Reliable non rental

MattCoops91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an M4 platform that's cheap as possible but fires straight and hasn't been battered around for years like rental guns. 

I'm not new to the game I've been playing about 5 years (excluding the last 2 for COVID) so I had a few RIFS alreay but a couple of them had issues and since getting a new job and having a kid I have no time really to fix and internal issues unless I absolutely have to. 

I thought I'd get back into it using rentals but one game day using a G36 that was landing about 20ft short of anyone while they were hitting me dead between the eyes has put me off that idea. 

I just want a basic M4 platform that I can do a couple of bits to to get a consistent shot out of it. 

I'm considering:

CYMA cm.513

Maple leaf hop up rubber and nub

Clean the barrel properly 

Long term maybe fit a MOSFET if I ever get time and change the motor. 

My questions are as follows:

1) how's that for a general plan?

2) I only play (mostly) single shot sites and even on others I don't use full auto, could I run it stock with an 11.1 lipo for trigger response or would this shred the piston/fry the contacts? I would have assumed the issues with piston damage come more from it engaging before it's returned which should only be an issue on auto but I don't know about the contacts. 

Thanks for your time! 

First consider is what you have ok enough to fix up. If you have £150 too spend on a budget end M4 thats more than enough to send what you have to a decent tech.

Edited by heroshark

11.1v reduces the trigger switch life, and the more times it's activated (I.E semi auto) the quicker it will wear/burn out through electrical arcing across the contacts if there is no mosfet installed.

How long those contacts will last really depends on a few factors, including the quality of the switch in the first place. They could last months, or years, or fail during the first day of play.

Personally, if repairing you existing guns is not an option, I would bin off the idea of buying a Cyma and get one of these instead for £40 more. It has a proper fire control unit/Mosfet that side-steps the 11.1v issue entirely as it's an optical switch.

Lots of info on this thread here:

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I would bin off the idea of buying a Cyma and get one of these instead for £40 more

Agreed.

The cheap CYMAs are robust, but the plastic is very toyish.  Contacts are under £5, that's not a concern in airsoft terms, but my CM.516 (Big Dragon M140 motor, M90 spring) overspins and double-shoots on semi with 11.1V.

59 minutes ago, MattCoops91 said:

using a G36 that was landing about 20ft short

Using 0.28g+ BBs, with the hop adjusted for them?  If you're lobbing site 0.2g without dialling the hop in then that's not the G36's fault.

4 hours ago, heroshark said:

First consider is what you have ok enough to fix up. If you have £150 too on a budget end M4 thats more than enough to send what you have to a decent tech.

No the £150 was the money from getting rid of the couple of rifs I have ATM. 

4 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

11.1v reduces the trigger switch life, and the more times it's activated (I.E semi auto) the quicker it will wear/burn out through electrical arcing across the contacts if there is no mosfet installed.

How long those contacts will last really depends on a few factors, including the quality of the switch in the first place. They could last months, or years, or fail during the first day of play.

Personally, if repairing you existing guns is not an option, I would bin off the idea of buying a Cyma and get one of these instead for £40 more. It has a proper fire control unit/Mosfet that side-steps the 11.1v issue entirely as it's an optical switch.

Lots of info on this thread here:

This looks a really good shout and that review is incredibly in depth! Thanks for this, I've never really considered doue eagle as I'd only really heard bad things. 

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Using 0.28g+ BBs, with the hop adjusted for them?  If you're lobbing site 0.2g without dialling the hop in then that's not the G36's fault

I was using .25s and adjusted the hop as best I could. TBH the gun felt awful when shooting, hard to describe but I would say "bouncy" in the piston if that makes any sense? My friends rental was the same. TBH I just don't want to put my enjoyment of the game down to the quality of the rental when we get there. 

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on the M904g. Had an email saying it's arriving today so really impressed with that! 

Thanks for all of your advice! 

Enjoy your new gnu :)

You probably will need to replace the spring sooner rather than later but that *super* easy to do, and a spring costs a tenner. 
Apart from that I'd seriously say don't be tempted to 'upgrade' it, this gun shoots nicely and it seems (by all accounts so far) to be reliable, so have it and keep it as your Constant Friend rather than meddling and breaking it.  

So says a voice of experience 😛

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.