To Fuse or not Fuse??

Shizbazki

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hi all

Just a quick question.

I have both a G&G M14 HBA-S and a G&G MP5A5

Both came with fuses as standard but i am wondering are they needed? both weapons have GATES MERF 3.2 MOSFETS installed and working fine but the fuse is taking up so much space in the battery compartment and being awkward to place that i am considering on removing them entirely.

What are your thoughts on this?

Please note that the GATE MERF 3.2 is advertised as having a built in Electronic fuse.

MOSFET Info: http://gatee.eu/en/merf-3-2

• Supporters

old school fuses are not needed if using fet with thermal resetting fuse

they just add resistance I have read and in some cases people remove them anyway

though you should have some of protection.....

but if fet has thermal then I really can't see why you need it unless you like a bit of warmth in cold weather

(nice fet - ordered one at nearly £50 a while back but was out of stock so refunded and not tried one yet)

As far as I know fuses generally aren't that necessary, they will however protect your gun to a degree if something catastrophic happened (such as the gearbox totally locking up) and you kept the trigger pulled down.

I removed the one from my old MP5 as it was a massive pain, never had any issues.

• Supporters

I am thinking of removing it for the MP5 as its a pain to try and fit the MERF 3.2, battery and fuse all in tehone compartment, the M14 has space for all three and bigger batteries.

Plus the motor for my gun was only £25 so can be easily replaced.

Reading around some ppl say YES A FUSE is absolutely necessary and other saying MEH not really.

But i take what you guys said onboard and will bin that fuse (really i'll keep it as spare).

I feel it's better to be safe than sorry - I'd rather replace a 25p fuse than a £20+ motor.

• Supporters

If you have a mosfet with an electronic self resetting fuse that gives short circuit and over voltage protection then yes, ditch the fuse. If however you do not have such a device fitted the fuse will act to prevent your wiring from melting if you do get a short somewhere. It might not prevent your burning out your motor if you use a different battery than was specified for the gun and you don't change the fuse rating appropriately though.

• Supporters

A fuse is a high resistance component. Thus it has no place in my guns, because I'm always wanting the best trigger response I can get. Yeah, it provides protection against things like short circuits melting your wires, but they don't prevent the short and burning out will not prevent the short from cooking a MOSFET, so it's not much use to me, because the only time i ever get shorts is while i'm teching a gun and not paying full attention.

• Supporters

A fuse is a high resistance component. Thus it has no place in my guns, because I'm always wanting the best trigger response I can get. Yeah, it provides protection against things like short circuits melting your wires, but they don't prevent the short and burning out will not prevent the short from cooking a MOSFET, so it's not much use to me, because the only time i ever get shorts is while i'm teching a gun and not paying full attention.

Like I said - if you have a mosfet with built in protection then you don't need a fuse.

• Supporters

Don't need one anyway is my point.

• Supporters

I think if you know your gun you can get away without anything protecting it

(you would know if it didn't feel/sound right and have sense not to hold trigger down)

or sense the grip is getting f*cking warm or warmer than usual

But most of us like to think there is something there to limit any possible damage

though think I have had more than just one fuse blow and nowt is wrong when new fuse fitted

(they can be a pain tripping out if too low fuse in there some have 10a, 20a or 30a on some fet blade fuse)

and if fuses blow often people put in a higher fuse "just to see"

not too bad on gun but do that crap in house and you may regret shoving a 13a fuse in TV plug (5a) or lamp (3a)

Totally understand peeps saying they prefer fuse in there

but OP has fet with better fuse built in and might be tight on room so think he is well ok to remove it in this case

& like I said there are some tiny basic fets with built in thermal fuse so can do away with fuse in MP5 if he wants to fit those fets

• Supporters

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

I have completely removed the fuse from my G&G MP5 and have the GATE MERF 3.2 installed instead.

I feel that with this MOSFET which advertises:

Short-circuit protection

Thermal protection and;

An Electronic Fuse

As part of its feature list then the original manufacture installed Fuse is a bit obsolete.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.