Gear Advice

LiamT
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so I've been to a few skirmish's I already have gear thats brand new from a friend as he deals in stuff, so I have an ICS CXP Peleador C m4 and my questions are 1) I know this gun is good as a starter but I'd like to spend money on my gear so should I upgrade the ICS or just wait and buy a better gun once I have the money? and 2) if going upgrade option what would be good upgrades?

• Moderators

ICS make good gear, but upgrading the split gearbox system differs a lot from standard v2's, & limits what's generally available.

BUT, as with most of the quality manufacturers, why "fix it" if it ain't broken, dress it up with pretty bits, use it, it might go on for years, & worry about so called upgrades only when your absolutely forced to, spend your money on other "essentials".

If it's snappy, shoots nice and doesn't sound like a bag of nails I don't see the point of upgrading it.

If you want more range use heavier bbs and maybe a ML macaron/prommy purple.

ICS guns, despite being old technology and generally heavy, work just fine.

57 minutes ago, Skara said:

If it's snappy, shoots nice and doesn't sound like a bag of nails I don't see the point of upgrading it.

my first was an ICS L85.... still runs fine after quite a few years

15 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

What about the ics specifically do you find is not as good as you'd like it to be?

its not that I find anything bad I just talk to friends and they're talking about full metal receivers and guns and tokyo marui guns and I'm not sure what I want be spending my money on a new aeg or mods so I'm just looking for advice :)

4 hours ago, Skara said:

I was thinking a Prometheus tight bore barrel  and maybe one of the various hop up mods, it works fine I just want to see if I can (and should) make it better or just buy a brand new aeg

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, LiamT said:

its not that I find anything bad I just talk to friends and they're talking about full metal receivers and guns and tokyo marui guns and I'm not sure what I want be spending my money on a new aeg or mods so I'm just looking for advice :)

as a general rule most aeg's can be brought up to a pretty equivalent standard. ics's externals are pretty decent. remember "metal" in airsoft can be anything from die-case chinesium to actual proper alloy/steel in the same way plastic can mean anything from cheese to proper fibre reinforced polymers.

the thing is, chasing a particular feature (for example accuracy) is a journey of diminishing returns, depending on your defintion "good enough" it's easy (ie most stock guns will already be at that level with a simple barrel clean) but the more you chase precision the more expensive and technical it gets.

it's an easy thing to be fooled into thinking to upgrade for the sake of upgrading (god knows we've all been there) but sometimes it's better to just leave good enough alone. skara summed it up pretty well:

4 hours ago, Skara said:

31 minutes ago, LiamT said:

I was thinking a Prometheus tight bore barrel  and maybe one of the various hop up mods, it works fine I just want to see if I can (and should) make it better or just buy a brand new aeg

if you are asking about metal bodies I assume you have a sports line ICS with a plastic body. For an M4 a metal body is a worth while up grade as it will reduce barrel wobble. This is not difficult to do but ICS bodies are proprietary so you can only put on an ICS body. thankfully you have the likes of Firesupport in the UK which is an ICS stockiest. ICS are good brand and so long as the power is constant i would just switch over the hop nub to a flat hop nub and use good quality heavy weight BBs at least 0.25g (CQB) 0.28g (out doors). If you like M4s do not get a Tokyo marui unless you are willing to spend the money and get a recoil version. (personal opinion they are lovely guns but for the price you can get 2 or 3 good AEGs that don't have recoil of bolt stops but still shoot well.) 

What Adolf said.

I have a drawer full of "upgrades" I bought when I started and then realized they didn't add any performance to my guns.

Just stop watching *1000$ gun owns the field* videos :P

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Skara said:

I have a drawer full of "upgrades" I bought when I started and then realized they didn't add any performance to my guns.

only a drawer full? :P

4 hours ago, BigStew said:

if you are asking about metal bodies I assume you have a sports line ICS with a plastic body. For an M4 a metal body is a worth while up grade as it will reduce barrel wobble. This is not difficult to do but ICS bodies are proprietary so you can only put on an ICS body. thankfully you have the likes of Firesupport in the UK which is an ICS stockiest. ICS are good brand and so long as the power is constant i would just switch over the hop nub to a flat hop nub and use good quality heavy weight BBs at least 0.25g (CQB) 0.28g (out doors). If you like M4s do not get a Tokyo marui unless you are willing to spend the money and get a recoil version. (personal opinion they are lovely guns but for the price you can get 2 or 3 good AEGs that don't have recoil of bolt stops but still shoot well.) 

thanks you everyone for your advice and words, I have a feeling since the internals are pretty good and sound for this gun I will be taking the path above, thank you for your recommendations, also what kind of tracer unit would everyone recommend as my friend has said about doing some night and indoor low light skirmish's once quarantine is over so I really want to get a nice tracer unit? 

1 hour ago, LiamT said:

thanks you everyone for your advice and words, I have a feeling since the internals are pretty good and sound for this gun I will be taking the path above, thank you for your recommendations, also what kind of tracer unit would everyone recommend as my friend has said about doing some night and indoor low light skirmish's once quarantine is over so I really want to get a nice tracer unit? 

Any  AceTech Tracer

6 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

only a drawer full? :P

Don't get me started on this. I'm so pissed that I have loads of unused stuff...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Skara said:

Don't get me started on this. I'm so pissed that I have loads of unused stuff...

That's what they invented the classifieds for ?

(Said the man who's got about 3ton of kit, & keeps buying but never sells 😏)

Archived