Want to get a SMG but not MP5

bruceball1

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right so I wana get myself an smg for cqb environments but don't want an mp5 as my brother in law has one and would like to mix it up a bit. Thinking maybe a vector?

• Supporters

ump

P90

mp7

mp9

vector

try them out for size and see what you like and fits you ;)B)

edit:- almost forgot, you could always try a stubbie M4 B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

You could get a PDW.

I assume you mean a KAC PDW? Not just any old PDW?

PDW being a class of weapon not a specific gun of course....

• Supporters

Yes, a class of weapon (Personal Defence Weapon).

But several of the guns mentioned already ARE classed as PDWs...

But several of the guns mentioned already ARE classed as PDWs...

Lets just assume, with some common sense, that I was referring to PDWs which don't fire pistol ammo?

AND THEN

Add those to the list of SMGs. :)

• Supporters

Lets just assume, with some common sense, that I was referring to PDWs which don't fire pistol ammo?

AND THEN

Add those to the list of SMGs. :)

Technically, no pdw fires pistol ammo. Except in cases like the FN5-7 where a pistol has been designed specifically to fire the same ammo as its pdw relation (in this case of course the P90). The whole point of the pdw was to make a weapon with more stopping power than an smg but smaller than an assault rifle.

Technically, no pdw fires pistol ammo. Except in cases like the FN5-7 where a pistol has been designed specifically to fire the same ammo as its pdw relation (in this case of course the P90). The whole point of the pdw was to make a weapon with more stopping power than an smg but smaller than an assault rifle.

I thought it would be too condescending/obscure to mention that. Kinda wish I'd saved you the trouble :)

• Supporters

I thought it would be too condescending/obscure to mention that. Kinda wish I'd saved you the trouble :)

I direct you, sir to my current status.

:D

• Supporters

Thing is that there's a lot of people that DO need to have the whole thing explained properly. A little learning never hurts does it?

Prime example is that most of the PDWs available as airsoft replicas have already been mentioned here (MP7, MP9, P90 etc).

Why is it, that no one thought to correct the OP's use of SMG (in lieu of submachinegun), but the moment someone suggests another lightweight CQB weapons designation by it's acronym, its open season. PDWs been around 20-30 years.

Edited by Sacarathe

• Supporters

A lot of people see SMG and PDW as pretty much interchangeable though...

• Supporters

Why is it, that no one thought to correct the OP's use of SMG, but the moment someone suggests another lightweight weapons designation by it's acronym, its open season. PDWs been around 20-30 years.

Because he said he wanted an SMG but not an MP5 which is an SMG and he was thinking of the Vector which is an SMG.

So what was there to correct?

He was asking what particular SMG's are good and instead you suggested to him a whole different classification of weapon and not a particular one.

• Supporters

Aaaaanyway, all this pedantry is getting in the way of actually answering the OPs question now. Shall we call it quits?

Because he said he wanted an SMG but not an MP5 which is an SMG and he was thinking of the Vector which is an SMG.

So what was there to correct?

He was asking what particular SMG's are good and instead you suggested to him a whole different classification of weapon and not a particular one.

P90 opened the door, not I.

Aaaaanyway, all this pedantry is getting in the way of actually answering the OPs question now. Shall we call it quits?

Yes, it's silly.

I'm actually in the same boat as the OP, I'm looking for a lightweight short barrelled primary.

I'd suggest P90, or if that's still a little large then MP7. I own both and they're fantastic for CQB; the MP7 is easier/lighter/smaller, but the P90 will work for the woodland range too. Only complaints I've heard about P90 are people breaking hi-cap mags from over-wind, and if you've got long arms the lack of adjustable stock might be a pain in the ass/armpit. MP7 is great gas-gun but poor mag capacity, electric will munch through the tiny batteries and require surgery to use lipo but can get 130rd midcaps and 190 rd hicaps.

And as usually I'll suggest Tokyo Marui as manufacturer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.