Airsoft Forums UK
Sign in to follow this  
Asomodai

SE Tour Review: Bunker 51 (London)

Hello all. 

The only site that is genuinely in the London area. Take the underground to North Greenwich and a bus to the Thames barrier. 

Previous reviewers have rated this site mostly negative for the play area and average for the Marshaling. 

This is a very very small Urban site, Short range engagement distance only and with little elevation. 

Positives:

Location: The overwhelming positive is it's location, whilst not easy to get to by London standards (Not on underground and not exactly situated in the safest area) it is the closest site. It fills a niche that no other site fills. 

CQB setup: The actual site has plenty of features for it's size, barrels, bunkers, jail, clapped out pickup truck and the dirty smelly alleyway. Bunker 51 gets ridiculed for it's size quite often, but it genuinely does the best it can with that space. 

Beginner Friendly: The site is usually peoples first taste of airsoft (It was for me). It's tough but friendly. If you can survive a night being shot at all angles at bunker, you have pretty much gone through the worst pain airsoft has to offer. You could think of that as a negative, but it does give the full airsoft experience from that perspective. Plenty of new players come through the doors but everyone is friendly to them and accept that they were once new themselves. 

Marshal Jokes: Its a bit of a laugh. The marshals are mostly friendly and funny guys. They can give good advice and patient with new players. They don't suffer fools lightly which is a positive. 

UKARA Spam: This is one of the easiest places to get a UKARA number. 3 3 hour sessions and you have it. Bunker 51 run something akin to a hire to buy scheme. Buy whatever you want from Wolf Armories even without a UKARA number and they take it to Bunker 51 for you so you can use for that session, they will take it back to the shop and hold onto it until you complete your three skirmishes. 

Negatives: 

Size: Look, it's small and everyone comments on that, though in its defense no one is under any illusions as to what the venue is. Even the Marshals take the mick out of it! Despite the best efforts for changing up the game modes, it can be quite limiting as to what can be played. Could do with more safe zone space as well, don't bring much gear. 

Expense: As its London, I imagine the lease rate is quite high. But £30 for walk on fee is incredibly high considering you only get at most 3 hours of battle on a Saturday night. As Bunker 51 has a monopoly in London, they can charge quite a bit and be pretty much full every Saturday night supply and demand dictates the price here. 

Shop: There is none, no food either. Not surprised though given its location. 

Dark, wet and smelly: Running joke, but it really is wet and smelly. It is incredibly dark in places and hard to work out if you have hit anyone or even if you have fired a BB. Bring a tracer unit and you can have plenty of fun though! 

Chrono: I have never seen anyone have their rifle be Chronoed. It just doesn't happen. Its dangerous, especially considering the extremely short engagement distances. 

Conclusion: 

It is what it is. It has a monopolized position in London. It cannot be any better then it already is because of its location and size. But... it is fun, you can make friends there, its a good starting point for the sport and with a tracer unit can be quite rewarding. I feel that Bunker is a site you get out what you put into it.

People are allowed to ridicule it. But we are incredibly grateful that it exists. My only advice would be that the site owners need to start chronoing regularly. 

Once again another great and honest review. Had always heard of the Bunker and now I really want to try it. Might rock up on a Saturday with just the pistol in near future. 

24 minutes ago, Duff said:

Once again another great and honest review. Had always heard of the Bunker and now I really want to try it. Might rock up on a Saturday with just the pistol in near future. 

Thanks! Pistol only is actually the best way to play the site. Just make sure you fix a tracer to it! 

12 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Thanks! Pistol only is actually the best way to play the site. Just make sure you fix a tracer to it! 

Nah then they know where I'm shooting from. 😎

Pistols are great, trouble is when I played there (almost three years ago) it was full auto and there were support guns floating around. So whilst in theory a pistol is all you need, its bloody hard to get anywhere near anyone when theres sooo much plastic getting thrown at you. 

Some games were pointless as the layout was such that you couldnt move anywhere if the other team took up certain positions.

In my last visit I spent most of the game sessions sitting on a barrel in my spawn talking to a marshal and playing with his weapons (ooh eer missus)

17 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Pistols are great, trouble is when I played there (almost three years ago) it was full auto and there were support guns floating around. So whilst in theory a pistol is all you need, its bloody hard to get anywhere near anyone when theres sooo much plastic getting thrown at you. 

Some games were pointless as the layout was such that you couldnt move anywhere if the other team took up certain positions.

In my last visit I spent most of the game sessions sitting on a barrel in my spawn talking to a marshal and playing with his weapons (ooh eer missus)

I have only been playing a year. I have been to Bunker 4 times, first two times it was full auto for half the night. Third time was semi all night and the 4th there was just one round full auto.

Makes sense, it was just a bb spam when I used to go, not very fun at all.

For the price and size I wouldnt go back though. The Mall is 100% more fun and for the same price I get a whole day