Storage

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I don't think there are any laws or even any guidelines regarding storing your gear, unless I'm mistaken. I assume you're talking about private property here - As in your house for instance? 

Common sense is still up there though. Whilst yes these are toy guns hanging your RIF in front of the front window might attract the attention of the police or potential burglars. 

For RIFs other than common sense storage (out of sight of the public etc to avoid false alarms) there are no legal requirements on storage - unless they get treated as low power air weapons and there are minors on the premises.

For RIFs other than common sense storage (out of sight of the public etc to avoid false alarms) there are no legal requirements on storage - unless they get treated as low power air weapons and there are minors on the premises.

The Crime & Security Act 2010 added an offence if anyone under 18 has access to your property and you fail to reasonably secure air weapons

It’s arguable as to whether the act covers airsoft as air weapons, but they are mentioned in guidance, (that they aren’t fire arms) and do operate with air even when AEG

You don't need secure gun cabinets, it can be any method of securing such as a locked cupboard, a box, a lock on your gearbag etc

If minors don’t live with you or come round it doesn’t affect you, but family popped in and a nephew got nosey then it would - then it’s the question as to whether your storage was reasonable 

This was brought into place following incidents which included a child's death with their parents air gun

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/650548/air-weapons-a-brief-guide-to-safety.pdf

For pyro there are no special requirements unless the quantity is high enough 

Store in the packaging it came in and check out Enola Gaye guidance.

https://www.enolagaye.com/uk-pyrotechnic-storage-guidance-guidelines/

Their info pages have a wealth of information and it should be considered that Dr John was a lead in the production of European pyro standards 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Crime & Security Act 2010 added an offence if anyone under 18 has access to your property and you fail to reasonably secure air weapons

Huh, that I did not know.  The crime is [failing] to take reasonable precautions to prevent any person under the age of eighteen from having the weapon with him, which does require that Little Larry has gone on a rampage with it, not simply that they could have done so.

I keep mine in the garage, and while I trust my kids, there are occasionally neighbour kids in there.  Food for thought.

16 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Huh, that I did not know.  The crime is [failing] to take reasonable precautions to prevent any person under the age of eighteen from having the weapon with him, which does require that Little Larry has gone on a rampage with it, not simply that they could have done so.

I keep mine in the garage, and while I trust my kids, there are occasionally neighbour kids in there.  Food for thought.

Yes, the offence doesn’t really happen unless something has already gone wrong

My things are all stored in various places, a garage, a shed, bedroom, cupboards, and also lockup storage.

Ive a lot of stuff and have always had anything ‘weapon like’ locked / secured somehow

A few event props etc could take some explaining in the wrong context!

• Moderators

All my stuff is boxed/bags in loft, no one can get in their easily, especially the kids, and when I need it I grab the box of bits and box of clothing for game I’m wearing, bag of AEGs and away I go .... all fits in boot of golf easily :)

• Supporters

Another vote for the garage from me, keep them in locked cases if possible- mags and batteries  disconnected. 

Just keep it all safe, out of reach and out of sight etc, it's worth putting any batteries and the like in a fire-proof bag/container if you have one, better to be safe than sorry

I have my guns on my wall at the end of my bed :) 

Archived