AEG Scopes, What do people have...?

Aaronrichardson
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys

Ive been looking into scopes and boy o boy theres quite a lot to look at from holographic red/ green dots, to 3x-10x scopes with a mil-dot and the list goes on.

I play mainly woodlands and i did try a holographic on a game that i borrowed...and i hated it! not sure if its because it wasn't set up correctly but i found it hard to see through unless i was in a open area with direct sunlight. which isn't always the case in the woods.

What scopes do people have for woodlands play any pictures of guns/scopes and description would be great hopefully people can educate me abit more on this subject and help other people out to!

• Head Moderator

I have a VisionKing 1.5-5x32 scope on my AEG. It ihas very clear optics (an important consideration), and enough magnification with adjustment, red or green short dot, and costs less than £100 with mounts. I bought it so than I could locate players outside, it is very useful as a spotting scope, the 32mm lens gives a better field of view over the 26mm lens. Also you can see where your shots are hitting. I normally leave it on 1.5-2x magnification for wider field of view, and then simply zoom in if I want to look closer at object/person. Best magnification is what works for you.

There are several websites that sell them, I bought mine from eBay for convenience, and chose the 32mm lens for a slightly wider view.

Example of VisionKing 1.25-5x26 short dot scope - http://www.ebay.co.u...OMAAOSw9N1VwJcj

Holographic and red dot sights take some getting used too. You don't look through them, instead you shoot with both eyes open and sort of look 'past' the sight and let it superimpose the reticle on your vision.

With scopes go for a low magnification. At the ranges in airsoft you don't need any more than 4x, and generally 1.5x is fine.

• Supporters

Problem with a large portion of clone Aimpoints/EoTechs is the glass used is just terrible, you end up with a darkened blue or brown view through your optic that's a real disadvantage in anything but the perfect lighting conditions. Similar problems getting a reticule that's actually visible but also not ridiculously bright and bloomed out.

A variable power as mentioned is a very good option for outdoors if you buy a half decent one. Zoom in when you're just trying to spot that little blue armband through a bush at range, zoom it back out when you're shooting closer up.

Personally, after trying many options over the years I just don't bother with any optic if I'm expecting short distance shooting because you're faster simply not using an optic, practicing the skill and going off your honed instinct (given the short range of airsoft, point shooting covers a large portion of engagement distances). At longer ranges, I like some magnification just for target ID being a bit short sighted.

• Supporters

Holographic and red dot sights take some getting used too. You don't look through them, instead you shoot with both eyes open and sort of look 'past' the sight and let it superimpose the reticle on your vision.

With scopes go for a low magnification. At the ranges in airsoft you don't need any more than 4x, and generally 1.5x is fine.

One thing to point out is the holographic sights you come across in airsoft are not actually holographic they are just red dots made to look like holo sights.

This is a decent red dot without paying a fortune

http://www.ukmcpro.co.uk/UTG-Red-Green-CQB-Dot-Sight-w-QD-Mount-Gear/p/4/2/556088/

• Root Admin

I personally use a Eotech 551 with the 3x magnifier, it does its job well, and is enough for airsoft (and it doesn't cost a lot, about £55-£60 for both)

Archived