leaving mags loaded when not playing?

springs
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As an engineer I took part in some testing on springs about 10 years ago, we found that it was mainly compressing and releasing the springs quickly which took the most out of them (the spring strength reduces the more you do this, I believe it is a technique that can be used to reduce FPS via the main-spring?, though i've never done it myself).

Yeah you have... every time you fire your AEG!

Keeping springs compressed does damage them over time, but not enough to make a real difference.

well... what IS "a real difference"? the midcaps I have with a damaged spring is leaving maybe 4 bbs in the mag. on top of that every mag leave maybe 3 (which of course you can save by reloading upside down.. if you want to). but at the end of the day, this can mean that you can only shot 86 (-3) rather than 90 (-3) bbs. real difference? not really.

as for those mags that I have that was damaged, I got them 2nd hand and they had been stored with bbs in them

what we need to remember also is we're dealing with is not a real weapons magazine spring, rather a very weak and skinny springs (they have to be for us to say fit 90 bbs in an mp5 mag). personally I have compressed similar springs so that they have not been able to decompress again.

a kwc springer I have came to me with the spring leaving 2 bbs in the mag (here I suppose it does do a real difference, seeing how it holds maybe 12 bbs). I simply took the spring out and pulled it out by hand, works a treat now.

but at the end of the day, I'm mostly building my opinions of the experiences I had, and I personally would not leave a spring compressed if I had the choice. take it for what it is.

• Supporters

The 3 mags of mine I mentioned above only feed about half their contents (around 50). The other 3 I still have from that bunch of 7 came to me used but have not been left full for long and they feed about 70-75. I have tried stretching the springs again, but it only helped for a few hours.

I really wish someone would start selling mag springs on their own. If anyone comes across such a thing, please let me/us know :)

• Supporters

I really wish someone would start selling mag springs on their own. If anyone comes across such a thing, please let me/us know :)

MAG do - http://www.fire-support.co.uk/category/mag/?manufacturer=&stock=&stpos=0&no_per_pg=999

scratch that - duff info. Soz.

Sure I saw them somewhere though....

Try this one - no pics though it seems https://jdairsoft.net/magazine-spares-accessories/12/magazine-follower-spring

• Supporters

You were on the right track with FS, Loz ;) thanks! Linky

Although the strong ones are OOS and I reckon they are the ones to go with. Redwolf have them, but their checkout insists on $25+ shipping (my hole) so I'll phone 'em next week when i get a cash injection.

This could be brilliant if they work out in AK midcaps! Woohoo!

Archived