Iron Sights Too Low

Jamesy13

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys 

I am very new to airsoft and recently purchased my first rifle. Its a G&G CM16 carbine https://nuprol.com/g-g-cm16-carbine-black.html

When I tried it in the shop I loved the iron sights but made a typical noob error and didnt try it with a lower face mask. I am finding it difficult to get low enough behind the sight to aim.

From what I can see I have 2 options, put a picatinny riser under the rear sight or replace it with a reflex sight. Would a reflex be higher? If i have a high reflex, would I be able to zero it correctly?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Cheaper solution:

half mesh face mask and remove the padding on the cheeks :) you get to keep your smile and not need a riser or add unnecessary weight to your gun :)

And yes with a higher dot you'll still be able to zero it.

Having a "long" height over bore can cause some issues when firing over cover or a window, you think your muzzle is clear and you just dumb BBs in the window frame or the large trunk you're taking cover behind. It's just something to keep in mind :)

18 minutes ago, Skara said:

Cheaper solution:

half mesh face mask and remove the padding on the cheeks :) you get to keep your smile and not need a riser or add unnecessary weight to your gun :)

Having a "long" height over bore can cause some issues when firing over cover or a window, you think your muzzle is clear and you just dumb BBs in the window frame or the large trunk you're taking cover behind. It's just something to keep in mind :)

Brilliant thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestion first. When picking a red dot, I am looking at open reflex and tubed. I see a lot of tubed being used, would they be ok or do they obscure your FOV too much?

Im looking at this range:

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/red-dot-sights.html

Thanks

I prefer tubed as they're sturdier (i'm a function over form type of person), but you pick what you like the most :)

They are both the same though, the point of a dot is to aim with both eyes open, so the optic's body will naturally fade as you focus on the target.

• Supporters

Skara's about covered it, I just wanted to clarify that the masks in question look like this:

GES Foldable Tactical Half Face Mask Outdoor Mask Protective Mesh Riding Breathable Mask for Airsoft Paintball CS with Adjustable Belt Strap (Green)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GES-Protective-Breathable-Paintball-Adjustable/dp/B0721SNZ2S

Other colours / styles / price points and features are available, the important point is that they've got fabric on the sides, usually padded to some degree.

On the sights, oof, those prices. I just run cheap reflex sights.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363037373746

With a sight protector / bit of polycarb stuck on.

You can run them on a riser, I'd recommend a 1" see-through like this (UK sellers are probably available, I usually go with InYourSights, but they aren't listing them at the moment)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192038584804

See-through is lighter and also you can, well, see through it, if your optic craps out or you go with a magnified one but want to retain some basic point-and-pew sighting option.

• Supporters

Oops, I derped my post, that was what I was intending to suggest.

Are you saying that you've already got one of those, or that you're wanting to get one?

If you've got one and still have problems, I'd start throwing rail risers and your choice of optic on there, you'll be able to find a combination that works.

6 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Oops, I derped my post, that was what I was intending to suggest.

Are you saying that you've already got one of those, or that you're wanting to get one?

If you've got one and still have problems, I'd start throwing rail risers and your choice of optic on there, you'll be able to find a combination that works.

Lol no worries.

Yes thats what I currently use. I think I will go down the riser and red dot, should be loads more comfortable.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Also I dont mind spending a little extra on the sight as it will also be used on an Ar 15 .22lr.

4 hours ago, Skara said:

Cheaper solution:

Less hamsteriness in my future. Why are simple things not obvious until someone says it. 

21 minutes ago, Ropeyshep said:

Less hamsteriness in my future. Why are simple things not obvious until someone says it. 

You should try being poor :P

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Skara said:

Having a "long" height over bore can cause some issues when firing over cover or a window, you think your muzzle is clear and you just dumb BBs in the window frame or the large trunk you're taking cover behind.

Could be worse - I keep resting my fake barrel on top of cover, with the expected results. :D

image.png.0a1166d14e4d55415f4648707131c642.png

9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Could be worse - I keep resting my fake barrel on top of cover, with the expected results. :D

image.png.0a1166d14e4d55415f4648707131c642.png

Well we all know you're speshul :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.