does size really matter?

hprentice

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It has come to the point where i am in need of a new pair of boots. I have always used 8 inch boots, however i am liking the look of 6 inch boots. What do you guys use? What are the pros and cons of each?

I have been looking at a few pairs, and the ones that really take my eye are the 5.11 taclite which come in 6" and 8".

post-3804-0-63520000-1427922123_thumb.jpg

post-3804-0-69838200-1427922150_thumb.jpg

also the 5.11 XPRT 2.0

post-3804-0-65589800-1427922222_thumb.jpg

And lowa elite

post-3804-0-05750700-1427922396_thumb.jpg

So what do you guys think? :) thanks

Ankle and lower leg support, I guess. I can't comment on any benefits/drawbacks of 6 inch boots as I have only ever used full sized ones, but I guess you get more freedom of foot movement with them?

I've used both, 8 gives more support and keeps your feet dirt free better.

6 inch is more comfortable, and allows a wider range of motion with your ankle but since it is lower, stuff can get creep in more and if you accidentally kick a tree or something, there's less coverage to protect yer leg.

I wear 6 inch or something along that line because I go mad everywhere.

While I love the comfort of my viper boots they have a similar nubuck leather on them. During the winter when its muddy this stuff keeps the mud quite impressively and it colours, its a real pain to clean. So if going with the desert boot option I would recommend staying away from muddy fields and waterlogged woodland (billericay! I am wondering when your site is going to be reclassified as a spa and swimming pool). Alternatively seal it and loose the look.

• Supporters

As long as you lace them up properly 6" boots can offer plenty of ankle support (equally badly laced 8" boots will offer you none).

I went from 8" Magnums to Meindl Desert Fox's (also high legs) then to Merrel Sawtooths (6" ish). There's been no significant loss of ankle support to my mind and the 6" boots are a touch lighter too. If you stick with a good brand then you should be fine.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.