gaming pc build

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Most CPU coolers come with a paste pre-installed anyway. If your over-clocking then its worth wiping it off with some alcohol then re-applying some better quality paste otherwise just use what comes with the cooler.

As BBrother & Esoterick have recommend going with Intel is a good Idea. You won’t get better Value for money than the AMD 8350 but it is OLD and runs hot as well as the chipset itself being old to. And getting an 8GB GPU is not needed as VRAM only helps with higher res plus I doubt even then that a R9 290x would run 4K XD Also 16GB of ram is not needed for gaming 8GB is more than enough and the good thing about RAM is that if in the future you need more you can just buy another matching DIM Kit so for the time being just get 8GB and all you need for your CPU is a I5, A I7 is overkill for gaming. So this is the build I would recommend:

CPU- Intel Core i5 4690k Socket LGA 1150 (Devil’s Canyon)

GPU- Gigabyte Gefore GTX970 Wind force OC

MoBo- AsRock Z97 Extreme6 Intel Z97

RAM- Kingston HyperX Predator 8GB

CPU Cooler- Corsair Hydro H80i

PSU- Corsair 750w Semi-Modular 80+ Gold

SSD- Crucial M500 240GB SSD

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

Case NZXT Source 340Mid-Tower

I Priced this build from Overclockers UK but price around to see if you can find the parts cheaper else were. :)

• Supporters

OK thanks, all helpful stuff. As with the h100i,is it worth it or should I get more fans?

I wouldn't get a water cooler at all unless you are looking at overclocking as it's massive overkill. Not to mention the radiator fans they come with are rubbish and noisy so really need replacing from the get go.

Even if you did want to moderately overclock something like: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-025-AL is way better value for money. Watercooling really only comes into it's own when you are looking at really pushing how far you can overclock a rig. I would recommend you don't overclock at all as you can get a great stock rig in the £700-£1000 bracket. Plus in the nicest way possible you aren't very experienced with building :)

If you do feel adventurous somewhere down the line and want to overclock i'd suggest keeping it simple, get a decent air cooler and a case that can chuck a load of air through it. Something like this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-203-CM

Recently built a PC for a friend and used one of those cases and it's very nicely laid out.

I wouldn't get a water cooler at all unless you are looking at overclocking as it's massive overkill. Not to mention the radiator fans they come with are rubbish and noisy so really need replacing from the get go.

Even if you did want to moderately overclock something like: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-025-AL is way better value for money. Watercooling really only comes into it's own when you are looking at really pushing how far you can overclock a rig. I would recommend you don't overclock at all as you can get a great stock rig in the £700-£1000 bracket. Plus in the nicest way possible you aren't very experienced with building :)

Yeah I was on the fence when I was picking that part and I think you are right Esoterick. A watercooler is over kill. I would get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO as it has a proven track record for performce and reliability plus its cheaper :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-035-CM&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2341

But I disagree with you on that he should not do any over clocking at all. Getting any chip now a days to 4.0 or 4.2 Ghz is easy. Maybe not out of the box but later down the line when he feels comfortable OC'ing. Plus there are many many guides to help, as am sure you know.

If you are likely to move the case around a lot though the closed loop water coolers make a lot of sense. Its the reason why I have one on mine as at some point it is going to be heading off to wales hopefully. There is a lot less strain going through the motherboard and the standoffs.

If you are likely to move the case around a lot though the closed loop water coolers make a lot of sense. Its the reason why I have one on mine as at some point it is going to be heading off to wales hopefully. There is a lot less strain going through the motherboard and the standoffs.

Very true. With a normal heatsink you obviously have a huge chuck of metal hanging off the board being held in by...4 screws and a backplate...doesn't inspire confidence. Were as with a watercooler you have the block it self and the pump which is alot less heavy.

ok, yep I saw the cooler master one. As for a case I was thinking a corsair 450D or along those lines, like the openness as well as the simple structure. I do like complicated cases but I have yet to find a case that I like.

By the way, I kind of want a colour co-ordinated setup, and thats why I chose the Asus gtx 970. What is the difference between asus and the gigabyte one?

Ok, as for fans would you just mount those cooler master fans at the top, I would probably get two in that case? and would the 2 standard corsair fans be suffiecent, or do you recommend more for this build?

Thanks for telling me about that, looking back a watercooler is overkill, and I do understand that I am a noob at this, so just tell me whats wrong and right :), no need to "put it lightly".

Thanks everyone, this build may be happening, pretty excited!

• Supporters

There will be some variation between the manufacturers clock speeds as far as graphics cards go. If you are looking at an overclocked model vs a stock one it could be quite considerable.

Stock 970s are still great cards so I guess it depends how important the colour coordination is to you,

right updated it to:

MoBo:

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7, Intel Z97, Socket 1150, Motherboard

GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING (Maxwell) Nvidia PCI Express Graphics Card

RAM:

Corsair Memory Vengeance Red 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop Sandybridge

PSU:

Corsair RM Series 750W 70+ Gold Full Modular Power Supply (is this enough?)

SSD:

Samsung MZ-7TE250BW 840 EVO 250GB Basic SSD SATA 3

Cooler:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler for All Intel/AMD CPU's ( it doesn't seem to be ok with 1150s? is this true?)

HDD:

Western Digital 2TB WD2003FZEX Black Hard Drive

CASE:

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D High Airflow Mid-Tower Case

Any thing I have forgotten? Also, will I need ore fans and will the setup be fine? thanks guys, you have really helped me.

The Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 works fine with 1150 Socket.

You'll have enough fans for that rig. If you want to get more, get some Corsair SP120 Fans Since Colour Co-ord is important to you...Or you could get some Noctua puke brown coloured fans XD If you want the best performance.

For 120 Pounds it will be hard to find a good monitor. In a good monitor you are looking for an IPS Panel. IPS panels display consistent, accurate color from all viewing angles they have a slower response time than TN panels but I highly doubt you will be able to tell the difference between unless your a secret pro counter strike gamer and your not telling us. :ph34r::D Also things like hight and tilt adjust are important becuse they make a huge difference in comfort for long gaming sessions. I was able to find this.

LG 23MP65HQ-P 23 inch LED IPS Monitor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-23MP65HQ-P-23-inch-LED-IPS-Monitor-IPS-Panel-Full-HD-1080p-5ms-HDMI-/181360415354?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item2a39ec527a

Also what CPU are you getting? I didnt see one in your list.

The Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 works fine with 1150 Socket.

You'll have enough fans for that rig. If you want to get more, get some Corsair SP120 Fans Since Colour Co-ord is important to you...Or you could get some Noctua puke brown coloured fans XD If you want the best performance.

For 120 Pounds it will be hard to find a good monitor. In a good monitor you are looking for an IPS Panel. IPS panels display consistent, accurate color from all viewing angles they have a slower response time than TN panels but I highly doubt you will be able to tell the difference between unless your a secret pro counter strike gamer and your not telling us. :ph34r: :D Also things like hight and tilt adjust are important becuse they make a huge ifference in comfort for long gaming sessions. I was able to find this.

LG 23MP65HQ-P 23 inch LED IPS Monitor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-23MP65HQ-P-23-inch-LED-IPS-Monitor-IPS-Panel-Full-HD-1080p-5ms-HDMI-/181360415354?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item2a39ec527a

Also what CPU are you getting? I didnt see one in your list.

derp, I knew I was missing something. So the total build cost is about £1600 including everything. I added in a nice red corsair fan, and some red power cables etc.

i5 4690k thanks for that, that will probably be the one to get then, cheers!

Make sure the Corsair fan Is the SP version.

ok, looks like £1500 with all the peripherals. or £1150 without them. How good is the heating on this, it will have 3 fans, maybe 4 but probably 3. On top of that it will have the CPU fan, is this good, even with a small bit of overclocking?

That looks more then ample.

right, wanted to see more opinions on it and eventually came up with this. I used toms hardware forum, overall this is what I got

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nbRZGX

Now A) I know an SLI bridge and 2xgtx 970s are overkill maxed but it just means in the future when I get a 4k monitor I already have the graphics. For the time being I may just go with 1. I will also probably swap the PSU to a corsair, and maybe the mouse and the keyboard to a k70 (k70 on pcpp is £260 for some reason)

Most UI's are not scaled for 4K anyway so you just end up straining your eyes trying to read anything. 1440p seems to be a much better option for actual use. You can get whats known as Korean panels for less then 200. They typical use the screens that apple rejected for their displays and put them in a cheap housing with a single power connector and display port connector to bring the price right down. You get a very nice panel for a fraction of what it would cost from apple or the equivalent.

If I stop spending money on airsoft guns I might beef up my PC and get one. I would have 3 Displays to enjoy then :)

If your playing at 1080p you definitely dont need to spend that much... If you want to keep with a really solid GPU (More important in game anyway) then going the AMD route would save you a nice amount of money and effect your frame rate by only a small amount.

Your going to want a 4K monitor with G-sync to make up for the fact that the GPUs are not going to be able to keep the Frame Rate above 60FPS to prevent any tearing. When they finally come out you will be looking at 500+ for the monitor alone. You really will not be gaining that much from it... Just because the media has hyped it up as the next best thing, the reality of it at the minute is that it is really not worth it. In another 5 years mabye. By then you cards would be defunct anyway.

I'm just trying to help you make a decision that you are not going to later regret. Its a lot of money which could be spent on a hell of a lot of other things.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.