TM with SOPMOD batteries.. KEEP?

El aston
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey its me... The nause! Haha

Basically the gun i have brought has came with 2x SopMod 8.4 1300mAh 

Bare in mind i havent even used the gun yet so i dont even know how long they will last lol, but like is 2 batteries enough.. And i am thinking do i actually need the Lipo batteries as i have 2 of these and as they came with the gun?

Like to hear your thoughts lads... and ladies :) 

Maybe see how you get on with those batteries and then change up if they don't go the distance.

Lipo's are generally the way forward though.

8 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

The TM branded 'SOPMOD' batteries are awful, I have no idea why they even still make them.  Get a deans connector soldered onto the contact bars in the stock and use 7.4v LiPo batteries. 

Are they really that bad lol?

8 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

Maybe see how you get on with those batteries and then change up if they don't go the distance.

Lipo's are generally the way forward though.

Yeah that’s what I’m going to do mate see how long they last 

NiMh batteries are old.

The technology is old.

LiPos are the current standard, 7.4v batteries don't stress anything, are cheap and readily available, they last a lot longer than NiMhs and don't suffer from memory effect (or whatever it's called).

Just solder a deans connector and get a couple of decent LiPos 

• Supporters

Run the batts for your first few games , just so you get to know your new gun . as long as you don’t act like a total bellend blasting away at all and sundry they will last a day . But once your comfortable with it get the deans mod done , most go for a wire soldered to the contact bars but I prefer the more dramatic one . Basically you get rid of absolutely everything to do with the QC battery system so your left with just a red and black wire sticking out of the stock tube, I then solder a length of wire too each one and then the deans to that , this way I can run any stock I want on it I like .👍

If you trickle charge them, super slow you should get 1/2 day out of each one, dont fast charge as the cells dont like it and one will tend to take all the charge and render yours null and void.  But really go lipo its sooo much better.

5 hours ago, Skara said:

NiMh batteries are old.

The technology is old.

LiPos are the current standard, 7.4v batteries don't stress anything, are cheap and readily available, they last a lot longer than NiMhs and don't suffer from memory effect (or whatever it's called).

Just solder a deans connector and get a couple of decent LiPos 

Thank you mate 

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Run the batts for your first few games , just so you get to know your new gun . as long as you don’t act like a total bellend blasting away at all and sundry they will last a day . But once your comfortable with it get the deans mod done , most go for a wire soldered to the contact bars but I prefer the more dramatic one . Basically you get rid of absolutely everything to do with the QC battery system so your left with just a red and black wire sticking out of the stock tube, I then solder a length of wire too each one and then the deans to that , this way I can run any stock I want on it I like .👍

Thank you mate, is it best to take it to someone to do, I don’t fancy doing it myself lol

• Supporters

If you're getting the wires soldered onto the contact bars get it done by someone with a monster soldering iron (you'll NEVER get it hot enough with a little 20-30W hobby iron), if not you can do it yourself, it's just splicing some wires. 

You definitely need to see the back of these. I ran the Sopmods in my 416D Devgru. Naively I had the mindset of not upsetting the apple cart & messing with the internals, as others have stated, the Spomods would last half a day at best. I also opted to have the internals of the Sopmods upped as well, something that FireSupport carried out for me, whilst they had a bit more chuff were again still lucky to see out just over half a day & if i'm honest, for the mods which were carried out the gun felt & was low on FPS

When I added to my armoury a 416D Delta, I decided to bin off the Sopmod's, get the gun wired to deans & added a couple of lipo's. Suffice to say they're so much quicker to charge, last so, so much longer & the gun performs at the power output in line with the mods carried out.

Honestly the best mod ever carried out, win win all round ditching the Sopmods.

• Head Moderator

Have a search of the forum, there are some topics on the TM 416, i.e.:

Archived