MP5k. CYMA or TM?

Christopher

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I’m new to airsoft and currently planning my first purchase. Eventually I want my load out to comprise of a bolt action sniper rifle, a pistol, and a PDW. I’m not really here to discuss the pros and cons of going sniper. From my research it seems this aspiration from new players is shot down due to people not understanding what it takes to play a sniper effectively. I’m aware most people are advised to get the standard M4 and play with that for a bit, I won’t enjoy this. Trust me when I say it fits my play style and I’m not under any illusions that I will be running about COD style racking up kills.

So with that said I need some advice on the PDW. My local range will only allow the use of bolt action rifles over 30 meters. I want a good automatic weapon to cover that 0-30 gap. The pistol will help with this but I want the back up of a good automatic for when I get spotted and need to lay down some bb’s fast. I want the pistol to be silent so don’t want an automatic pistol. Not fussed about the PDW being silent as I would tend to only use it when seen anyway.

After a lot of reading I want to go with an MP5k that I plan to upgrade to get the most out of it. During my research I’ve run into a contradiction though. People seem to recommend the TM MP5k High-Cycle. People also say that buying a TM for upgrading is pointless as you’re paying for the internals, no point spending cash for bits you’re going to replace. This has left me unsure what to do. Should I buy a TM MP5k High Cycle and upgrade that, or should I get a cheaper metal gun like the CYMA MP5k and upgrade from there.

In summary: The general advice out there regarding MP5k’s is to get TM MP5k HC, but in the same breath don’t buy TM guns to upgrade… confused!

P.S
Money is not a concern, I can afford any options I've talked about above. Just don't want to waste it!

Thank you

ok first off the website is charging way too much for that CYMA look here http://www.taiwangun.com/en/cm-041k?from=listing&campaign-id=19

Secondly, the TM is obv better. the CYMA is just a clone of an older TM MP5.

if u can afford the TM get that if you cant get the cyma thats about it really

why you would want to upgrade a TM high cycle is beyond me.

Money is not a concern, I can afford any options I've talked about above. Just don't want to waste it!

I have owned the CYMA one and it never let me down in the two years that I used it. I didn't do much fiddling with the internals- something that, in hindsight, I would recommend doing as the "grease" that CYMA use in the gearbox is absolutely shocking- and it worked perfectly fine. Upgrade wise, you can do a lot internally but the external upgradablity is pretty poor. In addition, the battery space can only accommodate at MAXIMUM a 9.6v NiMH stick battery (and it is a really tight fit). It's a great stock gun that you can do a lot to make better on the inside.

That said, I've used a high cycle. And, if you have the cash, you are going to want one of those. They are astonishingly good out of the box! Wouldn't recommend upgrading it, mainly because they are perfect as is!

• Supporters

The new cymas are clones of G&G if I remember correctly, and they have metal body - or at least what's metal on the real steel that's metal on it too. Even the plastic parts are better on it than the TM's (correct me if I'm wrong) ABS.

On the downside, the cyma is heavy as a brick. I don't know how heavy this TM is, I only had the old version of it.

Internals are more precise in the TM, but the cyma will also work forever, even with the factory - too strong - spring.

• Supporters

So go with TM and don't touch it or get the new CYMA and upgrade? Seems to be what you guys are saying?

Yep. Nail, head.

Of course if you get the CYMA anything beyond a new (lower power) spring will still cost less than the difference to a new TM leaving more spare money to spend on magazines/pouches/tactical frippery.

• Supporters

Sorry but why would I 'downgrade' do you not mean upgrade?

Fitting a lower power spring is often referred to as "downgrading".

• Supporters

Ah thank you. It says it comes with 320fps. I want to get that up to 350fps so will probably be putting in a stronger spring.

I'd try it first. You may not find that you need to do anything to it. Many people make the mistake of assuming that just because their gun is 20-30FPS below their site limit they HAVE to upgrade. It's only worth doing if you can't hit what you expect to be able to (which is often as much to do with the user as it is the gun).

Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to go with the CYMA MP5k for a few reasons.

1. I would prefer a metal gun.
  2. If I got the TM I know I wouldn't touch the internals and I do want to have a play about with them to learn.
  3. The CYMA is dirt cheap in comparison so if I mess it up I can buy another!

Just some quick last questions;

• Thank you for putting me onto www.taiwangun.com, has this site got a good reputation in the community? The price seems hard to believe £97.73 vs the £160 my local store want...
  • I called my local dealer to see the CYMA but they are out of stock, the guy suggested I get the JG MP5k that they had as they are "identical", how true is this?

Edit:

• Also would the MP5 PDW instead of MP5k be better? I can just take the stock off to make it smaller. Just wondering if I can get a bigger bat inside the PDW version?

• Supporters

Taiwangun are great.

They used to do free shipping on pretty much everything but the 11euros they charge now hardly breaks the bank.

Make sure you put your UKARA number in the order comments and they'll write it on the shipping label to avoid any customs hassle. I bought a Cyma EBR from them a few weeks ago. No problems and it arrived in about 4 days.

• Supporters

Don't get the JG in my opinion.

Get the pdw because the stock allows you shoot much more accurate. If it is a secondary, then get the mp5k, but for primary weapon, you'll need the stability of a stock.

• Supporters

Pretty sure the battery for the PDW still goes in the top part of the body so no, you won't get a bigger battery in. If you get the PDW as Samurai says you will have better stability but again, as you say you can always take it off. You will need a rear plate to blank it off with the sling mount though (they're cheap to get if it doesn't come with one anyway). You'll also have more options for tracers/silencers as the PDW comes with a better flash hider.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.