PTT Radio - earpiece, mic and PTT button!

Rorcon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

I recently purchased some Baofeng UV-5R radios. They're grand and work well. The problem I have is that the PTT button on the mic piece is small and, call it old age, I'm forever fumbling to get it.

I have checked in store and am being told that although there are larger PTT buttons available, I would need purchase a large earpiece/built in mic to avail of the larger PTT button config, such as the swimmer headset or larger tactical headset. 

Does anyone know if there is an inner ear piece with low profile mic (similar to what sports presenters have that consist of a small arm extending to your mouth), that will connect to a larger PTT button. I accept that a 3.5mm to 6mm phono adapter may be required.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Supporters

Hi,

So first off, it's not a 6mm phono plug. Z-Tactical make loads of different options but you could do worse than a throat mic version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-TAC-Tactical-Military-Bodyguard-Headphone/dp/B07BJ3SQPH/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=ZTAC&qid=1654612010&sr=8-10

I run a Midland shoulder mic (model is MA-26LK) with a simple single ear plug routed through a shoulder strap either on my chest rigs or on my backpacks.

Simple, cost effective (~€30) and doesn't involve bulky headsets that will only make you sweat more.

EDIT: whatever you buy, go for Kenwood 2 pin connectors

Edited by Skara

46 minutes ago, Skara said:

EDIT: whatever you buy, go for Kenwood 2 pin connectors

Just to second this... most ptt's with kenwood connectors will work.

For my opfor rig I've been using a retevis fist mic and a cheap D shape earpiece earpiece that plugs straight into it which work surprisingly well considering it costs about £18 or so off amazon. Link here and example earpiece here

Edited by Crazy_Crystal

Thanks guys.

This has been a lot of help. I was looking at the throat mics as well so it's good to hear that it's an option. I like the size of the fist mic and connecting an ear piece directly to it seems great.

Thanks again!

Yes, there are - like this.

However, you're then spending £150 - £200  (Code Red Headsets also have a good selection) on a radio that costs £30.

I've instead settled for a chunky ptt and a 3.5mm jack acoustic tube earpiece that plugs into it. Most of the time I'm only listening to traffic anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2022 at 16:31, Crazy_Crystal said:

Just to second this... most ptt's with kenwood connectors will work.

For my opfor rig I've been using a retevis fist mic and a cheap D shape earpiece earpiece that plugs straight into it which work surprisingly well considering it costs about £18 or so off amazon. Link here and example earpiece here

Thanks  for the advice Crazy_Crystal...I picked up these for now and will be trying them this weekend!

Mic and earpiece.JPG

On 21/06/2022 at 11:48, Rorcon said:

Thanks  for the advice Crazy_Crystal...I picked up these for now and will be trying them this weekend!

Mic and earpiece.JPG

Hopefully you got on ok, they're currently my go too for anything that doesn't require earpro... although sadly I have my fingers crossed you got a good pair... gotta love that made in china QC.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.