Law on buying a RIF

Jambo88

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I just want to be 100% clear on the law for buying a 2 tone AEG. My understanding is that you need to be part of UKARA or another valid defence to buy a RIF unless it's 2tone then you have to be over 18 is this correct?

• Supporters

yup have to be 18 to legally buy from retailer - even 2-tone

RIF requires defense/ukara & 18 or over

can be "gifted" eg: ukara parent to their kid

but that pretty much sums up UK Airsoft

so as long as you are 18 you can buy a 2-tone IF

IF = Imitation Firearm - 2-tone is IF not RIF

RIF = Realistic Imitation Firearm - eg:black M4 or pistol

2-tone does NOT need ukara/defense - just be over 18 as its IF

your heading RIF threw me a bit - RIF needs ukara

IF or 2-tone does NOT need ukara

My girlfriend went into Airsoft world to buy my a G&G CG16 today and they refused saying they can't sell to anyone without a valid defence even if it is two tone.

Well that's a load of crap. So long as you're 18 or older you can buy a two tone rifle.

They probably didn't want to go through the hassle of painting it - unless it was pre painted/clear bodied of course.

Well that's a load of crap. So long as you're 18 or older you can buy a two tone rifle.

They probably didn't want to go through the hassle of painting it.

She got me a £200 gift voucher instead and I've just ordered the gun. But the fact that they make "laws" up to suit them is putting me off using them in future.

yup have to be 18 to legally buy from retailer - even 2-tone

RIF requires defense/ukara & 18 or over

can be "gifted" eg: ukara parent to their kid

but that pretty much sums up UK Airsoft

so as long as you are 18 you can buy a 2-tone IF

IF = Imitation Firearm - 2-tone is IF not RIF

RIF = Realistic Imitation Firearm - eg:black M4 or pistol

2-tone does NOT need ukara/defense - just be over 18 as its IF

your heading RIF threw me a bit - RIF needs ukara

IF or 2-tone does NOT need ukara

http://www.airsoftworld.net/g-g-gc16-30th-anniversary-limited-edition-aeg-airsoft-rifle-black.html

That's what I ordered and I paid the £10 extra to get it painted. I knew there should be no problem with her going in and buying it. She is well over 18 aswell :(

They should have ID'd her before saying no. Possibly the person on the counter was having a crap day (it is Christmas after all). No excuse for not selling it to her though.

If I refused a £200 sale in my job you bet my manager would want to know a damn good reason why.

• Supporters

that is f*cking weird - do them for discrimination ffs

is she could prove she was 18 then there is no reason why she should not be able to buy a 2-tone toy gun ffs

clear one is still 2-tone so she should be able to buy it off shelf

unless for some bollox reason they try n say they reserve the right not to sell

not a good "customer is always right" example if she could provide id

f*ck it, I would of took my business elsewhere if I or anybody I know was treated like that

you get one chance to impress in this retail world and they f*cked it if it is how you say

that is f*cking weird - do them for discrimination ffs

is she could prove she was 18 then there is no reason why she should not be able to buy a 2-tone toy gun ffs

clear one is still 2-tone so she should be able to buy it off shelf

unless for some bollox reason they try n say they reserve the right not to sell

not a good "customer is always right" example if she could provide id

A full valid UK drivers licence would be valid I think. The guy said if she walked out on the street armed police would be on her in a heart beat. I've never seen armed police sitting in crossgates. I said to her it's exactly the same as buying a toy gun from toys r us. He was said to her I HAD to goto 3 airsoft world run games to get a dog tag before I could get a gun from them.

A full valid UK drivers licence would be valid I think. The guy said if she walked out on the street armed police would be on her in a heart beat. I've never seen armed police sitting in crossgates. I said to her it's exactly the same as buying a toy gun from toys r us. He was said to her I HAD to goto 3 airsoft world run games to get a dog tag before I could get a gun from them.

If that's the case then they're bad at keeping with their own policy - I've brought numerous guns off them and never been bothered so long as I had my UKARA number. Those were online though.

Unless she was silly enough to get it out in public, the police wouldn't really have a reason to bother her. Even if they did she'd have a receipt to prove she had only just brought it and was heading home - a legit enough reason to be carrying it around (packaged up of course).

Seems to me they were just trying to get more money from her by making you go to their own game events. Pretty poor service on their part.

Edit: I hate autocorrect...

My girlfriend went into Airsoft world to buy my a G&G CG16 today and they refused saying they can't sell to anyone without a valid defence even if it is two tone.

I'll speak to the guys in store, but that does seem a bit weird to hear that from them.

Hang on, was it a non-two tone gun in store? Because then you have to buy online with them- and you'll have to wait a bit longer for them to paint up the gun.

• Supporters

yeah wouldn't of thought they held much stock already 2-toned G&G

so maybe they said if you want it now then need ukara

they got some cyma & ICS in clear/black 2-tone but doubt if G&G is already painted to go

hence they may have said this & ya girl not quite understood exactly what they meant

anyway I'm sure it was a kind of misunderstanding to be fair

It was supposed to be a Xmas present so I doubt she would run about the busy streets of crossgates waving it about and she's not that stupid.

The service is terrible. They must be the only airsoft shop in the UK that can afford to turn away business. They ruined Christmas for me :(

It was supposed to be a Xmas present so I doubt she would run about the busy streets of crossgates waving it about and she's not that stupid.

The service is terrible. They must be the only airsoft shop in the UK that can afford to turn away business. They ruined Christmas for me :(

Jambo, don't let that one experience put you off. Check your DM's- I've sent you a quick message about what has probably happened.

I'll speak to the guys in store, but that does seem a bit weird to hear that from them.

Hang on, was it a non-two tone gun in store? Because then you have to buy online with them- and you'll have to wait a bit longer for them to paint up the gun.

Can you not ask them to paint the gun in store and pick it up at a later date?

They had a post on fb about getting more snake skin two tones in stock the other week. So maybe they don't do that paint job in store but it says online the gun is in stock.

Can you not ask them to paint the gun in store and pick it up at a later date?

-You can ask in store, however it is a lot less hassle on their part for them to get you to do it online.

They had a post on fb about getting more snake skin two tones in stock the other week. So maybe they don't do that paint job in store but it says online the gun is in stock.

-The RIF is in stock online. And the Snake tones in stock were about to be shipped out to people, according to one of my mates who works there.

EDIT: This is their FB post:

A slither of Snake-Tone G&G 30th Anniversary rifles on their way to customers today! ‪#‎airsoft‬ @airsoftworldltd ‪#‎airsoftrifle‬

Those were custom jobs, not pre-painted ones for sale to people who haven't specifically ordered them in that way.

Edited by DX115FALCON

-You can ask in store, however it is a lot less hassle on their part for them to get you to do it online.

-The RIF is in stock online. And the Snake tones in stock were about to be shipped out to people, according to one of my mates who works there.

EDIT: This is their FB post:

A slither of Snake-Tone G&G 30th Anniversary rifles on their way to customers today! #‎airsoft @airsoftworldltd #‎airsoftrifle

Those were custom jobs, not pre-painted ones for sale to people who haven't specifically ordered them in that way.

How is it less hassle to ask someone in store to get the gun painted? It would require no more work than a order coming through online.

How is it less hassle to ask someone in store to get the gun painted? It would require no more work than a order coming through online.

Not going to lie, I have no idea why. The guys may have turned down a two-toning request due to the proximity to Christmas.

A retailer can choose whether to sell an item or not, that is their right as a retailer - an item may be advertised for sale and may even have a price on it, but they are well within their legal rights to refuse a sale, and there is no requirement for the retailer to give a reason; a contract for sale is only made one payment has been offered by a customer and the retailer accepts that payment.

Even if the retailer gets confused about the law they can still refuse to sell; we see this across a lot of airsoft retailers who refuse to sell a RIF to a person without UKARA registration - there is no where in law that states you must have UKARA registration to buy a RIF, but the majority of retailers insist on this.

Once payment has been accepted, then a contract has been made and so the Sale of Goods Act comes into force, but until then there isn't an awful lot that you can do...

• Supporters

Well I have bought a few RIF's from them and never had a problem

(I was ukara'd so didn't need 2-tone)

Others have had trouble but then I had problems with LWA but I have still bought stuff recently there

Think if you want a RIF painted you will always run into possible trouble

it may have been a mis-understanding or maybe they couldn't be ar$ed as most are winding down now

On top of that - at certain times the popular models can be tricky to come by in stock

G&G Raider's were a little thin on ground over summer and think certain types/models are sold out at some places now

Anyway - it don't matter guy ordered his gun so hopefully he will get it asap for new year skirmish

so lets hope all's well that ends well

Ho Ho Ho & all that crap

Regardless of what their reason is for them not selling her the rifle, if as you say, they told her that 'they can't sell to anyone without a valid defence even if it is two tone', then that is absolutely incorrect. As many have already confirmed, there is no defence required to own a two tone, in fact if you are eighteen years of age, theoretically you could walk up the main high street of your town openly carrying a properly two toned airsoft rifle about and you'd not be breaking any laws, provided it was inert at the time (though I'd not recommend anyone doing that by the way).

Are you sure that your GF didn't misunderstand what they said? i.e. if they had no rifles which were two-toned sat on the shelf (which is likely since the one in question is a limited edition, so they're unlikely to two-tone those on spec, since doing so would devalue it to a potential collector), then there'd presumably be a wait involved in getting one painted up, whereas a black one would be available immediately, but she would need a valid defence (typically a UKARA) to buy one of those and walk out with it immediately. That's the only thing i can think of which might explain her coming away empty handed.

Anyway you got your rifle, that's the main thing. Got the exact same rifle myself the other day and I can confirm that they're very nice, even the freebie BBs which come in the box are of decent quality. Apart from adding a tac light, tactical fore grip, three point sling and possibly removing the fore sight, I'll be happy to keep mine standard, which says a lot about the quality of the thing as it comes straight out of the box.

Chock,

The firearms act explicitly forbids carrying an imitation firearm in public, so you cannot walk down the street with an airsoft gun even if it is well two-toned, so people should DEFINITELY not do that

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.