gaming pc build

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 1 month later...

right, just got some money. Time to start building it. My parents are also putting £200 into it as they would buy me a new laptop anyway, but they are going to put it into this, and hopefully i can get that some time in the future. What do you recommend me getting first, I have about £550 atm. I was thinking motherboard and cpu and cooler, and maybe the case. IDK Oh yeah and the ram

There's little point in getting parts with out knowing your full budget.

Dead right, at least consider your graphics card with the first bit of budget, considering it is one of the three most expensive parts.

On the topic, my GTX 660 works a dream. Even a couple of years old, it handles new games at 60fps with all the sliders at 11, and i constantly run shadowplay as well.

I spent 800 quid on mine and its still going strong nearly 3 years later, getting exotic parts isnt really an investment for the present, its future-proofing your rig against the rapidly growing requirements, so it still works in 5 years

• 3 weeks later...

right, selling my phone tomorrow, i should get around 80 (iphone 4s 16gb) and then my dad is giving 50 towards this build, plus i should have some more after I have finished ordering these parts. so I will have about £30 left over to buy red cables and fans etc (i want to make this a red build)

update: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PqC4jX

please tell me this will be fine? I am about to order all the parts bar the drive and the case

• Supporters

I'd suggest maybe a smallish SSD to run your OS from. Do you have a copy WIndows already?

ok, so this is the deal. I have windows, however it might have expired, idk my mate said he would lend me a copy, if not then I will use linux. As for my budget, as of now £850-880 max, but i want to build the pc in half term. I will get an SSD in the next month, but not now.

I really like this build, + the colour is nice. I know it sounds stupid but IDK, i love colour co-ordinated builds. Is there anything I can improve on?

• Supporters

Windows doesn't "expire" unless it's XP but obviously you won't be using that.... Linux on a gaming PC would be a waste of time too.

If you're going to use an SSD for your OS best get it in from the beginning rather than mess about having to reinstall it all later.

2nd lozarts suggestion, as most the decent pc games are 50gb-ish in size, i'd recommend getting a 256gb SSD, then you'll have enough room on it for windows and your current favourite handful of games. 128 is just about do-able but it'll be room for like 1 game. seperating the program files onto another HD will largely remove the gaming benefit of having windows on a SSD.

Windows doesn't "expire" unless it's XP but obviously you won't be using that.... Linux on a gaming PC would be a waste of time too.

If you're going to use an SSD for your OS best get it in from the beginning rather than mess about having to reinstall it all later.

hmm, I guess i should be fine on the OS side of things. I don't mind about having to mess around later, however i just want to build a pc now in the half term so I am gonig to go without an ssd i think for now and buy one next month, :)

2nd lozarts suggestion, as most the decent pc games are 50gb-ish in size, i'd recommend getting a 256gb SSD, then you'll have enough room on it for windows and your current favourite handful of games. 128 is just about do-able but it'll be room for like 1 game. seperating the program files onto another HD will largely remove the gaming benefit of having windows on a SSD.

i would if i had the money, i'm 15 so sadly can't bring in a disposable income really, but i will add a 120gb ssd. I will only play tf2 and cs go, so i should be fine with 120gb

Just do what I did, get a 120gb SSD; you can still fit a fair few games on there provided you avoid the 50GB AAA games for the time being, then pick up a regular 1TB 7200rpm drive when you have a bit more money. SSD will shorten loading times but it wont give you any extra FPS or anything like that so running it off a HDD is no disadvantage.

You will definitely want to pick the SSD up first and put windows onto it either way.

Just do what I did, get a 120gb SSD; you can still fit a fair few games on there provided you avoid the 50GB AAA games for the time being, then pick up a regular 1TB 7200rpm drive when you have a bit more money. SSD will shorten loading times but it wont give you any extra FPS or anything like that so running it off a HDD is no disadvantage.

yeah thats the problem I have. I do a ton of school work on my computer, and so thats why I need over 120gb. I'm not fussed with waiting like 1 month for an ssd just for load times. Ordering all the parts now except for the case, will order that tomorrow

What kind of school work? I did 3 IT courses along with my other subjects and 4 years of school work still only worked out at about 2GBs.

all sorts of things, + pictures. I just like the comfort of knowing i will have 1tb of storage instead of just 120gb...

Lets say your OS is 20GB time you have included back ups e.t.c.

CS-GO is 8GB

TF2 is 15Gb

Another 5GB in random programs.

Thats 48GB

If you managed to use the other 70 GBs doing school work before you got some money for a HDD I would buy the HDD for you... :P

Lets say your OS is 20GB time you have included back ups e.t.c.

CS-GO is 8GB

TF2 is 15Gb

Another 5GB in random programs.

Thats 48GB

If you managed to use the other 70 GBs doing school work before you got some money for a HDD I would buy the HDD for you... :P

you have a point, how much more effective is an ssd?

They are an awful lot quicker. You dont suffer from fragmentation either so they stay consistently fast till the day they go 'nope'. Have a look on youtube of the comparison videos of people comparing loading times of SSDs versus hybrid and HDDs.

ok, so the best 120gb ssd for the money? I was told to stay clear of the kingston ones, because they are now getting slower than hdd times because they started changing the parts to cheaper materials which has ruined the performance...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.