GBB or AEG

davidverrall
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, 

I'm looking to get back into airsoft and I can't decide whether to go for a GBB or AEG rifle. My budget is in the range of £150 but I can stretch a bit more. I want something that's good build quality, preferably mostly metal construction with half decent internals. I have seen the Army r36k gbb rifle which looks good. Any advice on what to go for? I do not have a UKARA but the local shop says he can order me anything and keep it until I get my UKARA, they will take it to game days for me.

• Supporters

AEGs are cheaper to buy and maintain, so if you're on a budget that's the way to go. Just because it's made of metal doesn't mean its good quality, by the way. 

GBB are more fun, for sure. But unless it's a pistol you're not going to get anything good for £150. 

Go with a G&G CM16, JG G36 or CYMA AK. You seem to like the G36 so JG would be for you. 

GBBRs get expensive quickly (as I'm finding out!) - especially at £40-£50 for one magazine, which gives you a max of 35 shots - so you need quite a few!
I got a cheap AEG (Nuprol defender pioneer), which was okay, but wish I'd saved the dosh to go toward a GBBR.
But I'm a little impulsive, so just couldn't wait!
If you can wait and just use hire guns, then do that. They're not going to be much worse than whatever you buy for £150 imho. Do that for a few months and save  extra toward your very own gun - by which time you'll have UKARA number and be able to take your baby home after a skirmish.....
p.s. I've only been at this lark 5 minutes, so these are the musings of a noob on an accelerated learning curve....

1 minute ago, rocketdogbert said:

I’ll agree with everyone else, and add that gbb take a lot more maintenance compared to virtually zero on an aeg.

Although, being able to break your gun whilst maintaining it is half the fun! :lol:

Unless you’ve got £500+ to drop on a gbbr setup, get an AEG. 

Cheapest functional AEG is the WE G36c. You’re looking at £200 for the gun and £35 for each mag. I’d also reccomend a tightbore and a maple leaf. Mine shoots 310fps on a .2 and is man accurate to 60-65m on a .4 BB.

For £150 I’d buy an ICS sportline m4. High quality, reliable and easy to work on should you feel the need. 

Thanks for all the advice guys, budget isn't that big a deal, I just don't want to drop £££ on something then possibly never use it depending on work and family life as my daughter usually has a lot on at the weekends I think I'll go with a G&G cm16 as advised as it seems to be good bang for your buck. 

Screenshot_20180416-095516.png

Archived