New Paypal/ebay agreements (being split)

Aengus

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just saw the news on eBay that says PayPal and eBay are being split and will each have new user agreements. Haven't looked at either yet but hopefully for PayPal they'll unban rifs so we'll have better buyer protection.

Cant see it. While the selling of RIF's is illegal, Paypal will stay well clear.

I don't think there are any airsoft stores that don't accept PayPal.

Thinking about it, other than ammo at a skirmish. Every airsoft penny I've ever spent has been through paypal.

Ebays rif rules are not governed by payment method, selling paypal won't change ebays rules at all. hopefully you can sell stuff on eBay now without the buyer just claiming it never arrived and getting their money back and keeping your stuff.

• Root Admin

Selling certain regulated 'weapons' (or rather, RIFs) with PayPal has never been against their TOS in the UK, but selling them when one isn't adhering to applicable law (i.e. not checking for a valid defence, selling flick/butterfly knives etc.) means it's in violation of their acceptable use policy. See:

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

[...]

2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, ( B) drug paraphernalia, © items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods (e) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (f) items that are considered obscene, (g) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (h) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (i) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (j) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

Airsoft parts are not considered real firearm parts, but this is where we hit the grey area as a few people have had their accounts closed for selling airsoft equipment reminiscent of real steel stuff. There's also the obvious problem of lots of people selling the genuine article (e.g. Magpul stuff, optics etc.) - because that is in violation of their acceptable use policy. What they deem as being a 'certain firearm part' is not quite clear.*

The distinction here though really is that eBay have always banned any and all airsoft guns from being sold (replica or otherwise).

*From reading various forum threads on the topic, I'd say PayPal approach this on a case-by-case basis. If you're selling a real steel hammer or another obvious part of a real gun then expect for them to close your account and never open it again; if you've sold some genuine XDM rail covers then they're not going to do a thing.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.