What Gun Should I Get

Airsoftnoob420

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey Im only 14 and wanting to get into airsoft. I'm lucky enough to be able to save up to buy a gun under £150. The one I'm currently looking at is the g&g cm16 raider 2.0 but I would like to know if there is any other good guns or better ones I shoukd think about. 

(edit) 

I would be playing mostly outdoors but indoors some of the time 

-thanks 

Edited by Airsoftnoob420

Hi and welcome

First thing to do is read up on purchasing rules.

You'll have to ask one of your parents to buy it and it will have to be painted a bright colour ('TwoTone', usual choice is Red, Blue, Green)

Also look at Jing Gong (JG), CYMA and Specna Arms for good & well priced gunz.

If you intend to use it for actual skirmish games then you should also look into getting a couple of LiPo batteries and a decent charger.

Search the forum for 'lipo battery' and 'intelligent charger'.

Edited by EDcase

Ignoring the age issue (I assume your parents will be doing the buying), the G&G Raider 2.0 will do you fine. Combat Machines have been the go-to beginner gun for over a decade. But they are not the no-nonsense budget option that they used to be - their prices have been creeping up over the last few years, but their feature set has not.

You do get more for your money by looking at other brands. Specna Core series (starting at £95) comes in a fair bit cheaper with extra features and parts. Evolution uses the same manufacturer as Specna to produce their series of (slightly different) guns. You've got Cyma, who have come on leaps and bounds in recent years, and the new Double-Eagle guns that seem to be gaining market traction too. There's also rebranded Classic Army AEGs from ASG that punch well above their weight given their £140 price tag.

There's a huge choice now in the ~£150 market. It's a great time for new players. There are very few genuinely bad guns now (but avoid Nuprol!) - you just have to pick the look/feature set that suits you best.

@Speedbird_666 Thanks this is very informative. Yeah I get some money a week if I do chores ext so I'll just save up. Have a good one

@EDcase is it illegal to have a gun none 2 tone. And yeah iv looked into lipos. Iv heard 11.1v were good. And I do fpv drone flying so iv got chargers. I'm in the UK if that changes anything about the rules. Thanks have a good one

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Airsoftnoob420 said:

@EDcase is it illegal to have a gun none 2 tone. And yeah iv looked into lipos. Iv heard 11.1v were good. And I do fpv drone flying so iv got chargers. I'm in the UK if that changes anything about the rules. Thanks have a good one

If your parents are going to buy you a gun and gift it to you and they don't have a defence to allow them to buy a non two-tone gun then they will only be able to buy a two tone. The law around RIFs is a bit back to front in as much as it's illegal but you can have a defence against prosecution. It's not illegal to own a non two tone but it's illegal to be sell one to you if you don't have a valid defence.

• Supporters
Just now, Airsoftnoob420 said:

@Lozartso should I just get a 2 tone to be safe?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Airsoftnoob420 said:

@Lozartso should I just get a 2 tone to be safe?

Technically that’s all a store should be selling you.

as Loz said it’s all a bit silly and experienced players will tell you largely pointless and full of holes but nothing wrong with two tones, they works exactly the same as a super leet tacticool special ops paint job one, and once you start playing technically your allowed to paint it with a ‘defence’, being an air softer is usually considered a defence but the word of the law, what is sensible and what people will actually care about and/or enforce are all different things. But again it’s not illegal for you or a parent to buy a black one, but it is for a store/person to currently sell you one from what you have said.

Back to your original question nothing wrong at all with a cm16, it was my first gun and still works fine’all these years later. It’s a great starting place and something you can use confidently for a few years and not feel outraged or outgunned, that will come later but it will serve you well.

obviously there are a whole range of makes, styles and options to explore so have a little look, as us our opinions and look at YouTube reviews to form your own ideas too.

Also kudos to you for coming on here writing proper sentences and asking sensible questions. There have been a load of adults who couldn’t manage that half the time :D  

@Albiscuit yeah I might just get a red 2 tone then paint it as you said. And is it ok if you clarify what the defense part was about. Thanks. Also. Thanks for the last bit. I'm just trying to come into here without annoying people cause I don't know that much. Also iv looked around on YouTube and the cm16 is the best one or maybe the tippmann commando m4. Thanks 

There’s been a hell of a lot of talk on the actual definitions of a “defence” and what is and isn’t possible, have a look in the law section on here I’m sure there’s a guide.

But my interpretation is:

a defence is needed to BUY a RIF (RIF being REALISTIC, ie black).

an IF (imitation firearm, or two tone) can be bought without a defence.

Under 18s cannot buy any.

A defence is typically a UKARA number which you get by playing three games at the same site in a certain period of time, sometimes a site membership is also this.

there are other official defences such as needing it for a prop or being part of an reenactment club. But being a player could be argued as a defence. Obviously not for your first purchase.

As mentioned it’s to stop someone selling, you as a buyer do not really need to worry, a seller needs to make sure they feel they have done their duty and sold it to someone who is sensible enough not to wave it around or be a dick basically.

I have purchased loads of guns in store without any official documents such as a ukara as the shop knew I was a regular player 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.