krylon and spraying

sp00n

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hey guys, i have a few of questions about spraying and krylon:-

is it worth using krylon primer?

where is the best place to buy?

any tips on spraying?

thanks in advance B)

• Supporters

No need for primer if you're doing a Camo paintjob, when it starts to wear it'll just look better. If you're painting over 2-tone though I'd recommend some good auto primer; it's cheaper and more hard wearing than the krylon stuff.

I buy mine from a local military equipment retailer, not sure on the cheapest place online. Patrol base and landwarriorairsoft both stock it though.

Tips;

Get some stencils if you want to do a camo paintjob, laundry bag mesh, leaves etc are all good.

Use less paint than you think you should.

Wait for each coat to dry before you start the next.

Spray in short bursts from approx 12" away from the gun.

Always start with the spray aiming off the gun and move it on.

Using those above tips you should avoid pooling and crinkly paint, as well as spatter from a semi blocked spray can nozzle :-)

Krylon doesn't even need a primer. Do long strokes if that makes sense, rather than lots of times just fully across.

There's a great video on it somewhere I can look for. My dad did automotive spraying so he knows good techniques.

And of course remember do it somewhere well ventilated and all that. Thin coats and try to be really patient (for waiting like 10 mins between coats)

No primer as suggested.

Make sure the gun is clean and grease free - Paint Preparation Wipes from Halfords are good to give it a clean with.

Krylon is good, but you usually get stung on postage if ordering online - pressurized containers have to be sent by courier. Halfords do an ultra flat Camo range - limited colours: Black, Brown, Green and Khaki - but they are pretty good for the price :)

A few thin coats will give a better finish than one thick coat. The thicker you spray, the more chance there is of the paint running.

• Supporters

Krylon doesn't even need a primer.

As a custom painter I don't even know where to begin with this.

Any paint (Krylon included) will always adhere better to a bare substrate with the correct primer. Not all primers are the same either - metal primer will not work on plastics for example.

In the case of Krylon and airsoft guns then you need to make sure that you either use the range of Krylon that has a built in plastic adhesion promoter (Fusion they're called) or use an appropriate primer. Unless of course you want to achieve the look alluded to by Jcheeseright up there which is that of an actual battle worn weapon. Of course, if that's what you want don't even worry about thin layers. I doubt very much that a L33T Oper8tor gives a crap about long term paint adhesion or even runs/fingerprints/fisheyes and all the other joys that come with paint. I doubt they even care if the fire selector leaves a little black mark when they move it.

Of course, if that's what you want don't even worry about thin layers. I doubt very much that a L33T Oper8tor gives a crap about long term paint adhesion or even runs/fingerprints/fisheyes and all the other joys that come with paint. I doubt they even care if the fire selector leaves a little black mark when they move it.

Agreed. But if you're trying to get a black receiver to look like a FDE finished one instead, that little black mark is the most annoying thing in the world :)

Hey guys, i have a few of questions about spraying and krylon:-

is it worth using krylon primer?

where is the best place to buy?

any tips on spraying?

thanks in advance B)

Plenty of good guides on Youtube for a "L33T Oper8tor" look, or it's an excuse to watch Shooter again.

Here's an example:

• Supporters

Agreed. But if you're trying to get a black receiver to look like a FDE finished one instead, that little black mark is the most annoying thing in the world :)

Ah but if that was what you were doing you'd take it apart and do it properly. Wouldn't you?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.