Returning to Airsoft after 10 years

Mogwi1972

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All, you probably get asked this constantly, but I’ve been away from airsoft for 10 years and now making my come back.

needless to say I need to go down the TwoTone gun route.

I’m after some recommendations for CO2 Pistols with or without silencers being stored in tactical chest rig, and a Assault Rifles previous had a M4 back in the day looking for options.

thanks in advance

Welcome back!  I've done similar to you, returning after a long hiatus.  The obsession bug has bitten deep on me too, I've always researched deeply on any purchases I've made, and with Airsoft the amount of stuff to look at is HUGE so it's almost never ending 🤗

(Except I actually have reached the point of owning so much stuff that I've got nothing left to get, I'm now buying better versions of stuff I've already bought.  This makes me sad 😑)

One piece of advice I think everyone will give you... Don't buy two tone.  It'll be a PITA to repaint, better off getting a UKARA or joining a site with a shop that'll sell you a black gun when they know you're serious.

Quite a few of us have Double Eagle M4s, they're reasonably priced and seem to be reliable, though may need a spring upgrade early in their life.  Luckily that's easy.

I love mine.  Plenty of threads on here about them.

CO2 pistols can run too 'hot' so some sites don't like them.  Check before buying one.  Your alternative is to buy a Tokyo Marui pistol that will run well in the cold weather, and be rather accurate too.

Welcome back 🖐

I think the main thing that's changed in the last 10 years is the engineering and manufacturing has improved to a point where even budget guns work well enough for general game days.

You don't need to spend a fortune to get a decent metal body and accurate enough AEG.  (Of course looking for perfection gives diminishing returns)

Good budget makes include: CYMA, JG, Double Eagle, Specna Arms

I agree with Rostok.

Rent for 3 games. Yes its a pain but you'll get to try the latest budget guns to see what they're like and see what other people have to help you decide what to get.

Don't get a Co2 pistol for games.  Many sites don't allow them as they're often too hot.  (They're a pain to use as well)  TM plastic slide pistols work very well in Winter or you can get Red/Black gas for metal slide pistols in cold temps.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

+3 to the above.

Renting will get you back into it and see if you're still keen in a couple of months.  Given that you'd be spending on BBs anyway, rental packages don't run as expensive as they seem.

If you do crack and decide to buy something before then, a cheap pistol to supplement a rental AEG isn't a crazy proposition.  Pistols can generally be had two-toned fairly cheaply, and slides are replaceable or modifiable when you reckon you have a defence for that.

If you're after silenced, the ASG Mk23 non-blowback green gas pistol is pretty popular, good value, and will perform in the cold.

Another cheap option is the Army Armament R17 which can be had with either metal or polymer slides.  Metal will give more kick, polymer will cycle better in the cold, and the real "steel" gun is plastic anyway.  They take WE or TM mags just fine and can be had for half the price of a TM Glock 17.

And the AAP-01 is getting a lot of love.  Considering the amount of aftermarket parts available, fixing a two-tone will be easy enough.

The problem with anything at the moment is finding it in stock.

Thanks all for your valued feedback and will take it all on board, small have a 24 year old son who is also biting at the bit to get on board, thankfully he’s buying his own guns…..

reading between the lines, you can get any gun twotoned at a small additional charge of £15, so I was considering doing this and then getting it resprayed for similar cost. Food for thought though.

thanks again.

19 minutes ago, Mogwi1972 said:

Thanks all for your valued feedback and will take it all on board, small have a 24 year old son who is also biting at the bit to get on board, thankfully he’s buying his own guns…..

reading between the lines, you can get any gun twotoned at a small additional charge of £15, so I was considering doing this and then getting it resprayed for similar cost. Food for thought though.

thanks again.

I think you might struggle to find a retailer who'd "re-tone" a gun for the same £15, I suspect they're maybe taking a small hit in profit to widen their market place by offering the two toning service.  Also I think some guns are manufactured that way? ("Pre two-toned"?)

However, I have had great fun painting my guns with some camo paints bought from Halfords (and there are lots more paints on eBay too).  Personalised guns FTW!
Wear and tear may make the bright colour show though, which might not look as acceptable as some original black or tan paintwork.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Guest Mr. No_Face
44 minutes ago, Mogwi1972 said:

thanks again.

No need to respray. You can save yourself the money and trouble using white spirit alcohol to strip the two tone off. Obviously after you've obtained your UKARA player number. 

• 1 month later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.