gaming pc build

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yeah point taken. I thought the 4gb geforce 970 is a great card though? So take one card out, where else would you cut down on price though. Thanks mate, I want to get to as low as possible still using intel and no cutting corners

Cheers mate

It is a great card for the money, it wont be touched at the minute. It will be happily running games at 1080p and even 1440p for years to come. Game development in the visual department has slowed down dramatically, especially as the latest consoles are weak, meaning that developers have little reason to push there graphics in games.

You could save a bit by going for an earlier version of the CPU, Ivy bridge mabye. You dont actually lose all that much performance as the latest generation Intel chips have gone more towards energy efficiency then raw power. That would save you money on both the CPU and the Motherboard. I have something stupid like 40 Games of various sizes and a third of my 1TB drive left. That would save you a few quid. I would recommend WD over Seagate as well.

You dont need a £18 cooling paste, a £5 one would do the job if you really want to use one.

A 750Watt power supply will be ample. You are right in sticking with corsair, they are a good bet. Just avoid the builders series as it has a mixed reputation though. I have heard good things about the RM series which is what you have picked so far.

Just a personal opinion but that case is boring :P This guy has style ;) : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-h440-matte-black-with-red-trim-mid-tower-case-with-side-window-and-4-quiet-fans-w-o-psu

A budget style option would be the Corsair 230T though :).

2 GPU's are Overkill mate. for 1080p It will be great and they will be perfect for 2560x1440p and just grab a 1TB HDD 2TB is a little to much save some money. and take out the Thermal paste to. The TIM that comes on the Heatsink anyway is good enough if you not going to high overclocks. and dont get windows 8.1

yeah ^ mate, will do and only 1 gpu. this build is going to happen hopefully, but it may happen after christmas, depends. I will probably go with that case and keep normal fans, I can't really afford to just chuck the fans out and get the af120s for looks atm, I mean a 15 yr old building this setup is ridiculous. The bit that scares me is the fact that a year from now and I doubt it will be worth £500 lol....

Computers dont hold there value fall stop unfortunetly.

Wait a few months and see what the new Windows 10? is like. Windows should be due a decent version by know in there cycle of 1 good 1 bad. I might treat myself to an upgrade if its worth it when it does.

A little less power consumption/space and money compared to xfire, on the other hand it runs hotter. Realistically i still think its overkill for what you are practically going to be doing with it for a fair while yet, 4k is not cheap.

and by the time it comes around the card may well be a bit dated

yeah thats a worry but also something of a plus, means the price will drop. Its £470 atm but i highly doubt next year it will be the crappiest card on the planet. What I mean is it will be alright for even then I reckon, considering it's two r9 290x's bodged together and is quite smooth.

Get the money for a pc first mate. Worry about what you want to get after you have the money to actually build it.

good place to start :P , my most common flaw is dreaming...

ok, while on this subject what are people's opinions on mice in general. I am looking at some now but wondering whether to stick with my eblue or get a much nicer one. how much difference will it make?

Also, anyone know good hdmi cables that can take 120hz+

Getting a new mouse will make no difference to having a negative difference if you are comfortable with your current ones. As for HDMI cables just get a v.2 I believe it is. If you spent more then 10-15 pound then you have done it wrong.

Getting a new mouse will give you about another 15FPS in games all depending on brand and so fourth...But seriously no real advantage or disadvantage just if you want a new mouse get one that is comfortable has all the buttons and stuff you want. but do you really need one? I would say no, and BBrotherwood is right about cable price. I was bored an was walking around PC-World-Currys and found them selling a scart lead for 15POUNDS! FOR A SCART CABLE!

yeah, in the end i bought a hdmi 2.0, seems to look good so should be good for now. I think for the moment I will keep my mouse and trawl around on ebay to see if I can get a good deal... how useful is DPI? my current mouse has 4 settings that go up to 2.5k dpi, is that any good?

DPI ratings control how many pixels the cursor will move on the screen with an inch of movement. Most people tend to have it set to about 800-900. Having the quick change settings is useful though in FPS as I tend to find that I want to lowest setting for infantry and then something a bit higher for vehicles, especially when flying on BF. Something with 2.5k is probably overkill unless you are running super high res screens. It does not hurt to have it but its better to get a mouse with a decent tracker then a mouse with high DPI as them ones tend to use much lower quality trackers.

oh ok, so what kind of mouse would have a decent tracker. I am aware optical is better than laser however there are very good laser mice out there... what would you recommend.

Have you got started with the build yet mate?

nope, it will happen after Christmas. Basically from now until christmas I am away and I may as well wait until afterwards when there will be sales i think

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.