Proof that Joule Creep is not a thing.

sonofsammo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well, not really. 
Sorry, I meant Joule creep is a thing.
Table attached is a set of five shot strings. First column is using 0.2g and second is 0.48g. Third column isn't relevant to Joule creep, I just wanted to know what difference a single power ring would make.
So by changing the weight of my ammunition I get around a 13% increase in power.
Because of variance in chrono's I don't run my rifle close to the 2.32J limit any more and still get decent enough range and accuracy.
But imagine if I had it set up for 2.32J on 0.2g BB's, as lots of places chrono on 0.2 - they even provide them for you.
That would mean when I swapped to my 0.48s, I would be shooting at around 2.62J. It's no longer an airsoft rifle. It's not an air rifle. It's a section five firearm. Which I could use at some sites to shoot AT people. 
Now that's just utterly fricking mental. In fact, what's more mental is, even without a change in ammunition, it's still a section 5 firearm, because of the "readily convertible" aspect.
Anyway, I'm off to somewhere that chrono's on 0.2s tomorrow. Tally Ho! 

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 13.07.08.png

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

Well, not really. 
Sorry, I meant Joule creep is a thing.
Table attached is a set of five shot strings. First column is using 0.2g and second is 0.48g. Third column isn't relevant to Joule creep, I just wanted to know what difference a single power ring would make.
So by changing the weight of my ammunition I get around a 13% increase in power.
Because of variance in chrono's I don't run my rifle close to the 2.32J limit any more and still get decent enough range and accuracy.
But imagine if I had it set up for 2.32J on 0.2g BB's, as lots of places chrono on 0.2 - they even provide them for you.
That would mean when I swapped to my 0.48s, I would be shooting at around 2.62J. It's no longer an airsoft rifle. It's not an air rifle. It's a section five firearm. Which I could use at some sites to shoot AT people. 
Now that's just utterly fricking mental. In fact, what's more mental is, even without a change in ammunition, it's still a section 5 firearm, because of the "readily convertible" aspect.
Anyway, I'm off to somewhere that chrono's on 0.2s tomorrow. Tally Ho! 

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 13.07.08.png

Don’t say the words ‘readily convertable’

Those are bad words.  But of course it’s what the police may find something to be capable of, which doesn’t specify what projectiles are used (which is of course part of the point in the legislation)

On your key point, I agree - I don’t believe that ‘joule creep’ is actually a thing, but that the equipment ought to be tested with the projectile.   And that gives the relevant velocity / energy 

The underlying science is the same in relation to the energy put into a projectile, then there’s all the numerous effects of acceleration, friction etc

Much simpler to fire a BB of x grams within the appropriate velocity that fits within the power limit

13 minutes ago, MagpieTactical said:

When I first upgraded my sniper rifle it was shooting 2.32 joules with 0.2, but creeping to 2.9 joules on 0.40g.

Yeah, that's really bad! I'm guessing you've corrected it since then?

When I did a spring setup in my VSR, it was 2.2J on .2s and 2.9J on .48s. I haven't tried feeding .2s into any of my snipers since then, but I might do it out of curiosity, as they're all set to 2.3J (apart from the m21 and spring VSR which are 1.14J)

49 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Yeah, that's really bad! I'm guessing you've corrected it since then?

Yeah was gutted that I couldn't use it.

Yeah, trimmed the spring and it now shoots a nice 2.28 joules on 0.45g

"Joule creep" is what happens when you use ammo that works more efficiently with the system. It may be a bit of a buzz word/phrase but it can make people more aware of the effects of changing ammo weight, and most of the time that's a good thing. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.