Best g17 internal upgrades

terrier

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have an old army armaments g17 gbb laying around that I'm gunna being up with lots of gold stuff cause why not question is what do people say are the best internal upgrade for performance? Accuracy range gas efficiency etc ? Would love to see pictures of other people builds

If a Maple leaf hop unit with I-piece fits, and  crazy jet barrel, yo want need anything else.

BUT

It will still be an AA pistol that will fall apart 

Sorry to be so blunt but the best upgrade for an AA Glock pistol is put it in the bin and buy a WE. You will spend more on the AA and it still won’t be as good as a stock WE.

for Glocks in general not much is needed. A bearing for the hammer is a good upgrade for smooth cycling as is a maple leaf hop chamber, rubber and a crazy jet barrel. Nothing else is really needed.

No need to apologies for being blunt. I know it's a crap pistol. Never messed about with gbb before. Will take the advice though and get a different base gun before I get any new parts :)

Pity because their P01 is rather good.

I guess all companies have their good and bad sheep...

(I'm looking at you WE Hi-Power 😒)

Edited by EDcase

True, all companies even the mighty Marui drop the ball on occasion and WE have a few notable lemons (yes the MK3 HP is right up on that list and I would happily junk mine if there was another more reliable option).

However the WE G series is very good and given the cost you can see why they are everywhere. There commonality is one of the reasons why many people are desperate to use anything else, 

• Supporters

Are you bagging on Army Armament mock-Glocks from personal experience?

My AA R17 has been fine for maybe 1,000 rounds, using its own mag or WE mags.  If that doesn't sound like much, I'd suggest counting how many pistol shots you actually go through in a day.

Paying TM or even WE prices for a woodland hip-hanger has never made sense to me, and my R17 has been fine as a CQB primary.  If and when it fails, I'm minded to just buy another (and end up with loads of spares) than sink money into it or pay more for another brand which might fail out of the box.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Are you bagging on Army Armament mock-Glocks from personal experience?

My AA R17 has been fine for maybe 1,000 rounds, using its own mag or WE mags.  If that doesn't sound like much, I'd suggest counting how many pistol shots you actually go through in a day.

Paying TM or even WE prices for a woodland hip-hanger has never made sense to me, and my R17 has been fine as a CQB primary.  If and when it fails, I'm minded to just buy another (and end up with loads of spares) than sink money into it or pay more for another brand which might fail out of the box.

True, I only ever think about guns to use, not hip hang.

I might think about a deact lol

Seriously, pistols for me mean Practical Pistol comps, I only ever look at them from that direction 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

I might think about a deact lol

Depends on the site, but I reckon many woodland players would be as well carrying a springer pistol just for looks.

On topic, I just threw a Maple Leaf 50 degree GBB bucking into my AA R17 and got on with using it.  The barrel could probably be improved, but I don't think the gas consistency of a GBB pistol (day to day or shot to shot) really warrants chasing perfect performance.

From personal experience I actually have an AA Glock in pieces in a box of bits somewhere around here. As a general rule I don’t comment about guns where I don’t currently own one (and can prove it with pics) and have at least a couple of range training session with it.

I bought the AA as on a visual inspection it looked decent and the price was too good not to try it. I had the same idea as the original poster that if I was going to change a whole bunch of bits I might as well save as much money on the base pistol as possible. Like RDB my measure of performance is practical pistol style shooting.

limited use (around 3000 BBs) showed that the tolerances and materials were not particularly good. There was extensive wear on the parts and consistency was poor by my standards (for torso hits at 10m it was ok but at that distance I expect at least a consistent 6” group which is well within the capability of a WE Glock straight from the box once the hop rubber has broken in).

Based on the current wear on my example my best guess is that it’s probably more than 50% worn out so probably only good for about 6000 bbs before it makes more sense to buy a new one than repair the one you have. I Have several WE glocks that are way over this with nothing more than a new hop rubber and a hammer bearing.

Mag is still going strong after a few new o rings so not a total wash out.

Edited by Cyberlawyer

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cyberlawyer said:

limited use (around 3000 BBs) 

That's maybe where we differ. I'd consider that to be good going for any airsoft GBB, or GBBR for that matter.

If you're doing a lot of practical pistol or running it as an HPA'd primary, it would be disappointing. 

But how many gas pistol magazines (full mags, not tactical reloads) do you get through in a skirmish day, even running in CQB?

When I look at the value proposition of the AA R17 per day, or per shot, I'm happy enough with mine.  The consistency isn't brilliant, although I might be sad if I'd tried anything better. There's some shininess around the trigger parts, but not significant wear yet.

I wouldn't recommend one for target shooting or as a regular use primary.  As an occasional bit of fun, eh.  For context, I also run spring shotguns and even a spring pistol a couple of times just for variety, I'm not looking for winr8.

Leave it be or buy a used we If you are going to bling it up ( that is if you intend to use it) as you can spend a lot of money polishing a turd and rolling it in glitter.

if you just want to make it look good and don’t care about performance then pimp away.

if you want a blinged up rif that works as well, get a tm based hicapa and watch your bank account shrink

On an average 1hr range session I use about 1000 bbs, so assuming I get two sessions in a week (which I try my best to do) and also assuming I was only doing pistol drills, the AA would last 3 weeks….

• Supporters

Fair enough, then it's worthwhile going for quality.

I do think it would be helpful if we opened our kimonos, so to speak, when asking for or offering advice.  The answer to "wut am best?" usually needs qualified with "best for what purpose, and what budget?"

For range shooting (if it’s competition based) then a stock tm g17 or 34 will run and run plus the recoil from a plastic slide speeds up double taps. I compete with glocks and hicapas depending upon how I feel and the discipline being shot. if you’re really set on a glock then I’ll not dissuade you but in the competition side of the airsoft world they are ultimately a compromise

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.