Recommendations for Kids'Face Protection

C-Diddy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After going to a couple of paintball parties and loving it, I've decided my 12 year old needs to know how good proper toy gun-based entertainment is, and I've promised to take him with me to a skirmish day soon.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for full facepro, as my local site only offers the wanky fencing-style masks for kids. I'd rather him have something more substantial that he can use for a couple of years. 

Seen this on Patrol Base, which seems ok 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/valken-annex-mi-7-full-face-mask

Just now, rocketdogbert said:

Expensive, but the best

Don't need the Dye I4/5's for a 12 year old. All paintball goggles from a major manufacturer have the same safety ratings.

My 13 year-old uses these (I actually have a few sets for both my sons/loaners): https://www.justpaintball.co.uk/products/empire-helix-thermal

Or for a few more quid, I hear these are pretty good value for money: https://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/hk-army-hstl-goggle-thermal

I personally use E-flexs - I've been using Empire goggles since waaay back in my Paintball-playing days.

The MI7 is OK, but they are just basic rental level goggles.  Hard plastic frame.

They are marketed under both Valken, Annexe & Sly brands 

The Dye I4s have been a favourite in airsoft, and the I5 is the latest iteration 

These are a premium goggle with a soft rubber frame, and the Dye family tends to have a smaller footprint which can be good for kids, but bad for those with big heads or chins

The best thing to do is to try some goggles on

I have a pair of the MI7s - which are cheap & cheerful, but they comfortably fit me

I used the Dye I3 pros which worked for me, but exposed my forehead, chin and also my mouth when talking/shouting.  I’ve been shot in the forehead and mouth quite a few times 

The I4s are smaller than I3s.

My preferred goggle on the market is the GI/VForce Grills.  There is finally a new Grills v2 out, I’m not convinced by the ‘new features’ to consider the v2 a better option, as opposed to just a new version.

The grills design has been around for many years and has stood the test of time well, they usually have a whole range of colour combinations which often meant good discounts as new season releases were announced.  The v2 could mean a price drop on some v1 stocks  

The best answer is for him to try some goggles on and see what feels good to him

Edited by Tommikka

Cracking suggestions there @Speedbird_666, thank you.

I get the whole Dye I4/5 thing, but it's excessive for his needs. Both of these look to be great options. He'll of course want me to stencil a skull on there!

3 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

The MI7 is OK, but they are just basic rental level goggles.  Hard plastic frame.

They are marketed under both Valken and Annexe brands 

The Dye I4s have been a favourite in airsoft, and the I5 is the latest iteration 

These are a premium goggle with a soft rubber frame, and the Dye family tends to have a smaller footprint which can be good for kids, but bad for those with big heads or chins

The best thing to do is to try some goggles on

I have a pair of the MI7s - which are cheap & cheerful, but they comfortably fit me

I used the Dye I3 pros which worked for me, but exposed my forehead, chin and also my mouth when talking/shouting.  I’ve been shot in the forehead and mouth quite a few times 

The I4s are smaller than I3s.

My preferred goggle on the market is the GI/VForce Grills.  There is finally a new Grills v2 out, I’m not convinced by the ‘new features’ to consider the v2 a better option, as opposed to just a new version.

The grills design has been around for many years and has stood the test of time well, they usually have a whole range of colour combinations which often meant good discounts as new season releases were announced.  The v2 could mean a price drop on some v1 stocks  

The best answer is for him to try some goggles on and see what feels good to him

Bit pricey for now but good suggestions. If he likes it I may up the budget, but for now the MI7 variant will be fine I think. 

1 minute ago, Tommikka said:

Dude - the Profiler shits all over Grills. I've owned several sets of both 'back in the day'. If they ever do a 'v2' Profiler (with soft ears) I would buy a set in a heartbeat. 

And everyone knows, that without a shadow of doubt, the best goggles (ever) are 1st Gen JT Flex 7/Proflexs with the super soft rubber lower (newer ones - post 2002ish changed the rubber and are not as good). Had so many bounces off that thing - saved me a couple of times in tournaments.

I digress...

@C-Diddy Whilst I5s have become 'de rigueur' with the Speedsoft kids, they are eye-wateringly expensive for a 12 year old that's never played.

This is me, with my two boys last year - I'm wearing E-Flexes along with the younger son (he nicked my spare - he has a set of green Helixs normally), my older son has the black Helix. All use the same lenses, just the frames that vary. The Helix foam around the frame is not as 'plush' as the higher end goggles though.

image.png.e3efcfbb5e6c9c3abe2bbf063ad2a525.png

If I was buying again - I would lean slightly towards the HK Army HSTL because it has an 'over the head' strap that will reduce the chance of it slipping down on a smaller head (i.e. kids). The foam looks better than the Helixs too, which definitely helps with comfort over a full day of play.

37 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Dude - the Profiler shits all over Grills. I've owned several sets of both 'back in the day'. If they ever do a 'v2' Profiler (with soft ears) I would buy a set in a heartbeat. 

And everyone knows, that without a shadow of doubt, the best goggles (ever) are 1st Gen JT Flex 7/Proflexs with the super soft rubber lower (newer ones - post 2002ish changed the rubber and are not as good). Had so many bounces off that thing - saved me a couple of times in tournaments.

I digress...

@C-Diddy Whilst I5s have become 'de rigueur' with the Speedsoft kids, they are eye-wateringly expensive for a 12 year old that's never played.

This is me, with my two boys last year - I'm wearing E-Flexes along with the younger son (he nicked my spare - he has a set of green Helixs normally), my older son has the black Helix. All use the same lenses, just the frames that vary. The Helix foam around the frame is not as 'plush' as the higher end goggles though.

image.png.e3efcfbb5e6c9c3abe2bbf063ad2a525.png

If I was buying again - I would lean slightly towards the HK Army HSTL because it has an 'over the head' strap that will reduce the chance of it slipping down on a smaller head (i.e. kids). The foam looks better than the Helixs too, which definitely helps with comfort over a full day of play.

That looks and sounds a very sensible choice. Especially like the 'over the head' strap as slippage could be an issue. I'll get an HK ordered I think.

Like you say, for me Dyes always conjure up images of bendy little bastards in black skinny jeans, firing 80 rps from HPA-tapped hi-capas. It's made me (unfairly) biased against them I guess. The price tag is also a turn off, especially for a 12 year old first timer. 

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Don't need the Dye I4/5's for a 12 year old. All paintball goggles from a major manufacturer have the same safety ratings.

Need and want aren’t the same obviously, I always buy the best protection I can afford, each to their own though

4 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

I always buy the best protection I can afford

Good for you.

Again - Low and high-end goggles are very much the same when it comes to protection - they have to all conform to the same safety standards when it comes to use at any insured Paintball field.

In fact you can argue that lower-end goggles offer more protection in terms of facial coverage (generally larger profile) and use the of hard plastics instead of rubber and other soft materials (i.e. around the ears and jaw). Hard plastics suck for paintball, but for BBWarz/LARPsoft...not so much.

You are paying for - looks, comfort (which is subjective because everyone's head is different) and of course, the Dye logo (overrated in my experience). 

And there is no way that I ever would buy my 13 year old a £160-odd set of goggles just so they can roll with the cool kids.

I'd get one of the one tigris small size mesh lowers and attach it to a goggle of your choice . If you want something with a thermal lens maybe something like the pyramex v2g. Be a hell of a lot less bulky than a pb mask and a better cheek weld. 

Edited by heroshark

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, heroshark said:

I'd get one of the one tigris small size mesh lowers and attach it to a goggle of your choice . If you want something with a thermal lens maybe something like the pyramex v2g. Be a hell of a lot less bulky than a pb mask and a better cheek weld. 

Depends on the site though - some will want a single piece full face for a 12 year old, rather than two-piece.

I'll echo the above about the MI7: they're fine if they fit. If they don't then you could try to heat and remould the frame.  I stress could, it would be a bit dicey either with the lens in (the inner pane would be prone to melting) or out (it might not fit back in the frame again).

43 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Depends on the site though - some will want a single piece full face for a 12 year old, rather than two-piece.

What I meant was you can hook up the mask onto the goggles to make a one piece setup. Larger style goggles tend to be ideal as you can use the vents on the bottom to attach to. Just need a little shaping to get a more natural fit and contour the goggles properly.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQgvp7gqIlt/?utm_medium=copy_link

1 hour ago, heroshark said:

Funnily enough I've actually got a set of Valken-branded Pyramex V2G goggles (they cost about £30 IIRC). My eldest used to use them with his helmet setup, using a mesh lower. He now uses Paintball goggles. Found the lack of ventilation in the Pryamex a real problem with sweat/condensation (but not necessarily fog) dripping down the lens.

image.png.d70dc492275cca57ef8355258ff64e82.png

Like you say, cheek weld can be an issue for goggles though, but my boys don't seem to mind watching the BB's and adjusting aim from their flight, although drop-stocks/red dot risers can mitigate this.

16 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Funnily enough I've actually got a set of Valken-branded Pyramex V2G goggles (they cost about £30 IIRC). My eldest used to use them with his helmet setup, using a mesh lower. He now uses Paintball goggles. Found the lack of ventilation in the Pryamex a real problem with sweat/condensation (but not necessarily fog) dripping down the lens.

Aye I agree, they are not the best. Just the most cost effective frame off the top of my head. There are probably better dual pane goggles out there you can apply this setup too but probably more expensive.

All good points boys, thank you. A Dye is off the cards but something of the MI7 ilk will be fine. The cheek weld is not a consideration as I'll be giving him an AK with a hi-cap for simplicity. He'll just walk them on target.

Good shout about the fitment. One I'll make sure we square away properly.

6 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

I'll be giving him an AK with a hi-cap for simplicity.

I like the cut of your Jib. 

We tried Chest rigs (including a custom-made kid-sized one as per my previous pic), Belt rigs etc. with my boys, but found them encumbering (at best) and hot, uncomfortable and fatigue-inducing (during the summer) at worst. 

Once I gave them a bag of BB's, two hi caps and a Aliexpress cheapo dump pouch, their enjoyment in playing went up considerably. A cheap Magpul MS3 sling knockoff also helps too between the games so they can rest their arms.

Of course some kids want to look like they've jumped straight out of a COD game, or decked out like SEAL Team 6, but they are just kids at the end of the day and I've seen enough youngsters blowing chunks or breathing out of their arse decked out in plate carriers and and full brain bucket setups over the years to know it's not a good idea.

I like playing with my two as I get them to do all the stupid stuff my fat arse can't be bothered to do. Need a runner to flank quickly? send a kid. Need a point guy to hit a building?, send a kid. Need a suicide run for the flag? You get the idea.....😁

2 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I like the cut of your Jib. 

We tried Chest rigs (including a custom-made kid-sized one as per my previous pic), Belt rigs etc. with my boys, but found them encumbering (at best) and hot, uncomfortable and fatigue-inducing (during the summer) at worst. 

Once I gave them a bag of BB's, two hi caps and a Aliexpress cheapo dump pouch, their enjoyment in playing went up considerably. A cheap Magpul MS3 sling knockoff also helps too between the games so they can rest their arms.

Of course some kids want to look like they've jumped straight out of a COD game, or decked out like SEAL Team 6, but they are just kids at the end of the day and I've seen enough youngsters blowing chunks or breathing out of their arse decked out in plate carriers and and full brain bucket setups over the years to know it's not a good idea.

I like playing with my two as I get them to do all the stupid stuff my fat arse can't be bothered to do. Need a runner to flank quickly? send a kid. Need a point guy to hit a building?, send a kid. Need a suicide run for the flag? You get the idea.....😁

Haha, yes! I've got some mid caps on the way for the AK and a Chicom he could wear, but I'll keep things as light as simple as possible. Only extra I'll give him is a radio in case he bombs off on a suicide run.

Tbf I told him to go and capture the flag at paintball on Sunday and I'd cover him. Truth is I was fucked so needed a breather. He took two shots to the neck which left him looking like he got hickies 😂

• Supporters

1000% this, the best times I've had have been unclicking the buckles, dropping all the tacticool gear, and running around in a t-shirt with my pockets stuffed with hi-caps.

We get caught up our "loadouts" (*cough* costumes *cough*) but the core experience of playing airsoft is just pointing a toy and shouting "Brrrrt".

In the morning I'm a T1 operator ready to wage a one man war. After lunch, a cop on the verge of retirement; no gear, no gameplay, no energy 

19 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

In the morning I'm a T1 operator ready to wage a one man war. After lunch, a cop on the verge of retirement; no gear, no gameplay, no energy 

I can relate to that, in the morning it's all tac vest full metal gun and a load of gas mags plus secondary. After lunch its the plastic MP5 and a mag in each trouser pocket !

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.