Recommendations For Plates...

Spuggy1uk

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a pair of plates to fit a plate carrier (AVS type)?

More for plate carrier shape and support, rather than extra weight - ideally less than 1.5kg max each. 'Shooter' style, not 'swimmer'.

I do have a pair of old Trident Gear ones, but they are a bit heavy so was wondering if there was anything else out there.

Cheers.

You used to be able to get ex police ballistic plates that are made of a special type of layered plastic, super light weight (around 1kg per plate) and can give around level 3 protection. However eBay seems sold out....guess that could be a supply issue or Ukraine. 

Alternatively I've seen people use the cheap plastic ones and fill them with sand, rubber chippings (like at a playground) and then seal them back up with tape once they're at the right weight, they can get quite heavy though! 

• Supporters

I use Kip matt covered in duct tape , no weight , fairly ridged but still got enough ‘bend’ to them to not restrict movement . 👍

I used to use several old copies of AI magazine taped together in a plastic bag to keep moisture out, but later picked up a couple of the plastic dummy plates and found these more comfortable 

Best to use large bars of Kendal mint cake in the plate pockets. 

That way if you are forced to flee a zombie outbreak you can survive on it. 

Also GENUINE Kendal mint cake has been proven to be capable of stopping 12.7mm AP. It is vulnerable to mice however.

I had an issue where my plate carrier was too big and didnt fit properly, I grabbed some foam plates off of ali express that fit perfectly and only cost about £8 delivered 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.