Osprey mk4 or other PC?

Siwel123

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I'm looking into getting airsofting, and would like a PC to play with. I'm looking at going to some sites soon and scanning for guns etc etc. But this kit important (apparently). So is this osprey mk4 a good idea, I'm looking at many PC but this stands out as a gooden. I am in cadets too so it needs to be able to carry 3 utility pouches and 3 double mag pouches minimum with plenty of molle space left to add extras. I am happy to listen to any suggestions and if these needs to be in the newbie section I apologise. I'm up for other suggestions such as webbing etc but it needs to be good, for airsofting and cadets.

Don't use a PC for cadets, you'll just get laughed at- plus they're really impractical for fieldcraft.

Get an Osprey Battle Belt set, they're pretty good quality and some places will sell them with 2x ammo and utility pouches. A friend of mine bought a set for £60 and it's decent stuff. Covered in MOLLE so there's plenty of room for additional pouches of any brand.

• Supporters

The Osprey is an armour carrier for conventional troops with a whole crap load of space for soft armour protection, not just a plate carrier. Hence, in an environment such as airsoft and military cadets where you're not getting blown up by IEDs, RPGs and other IDF, it does not make any sense at all. It's huge, bulky and heavy; massively over the top compared to a decent set of webbing as mentioned.

Personally I'd never recommend them to anyone for airsoft, child or adult, total overkill. If people like the look/for brit mil impressions then sure, but in terms of practicality - poor choice compared to many other options on the market.

• Supporters

Oh hell no, osprey is awful (unless you're getting shot at/blown up with real explosions, then it's brilliant at keeping your insides inside!), get a belt type setup for cadets and if you want something different for airsoft there's loads of options for something far less bulky and impractical than osprey.

• Supporters

As in, what would people suggest specifically for airsoft skirmishing as far as some kinda vest/rig goes? Depends entirely on your budget and the look you want. As a starting point, a simple chest rig from either BULLE at flecktarn.co.uk or Warrior at uktactical.com.

I've had some of my mates recommend a South African Assault Vest (SAAV) - You can get them from Viper, take that as you will, but they're £25 and not too bad for that price. You might even be able to use it for cadets.

Otherwise, PLCE as a set of webbing. It's got all the pouches you'd need for both cadets and airsoft. a full set, used, in DPM runs £25-30.

I wouldn't get an SAAV. No modularity at all. If you do get one, get the real deal- if you can find them they're not too expensive and the quality increase over the Viper copies is massive.

PLCE is last ditch IMO. I've used it, it's bulky and heavy and only good for keeping enough kit and rations in to support you for 24h. Good for fieldcraft and exercises but overkill for airsoft.

Have a look at some of the Condor kit as well, it's cost effective and brilliant for both airsoft and actual use. I believe there are images floating around of UKSF wearing Condor plate carriers and other assorted kit?

I use a Condor chest set for airsoft as part of a 'heavy' loadout, and it's what I use with cadets as well. I've had mine for 2 or so years- some tough use and a few modifications later and it's still in good nick. Quite a few of my mates were impressed enough at it that they bought their own sets

thanks for advice tacmaster. To others I will be doing general skirmishes in mainly outdoor terrain. it has to suit me for cadets 2, so that means 24hr survival eg 4 mags, waterproof, mess tin+ hexi burner + rations+ moralibos, first aid kit (and I like an extensive kit as im first aid mad lol), waterbottle, dump bag kinda thing for extra kit, maybe extra mag pouch etc etc . I wouldn't mind milsims if I like airsoft as well.

not being mean but you said use a battle belt but u use a chest rig/PC?

Nah the Chest Set is not a chest rig or PC, it's kind of like an assault vest-webbing hybrid. I'm just advocating the use of a battle belt as it looks a bit more like PLCE webbing so you're less likely to get in trouble for having non-issue kit. Also it's a little more survival-orientated as there's space for loads of utility pouches to fit all of the stuff you want in it.

The exercises run by my company seem to be much less 'by the books'. I decided to have something lightweight for this sort of thing, and it paid off as I took part in a scenario where we used an RAF Merlin to extract a 'VIP' and we needed to move around quickly.

Ultimately it's your choice, I just had to suffer the use of webbing and the terrible Cadet Training Vests for several years before getting my own load carrying gear.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.