Baofeng Radio compatibility

Skullchewer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Simple question really.

I'm looking at getting a baofeng uv-9r (and an amateur radio licence to use it), but I occasionally play with someone who uses a UV5-r.

Can someone on a UV-9r communicate with someone on a UV-5r?

Ta.

• Supporters

Further, both of them can use the PMR466 frequencies to talk to poors.

I'd question the value of a UV-9R for UK airsoft purposes, unless you're on a particularly huge site, as the UV-5R has a decent enough range as it is.

Still, we spend much more for much less without blinking. ;) 

You might want to pick a variant with the standard 2 pin kenwood headset connection, whatever the 9r uses looks proprietary and you'll find it difficult to find any decent compatible headsets or mics.

uv5rs are usually perfectly fine, but the QC on the headset connector on them is beyond shit, and generally leads to some connection issues, but thats what you get with cheap radios, that issue is sorted in their most recent stuff i think, but still run into people with uv5rs with that issue

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Tommikka said:

If both radios are tuned to the frequency’s within the licence then they can talk to each other 

It seems a little opaque who is actually covered by a Simple UK Light licence.  A Simple Site licence seems clearer, as it's tied to a base station at a fixed location.

In practice, I'm sure that if you can just rattle of a licence number it will end any discussion.  But strictly legally speaking, it does beg the question of how far you can distribute a licence.

If Alice is licensed, she can transmit.  But how closely associated does Bob have to be with Alice to also be covered for transmission?  And does it have transitory properties?  If Bob is considered licensed because he's talking to licensed Alice, is Charlie covered if he can hear and talk to Bob, but not to Alice?

I note that the licensee has to be a legal entity.  If that's an individual, I can't see how you could reasonably argue that it covers anyone else.  An "Unincorporated Association" seems be a safer bet if you want to share it among a team.

I mean for definitions of safety that involve no practical risk to begin with. ;) 

6 hours ago, Alpha.s1 said:

You might want to pick a variant with the standard 2 pin kenwood headset connection, whatever the 9r uses looks proprietary and you'll find it difficult to find any decent compatible headsets or mics.

uv5rs are usually perfectly fine, but the QC on the headset connector on them is beyond shit, and generally leads to some connection issues, but thats what you get with cheap radios, that issue is sorted in their most recent stuff i think, but still run into people with uv5rs with that issue

It's not impossible. They use a copy of the Motorola HT port, just a different screw size (source). You can also get U94 style PTT's for them (although these cost more than the radio.

I think the main selling point of the UV-9R's is the alleged water resistance, rather than the increased power, which was largely exaggerated in an analysis I read (don't have it to hand). Of course, you could achieve the same by putting it in a plastic bag, so...

Thats fair, its more the sake of compatibility than anything, the availability of kenwood 2 pin accessories is overwhelmingly more abundant and cost effective in the airsoft world.

but at the end of the day its your kit and your choices, and other than that one thing the radio will work exactly for what you want it to do, and will likely do so for a long time, barring a lemon 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.