Beginner Rifle Advice

BeginnerHarvey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

For a NiMh battery you want a basic smart charger like this. They used to be under a tenner, in fact i'm pretty shocked to see that price, but although you could get one from componentshop cheaper, their P&P is outrageous, so you'd end up paying more in total.

You could use a simple trickle charger and an alarm in your phone to remind you when to unplug your battery. If you look at our app (link top of the page) you'll find the info you need on how long to charge batteries for.

Oh yeah, and really, to avoid disappointing days when the gods are against you, you really should look at getting 2 batteries, so that if 1 gives up the ghost, or gets damaged in transit etc, you're day isn't ruined. Plus a discharger, which is usually about a fiver - this is so you can store your spare battery flat, only charging it before game days, and leave your main in your gun for plinking during the week - that way the spare will last a long time before it needs replacing (as allowing NiMh batteries to lose their charge over time, rather than discharging them through use, damages them eventually).

• Supporters

I say sadly because everyone and their dog has a wombat machine and personally I'd rather recruit you to the dark side and see you with a CM.035 AKS-74U, but chances are you'll not be able to find one cheap enough... but keep an eye on sale prices.

dont forget the old CYMA CM.028 series (AK47), cheap as chips, and a bloody good gun, i was well impressed with mine today, both in range and rate of fire B)

(came with a battery and charger too)

• Supporters

dont forget the old CYMA CM.028 series (AK47), cheap as chips, and a bloody good gun, i was well impressed with mine today, both in range and rate of fire B)

(came with a battery and charger too)

Very true - Sabine my CM.028U has been raped and pillaged while i learned how not to treat an AEG when attempting to tech my own guns, but she's still a viable skirmish gun. Can you still get them for £125 in the UK?

Oops, answered me question: not the classic tactical versions (£165 inc £15 for 2 tone from actionhobbies.co.uk) but under folder tactical for £130 + £25 2 tone but there is a Beta Spetsnaz on actionhobbies for £99+£15 / and it could be worth speaking to these people, because even though they seem to be selling CYMA AK's with their original springs, which are too powerful for UK sites, they are probably quite used to downgrading them for customers, as well as 2 toning.

But there is also the JG tac AK-47 which is pretty much the same as a CYMA except for the hop rubber, which is quite a crucial part, since the hop up is the main reason CYMA AK's are so good. But you could remedy that by having them prefit the gun with an Ultimate 50 degree rubber for £5 + ask them to order an H-nub for £2.60 - £25 is expensive to 2 tone a gun, so in fairness they ought to do those hop part swaps for the cost of the parts.

Just a note though - the battery that comes with CYMA AK's can only be considered as a desperation stakes back up, a 2nd back up even, because it's crap, but i used the charger that comes with them as my only charger for all sorts of NiMh batteries for about 18 months, just using an alarm or timer plug to stop overcharging, before i bought a better one to be able to charge LiPo batteries also - it is still going strong also. But now VapexTech have their own ebay shop, it's well cheap to buy their batteries and they are the best NiMh's - this is what you need for a CYMA AK.

and my attention span is now exhausted :lol:

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit RIS to a G&G RK47, extend barrels on G&G M4's and AK/RK's, where I can find the cheapest batteries and chargers for G&G's, what Batteries will fit inside the RK stock (that's where i'm guessing it goes) and what will fit in the combat machine stock and what to charge them with, and where to find the cheapest G&G products that I can get 2 toned.

• Supporters

Very true - Sabine my CM.028U has been raped and pillaged while i learned how not to treat an AEG when attempting to tech my own guns, but she's still a viable skirmish gun. Can you still get them for £125 in the UK?

Oops, answered me question: not the classic tactical versions (£165 inc £15 for 2 tone from actionhobbies.co.uk) but under folder tactical for £130 + £25 2 tone but there is a Beta Spetsnaz on actionhobbies for £99+£15 / and it could be worth speaking to these people, because even though they seem to be selling CYMA AK's with their original springs, which are too powerful for UK sites, they are probably quite used to downgrading them for customers, as well as 2 toning.

But there is also the JG tac AK-47 which is pretty much the same as a CYMA except for the hop rubber, which is quite a crucial part, since the hop up is the main reason CYMA AK's are so good. But you could remedy that by having them prefit the gun with an Ultimate 50 degree rubber for £5 + ask them to order an H-nub for £2.60 - £25 is expensive to 2 tone a gun, so in fairness they ought to do those hop part swaps for the cost of the parts.

Just a note though - the battery that comes with CYMA AK's can only be considered as a desperation stakes back up, a 2nd back up even, because it's crap, but i used the charger that comes with them as my only charger for all sorts of NiMh batteries for about 18 months, just using an alarm or timer plug to stop overcharging, before i bought a better one to be able to charge LiPo batteries also - it is still going strong also. But now VapexTech have their own ebay shop, it's well cheap to buy their batteries and they are the best NiMh's - this is what you need for a CYMA AK.

and my attention span is now exhausted :lol:

i couldnt find a CM,028 for sale when i was looking, i ended up going to taiwangun

• Supporters

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit RIS to a G&G RK47, extend barrels on G&G M4's and AK/RK's, where I can find the cheapest batteries and chargers for G&G's, what Batteries will fit inside the RK stock (that's where i'm guessing it goes) and what will fit in the combat machine stock and what to charge them with, and where to find the cheapest G&G products that I can get 2 toned.

Zero One are the cheapest for 2 tone - they do it for free. They also have a wider stock of G&G stuff than most other retailers.

G&G make a replacement lower handguard with rails for their RK's, but it is very expensive and rare to see in stock in the UK. I'm not sure that the Tokyo Marui compatible options made by the likes of CYMA, D-Boys, G&P, King Arms, etc do go straight onto RK's - I think you would need to do some Dremmeling. But with such a low budget you should forget accessories/external modification. In fact the only reason I mentioned changing the hop rubber and nub on the JG tactical AK-47 is because those parts are very cheap and make a very noticeable difference in performance for the money.

The charger you need is the same as I mentioned above, for an 8.4V NiMh battery. They come in all sorts of shapes, but for guns wired into their stocks, you are generally best going with the simplest rectangular configuration, like this. But you should check with the retailer what connector the gun has: it will be either Small Tamiya (which that battery fits) or Large Tamiya (which is usually used for larger batteries like this which ought to fit in a stock also) and if you are buying direct from VapexTech via their ebay shop (because they are the best NiMh batteries available without spending silly money) you may as well get one of their chargers also, like this (which has both Large & Small Tamiya connectors) and ask for a combined shipping price.

You should avoid cheap batteries because, although in airsoft it is not at all true that you get what you pay for*, in the case of batteries, it is. If you buy a cheap one, it will not last as long and it will not perform as well, so you will get poor trigger response from your gun (the time it takes from the moment of pulling the trigger to when the BB is actually fired) and it will run out of charge in use faster too, so you may need a second one just to complete a full day's play; under average use a Vapex 1600mAh battery will last all day (although you ought to have a spare anyway, for the heavy trigger finger days, and in case you damage 1).

The charger I linked in my above post will do the trick, but you could use one of these (with a Small Tamiya connectors) and use the app to find out how long to charge for and set an alarm to prevent overcharging.

*There are plenty of retailers selling stuff for airsoft at outrageous prices compared to other retailers and there is also plenty of stuff which costs a fucking fortune from anywhere which does not perform as well as cheaper stuff.

You can extend a G&G M4 barrel, but there isn't much point - you could just buy one with a longer barrel - they come in a variety of sizes. Also bear this in mind, the external barrel is purely cosmetic, it is the inner barrel which affects how the BB is shot. Also understand that although fitting a longer inner barrel to a gun will increase the power somewhat, that will not necessarily translate into greater range - it depends on the quality of the barrel inner surface, and shorter barrelled guns could well be more powerful. Also the length of the barrel does not determine accuracy in airsoft - it is mainly the hop up unit vs inner barrel surface polish and diameter.

Edit: but M4's with batteries in their Crane stocks need a special type of battery called a 'nunchuck' like this or this.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.