Medium Length Motors/Grips

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently picked up a secondhand D-Boys PDW. However the pistol grip was broken in transit and I can't find a direct replacement online. The place I got it from sent a standard M4 grip but it's significantly longer than the one it came with and as such I can't even get the motor to make contact with the gears.

Would replacing the motor for a long shaft one solve this, or is it not as simple as that?

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

• Supporters

Unless the grip is substantially thicker at the top, could you retain the existing motor shaft length, but shove it further up into the grip by packing underneath it?  It seems like this might be more secure than introducing shoogliness (my word for the day) by putting in a longer shafted motor that may have more of its length inside the grip than its stock spring is intended to tension.

Top quality enginenerding diagram, illustrating how you might be able to bodge it for the cost of a bit of dowel.

You could test the theory by taking the end off the grip and shoving the existing motor right in by hand (well, by thumb) to see if it'll engage (in Minecraft, obviously, never do this to a real high quality airsoft replica, you'll 100% shred your gears and open a rift in the space time continuum).

If so, you'll just / "just" need to get it pushed that far in by packing under it.

image.png.b934f220c1add7bd1ed4da3f876074d4.png

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Unless the grip is substantially thicker at the top, could you retain the existing motor shaft length, but shove it further up into the grip by packing underneath it?  It seems like this might be more secure than introducing shoogliness (my word for the day) by putting in a longer shafted motor.

Top quality enginenerding diagram, illustrating that you might be able to bodge it for the cost of a bit of dowel.

I reckon that could actually work.

It would also solve a lot of issues I've had in the past with motors being *slightly* too long for the grip, making motor height adjustment impossible (looking at you Specna Edge) and cramped/crimped/split wiring when stuffing the base plate on. I reckon a 3D printed inset could be fabricated easy enough.

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I reckon a 3D printed inset could be fabricated easy enough.

Given that I keep losing those annoying motor disks that stock grips tend to rely on to interface between the adjustment screw and the motor, I've just taken to cutting octagonal(ish) replacements out of whatever pieces of stiff plastic I happen to have to hand.  Section of fairly wide cable tie work well enough, and you could glue and stack them as high as you need. Also, wooden dowel remains a thing.  I'm actually eyeing up a broken arrow shaft as I type this... :D 

32 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

looking at you Specna Edge

I reckon the best thing you can do with a Specna Edge grip is to birl it into the bits box and fit just about anything else.  The $9.99 aftermarket one I got from AliExpress has a lovely big adjustment screw that doesn't need any silly disk on the end of it. It does come with a rubber o-ring, but that's not actually necessary.  If you needed to, you could drop a cylindrical dowel into the adjustment screw hole and it should be pretty stable.

image.png.7c55d5da6e61023635f4a4e798547b94.png

36 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I reckon that could actually work.

It would also solve a lot of issues I've had in the past with motors being *slightly* too long for the grip, making motor height adjustment impossible (looking at you Specna Edge) and cramped/crimped/split wiring when stuffing the base plate on. I reckon a 3D printed inset could be fabricated easy enough.

I find that with a-lot of the short type SHS/Rocket motors. I have had to cut down the motor pinion a few mm. Had to do it on both my Real sword T97's

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Given that I keep losing those annoying motor disks that stock grips tend to rely on to interface between the adjustment screw and the motor, I've just taken to cutting octagonal(ish) replacements out of whatever pieces of stiff plastic I happen to have to hand.  Section of fairly wide cable tie work well enough, and you could glue and stack them as high as you need. Also, wooden dowel remains a thing.  I'm actually eyeing up a broken arrow shaft as I type this... :D 

I reckon the best thing you can do with a Specna Edge grip is to birl it into the bits box and fit just about anything else.  The $9.99 aftermarket one I got from AliExpress has a lovely big adjustment screw that doesn't need any silly disk on the end of it. It does come with a rubber o-ring, but that's not actually necessary.  If you needed to, you could drop a cylindrical dowel into the adjustment screw hole and it should be pretty stable.

image.png.7c55d5da6e61023635f4a4e798547b94.png

Funny you should mention that….been running the G&G version of the grip for some time now….

image.png.cf4619c6c907f3dcbed17f0e2d0d75e8.png

Hey that's a nice high rise mount. 😉

Regards

1 minute ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Printer is very nearly repaired/dialed-in. I'll have a go printing you one tomorrow whilst I'm working from home.

Cool 👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.