AKS74U Single point sling fitting?

straffham

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for ideas on fitting a single point sling to the steel folding stock, there is a sling loop on the right side of the stock (though it feels a little rattly & flimsy) but I want something on the left side so the gun will rest correctly at my right side if you get my drift. I realise this means I may not be able to fold the stock but thats not an issue for me.

Anyone have any cunning ideas? :)

• Supporters

Drill a hole to the left side and use a QD sling swivel? You might have to remove a bit from the thickness too - I did that with a angle grinder. I modded the sling mount hole on the other side to use QD swivel, but I see no reason you wouldn't be able to do it on this side.

Drill a hole to the left side and use a QD sling swivel? You might have to remove a bit from the thickness too - I did that with a angle grinder. I modded the sling mount hole on the other side to use QD swivel, but I see no reason you wouldn't be able to do it on this side.

Yeah good one, guess that would do the trick, the steel is pretty thin tbh, though would obviously be a permanent change, albeit not a major one. Short of anything less permanent that could be the way forward.

Maybe a carabina on the stock of the AK attached to a short length of webbing strap, with that in turn attached to the right shoulder adjustment part of your webbing/vest or whatever it is you wear, via a D Ring or another carabina clip. Essentially it'll then just hang from the top right shoulder of your rig. I've occasionally done that kind of thing with my MP5K. Don't need much webbing strap (maybe six inches or so), since you only really need enough to allow you to get the thing into your shoulder.

• Supporters

Use the stock attachment strap for an M4 style stock tube, wrap it around the narrow end of the stock, bob's your uncle.

Or of course, just put the sling through the gap in the stock.

Use the stock attachment strap for an M4 style stock tube, wrap it around the narrow end of the stock, bob's your uncle.

Or of course, just put the sling through the gap in the stock.

If you loop the attachment strap through the existing loop on the stock before fastening, it stops it rattling too much. Its what I have setup on my AKA74U.

Thanks for the replies gents, I do kinda like the idea of some kind of webbing around the stock which my sling could attach to (I use a seperate sling rather than a vest mounted one), possibly using the original sling mount to anchor it and stop it rattling at the same time, but would need a loop fitting or some such to attach the sling itself, will have a rummage in my bits box.

• Supporters

I've carried mine using an original AK sling with both the strap through the original sling point and the clip attached to it and then feed the loop of sling through the frame of the stock. It doesn't rattle like that and it gives you plenty of options for how to fit the sling over your body with the stock open or folded.

I do have an AK sling (old Classic Army one) which I will experiment with some more, what mainly put me off using it is the awful jingle bells metal clip onto the front gas block sling point, far too noisy. Tried electrical tape to silence it but it looked sh*t. Even tried heat shrink tubing but couldn't get it round the bends in the clip. That and the clip swings round scratching everything it touches. So some form of softer coated clip would be needed to use a 2 point sling, as well as getting a better fit around the stock which is my main concern.

• Supporters

Yeah modern Russian slings have a tight tube of elastic around the front clip.

So some form of softer coated clip would be needed to use a 2 point sling, as well as getting a better fit around the stock which is my main concern.

Get some model aeroplane silicone fuel line, this stuff:

http://www.sriremotetoys.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3733&osCsid=18ff2bc625c494ae1ef3f421212bdd7c

split it lengthways with a scalpel, fit it and then secure it with superglue.Looks neat and stops rattles.

So I've been experimenting and quite pleased with result. Found an attachment which allows for a conventional sling hook, and also a plastic webbing clip if needed (tucks inside the stock when not needed) so gives quite a lot of flexibility. Basically it consists of a length of webbing fed through the original sling swivel, around the stock and locked tightly in place with a standard sling adjuster. The webbing loop with the sling mounts was simply threaded onto this.

post-8821-0-76890000-1419011544_thumb.jpgpost-8821-0-40153300-1419012207_thumb.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.