Springs in BASR's

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm wondering if my spring needs changing, but I have no idea when such things should be done.

How many shots are they good for?
How often do you change them?
How do you know if it needs changing?

Any help would be much appreciated!
TIA 😄

• Supporters

Unless your leaving it cocked when not in use, I can't see the spring pressure decreasing in any way, unless it's a really low quality spring, but usually they're tempered steel.

You'll likely get an initial small drop, 10-15 fps (ish) going from a brand new spring to a used spring having had a fair few hundred cycles. Personally I prefer a worn in spring as it will be more consistent.

If FPS drops a little too much you can either swap for a new one which is a little stronger or drop an "adjuster ring" in to increase pressure and boost up by 10fps.

The only reason to swap is if it becomes damaged or collapses entirely (AirSoft Pro ones used to do this).

Spring quality will affect the FPS drop, if it's a good quality spring (Rapax for example) it will likely be truer to the desired output and stay there consistently more than a really cheap spring which is badly made and will likely deform and cause problems.

The worst spring I have ever had is the Sniper One branded piece of garbage from ASPUK. Supposedly an M150 which only performed at 470 initially and then dropped off from there, deformed after around 6 months of use. Swapped said spring for an AA M150 and the difference was night and day, actually got to 490FPS and it stayed there.

I have had the same spring in my Striker for the last last 3 years, its an M150 and has not dropped bellow 490 fps in all that time (around 500 shots per week) so I would say that if it ain't broke don't fix it 😁

Archived