ACU or BDU Trousers?

Airsoft_Mr B
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys I've decided to start an ATACS FG Loadout and was wondering if I should go for either

Propper ATACS FG ACU Trousers or alternatively the BDU version.

I already know I'd like to get the ACU shirt as it has velcro for patches / nametapes but the trousers look very similar and I was wondering if they're worth the extra money (it's only £8 but always nice to save a bit) After all they don't seem very different.

Thanks!

• Supporters

I own the propper BDU set in a-tacs FG but to be honest I'd buy another brands', the dye fades quite quickly- its not just happened to my FG stuff either, there's at least another two members on here who've had the same issue.

If the other brands are any more expensive I'd rather just go for an MTP loadout instead. To be honest I don't really want to spend more than £50+ each on shirt and trousers. I've heard of the fading issue before on the reviews but they said it wasn't that bad and if anything added to their authenticity. Thanks for the advice though.

Maybe I'll look into it some other time, right now though I'm actually only 16 (I'm on my dad's account right now) and haven't managed to get a job yet, even when I don't won't exactly be earning loads anyway (well, for me it will be but obviously not for most other people on here) and spending £100 on some of the shirts isn't really what I want to do.

• Supporters

My buddy has a pair of Mil-Tec ATACS trousers and they seem to be holding up OK on the fading front. Their kit is pretty cheap too.

I dont think Mil-tec use proper A-TACS and the Quality isn't the best regarded

Claw or Invader gear is a good alternative. The Claw being genuine and Invader a very close copy

The difference between BDU and ACU like you say isn't a lot but there is.

Shirts:

ACU have pockets on your arms with velcro and smaller pockets on the forearm for pens etc. 2 slanted pockets on the chest with velcro closure. There is velcro on the front for name tags and ranks. There is also a mandarin style collar. Cuffs close with velcro

BDU have nothing on the arms and 4 unslanted pockets on the front, button closure and normal collar. With some reinforcement on the elbows. Cuffs close with buttons

BDU shirt: lrgscalehelikon_bdu_shirt_olive_1.jpg

ACU Shirt: helikon_acu_shirt_multicam_1.jpg

Trousers:

BDU trousers have he standard two thigh cargo pockets with button closure. There is also reinforcement around the knees and have size adjusters on the side of the waist

ACU trousers have more pockets. Theres two small ones on the lower leg and the ones on the thigh are slanted. Both close with velcro. They are alos more reinforced around the groin and knees

BDU Trousers: helikon_bdu_trousers_coyote_1a.jpg

ACU Trousers: 20461326-cb4b-414f-bf64-a170008db71d_603

Basically the ACU cut is a more modern one and the BDU is more traditional/old school

• Supporters

I dont think Mil-tec use proper A-TACS and the Quality isn't the best regarded

Claw or Invader gear is a good alternative. The Claw being genuine and Invader a very close copy

from the original post:

To be honest I don't really want to spend more than £50+ each on shirt and trousers

Claw stuff is expensive (around £100 for the shirt alone) and Invader stuff seems to be about the same as MilTec. Having seen the MilTec stuff first hand it's absolutely fine for airsofting on a budget.

Mil-Tec doesn't seem to do FG ATACS though...? Admittedly I've only recently seen your reply (thanks by the way) so haven't done any thorough searching. To be honest I can understand if the cheaper stuff is not going to be as good quality but given I'm on a budget I think I'm prepared to sacrifice some durability and the Propper kit might fade for the affordability.

I still have plenty of time to decide anyway. Also my shirt will be mostly covered by a plate carrier (hopefully going for the Condor Operator PC) and things and besides I would think some fading might not have a huge negative effect on effectiveness.

Thanks for your input by the way guys all your input was useful and has helped a lot (especially Nickona, thanks very much for taking the time to get the pictures and everything too!) :)

Here's Mil-Tec FG http://www.military1st.co.uk/colours-a-tacs-fg/?catid=381745&cfSearch1=Brand&cfvalue1=Mil-Tec

You can see from that the pattern isn't as good as Invader gear's.

Also Invader gear is made to the same quality as Claw gear just less high tech and not official patterns so its cheaper. It also tends to get better reviews than Mil-Tec.

I'd never quite bought the whole its fine for airsofting on a budget line. It depends so much on how you airsoft. If you just walk around plinking people nearly anything will do but if you're actually running, sliding etc then you need something that will hold up. Lots of people say Viper is fine but everything I've seen or had of viper has broken in some way or another.

I always say buy cheap buy twice

TBH despite me being a bit of a camo geek I didn't initially realise the Invader stuff was a copy pattern

Here's Invader Gear stuff:

http://www.baselinesupplies.co.uk/clothing/ubacs_combat_shirts/revenger_atacs_fg_camo_acu_ubacs_combat_shirt_invader_gear_P4153.html

http://www.baselinesupplies.co.uk/clothing/bdus/bdu_shirts/revenger_atacs_fg_camo_acu_shirt_invader_gear_P4172.html

http://www.baselinesupplies.co.uk/clothing/bdus/bdu_trousers/revenger_atacs_fg_camo_acu_trousers_invader_gear_P4124.html

If you're going for a plate carrier I'd get the UBACS shirt

• Supporters

Fair points all. I'm just going on what I have seen first hand.

Personally I'd be looking at the Helikon kit out of personal experience. In fact I may well be getting a Helikon ATACS AU CPU shirt to replace my (somewhat snug) Viper combat shirt because it is, as you say, not very well made.

I completely forgot about Helikon. I'd agree with Lozart and go with the Helikon CPU.

CPU is very similar to ACU just a little bit more modern. All the reviews I've seen on CPU say its good! I'll be getting some Hellenic CPU trousers soon

Here's a load of it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xhelikon+a-tacs+fg&_nkw=helikon+a-tacs+fg&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm definitely really interested in the Helikon and Revenger gear.

I will probably go for their CPU trousers but you've said good things about Revenger too which look great value.

Right now then I'm thinking I'll go for a Revenger UBACS but as I said before I have a long time to think about it and when I come to actually buying then I might have the extra money to invest in the more expensive stuff. I'm not sure.

Once again thanks very much guys this has helped a lot and given me much more choice. I remember when I first got into airsoft (even right now I don't skirmish as much as I'd like so you could consider me a noob for being young and inexperienced) I think I spent way more than I should have done on my first loadout and a lack of research was undoubtably a big contributor to this.

• Supporters

@Nick: I have a few bits of Viper kit...

Black UBACS = Good - except collar is tight, the arms are very hardwearing

Black Horizontal Pistol Mag Pouch = V Good - closes with buckle

Drop Leg Dump Pouches OD & Black = V Good - most roomy I've seen, simple solid costruction <= these I can imagine getting trashed eventually by things like sliding on gravel with mags inside, but I also have a Condor one which is well gucci and I doubt it would withstand much, if any, more harsh treatment.

I also have had a few bits of Viper gear.

SAAV ripped after minimal use (running through a field)

Second SAAV ripped before it even went into the field.

DPM UBACS, buttoms come off and rips starting along seems

Drop leg holster on one leg strap a buckle broken clean off

So basically every bit of viper I've owned has broken..

Condor are okay, not that Gucci tbh, some very mixed reviews. Id probably put it up with Bulle kit. It shouldn't break but it there's a slim chance.

I've got a Bulle MOLLE Chest Harness and so far it's held up well but has not seen much use really.

Also have a Viper Belt Platform and Viper Pistol Pouch. They seem to be fine.

I sold my Viper Small Utility Pouch a while back and the stitching on it had came a bit loose in one place. Plus I had a large utility pouch from Viper too but it wasn't really what I wanted in the end so I'm going to sell it soon I think.

Speaking of ATACS loadouts though I'm undecided on whether to get the UBACS or an ACU shirt.

It seems from those official ATACS shots / advert pictures (I can't think of terminology for it at the moment) the guys wear the ACU shirts but I've also seen people with their airsoft loadouts and UBACS shirts.

Preferably I would like to try both in with my plate carrier before I choose one but if that isn't possible will probably lean towards getting a UBACS since you suggested it.

Sorry for the long posts I just sort of speak my mind at times.

I've got some viper kit as well:

• Duty belt with double lock fastex style buckle, OD
  • RHS holster, OD
  • Double and single open top 5.56mm mag pouches in OD

None of the kit mentioned has ever let me down or broken on me- however I wouldn't trust viper gear a lot anyway, I may have gotten lucky as it seems their QC is crap.

I'm switching to Tactical Tailor pouches next year. That may cost me an arm and a leg (some pouches can cost more than £20 each) however I wouldn't be continually doubting their quality, as I am with the viper stuff.

• Supporters

That reminds me, I've got a Viper duty belt too - rock solid. I've had it for a lot longer than I've been airsofting and it's never shown any signs of needing repairs.

As for the quality of Condor in general, I can't comment since I don't have anything other than the dump pouch I mentioned. The quality of that is on a par with the Blackhawk! STRIKE mag pouches I have. Again though, I can't say for sure whether they are better or worse than Bulle, because I don't have any of their gear yet either (although I expect to fairly soon).

TBH, short of coming with 2 leg straps instead of the one it does, I can't think of anything that could be more gucci about it. Having said that, it's relatively small for its role so it doesn't need 2 straps usually, it's just that if you put them in with a little care horizontally, you can just stuff 7 AK mags in there and while that's an unlikely scenario, 4 is very feasible and weighs enough to make it pull against its attachments.

• Supporters

Speaking of ATACS loadouts though I'm undecided on whether to get the UBACS or an ACU shirt.

It seems from those official ATACS shots / advert pictures (I can't think of terminology for it at the moment) the guys wear the ACU shirts but I've also seen people with their airsoft loadouts and UBACS shirts.

Preferably I would like to try both in with my plate carrier before I choose one but if that isn't possible will probably lean towards getting a UBACS since you suggested it.

Sorry for the long posts I just sort of speak my mind at times.

UBACS shirts were designed to keep the wearer cooler in hot climates under body armour (I think they started appearing during Desert Storm as custom made items) so I guess it depends on your requirements. Personally I mostly only do CQB so I get pretty warm hence I use a UBACS. I would imagine that (barring the two days of summer) in this country an ACU/BDU/CPU shirt would be better for woodland. If you want to tuck the shirt in I would suggest the CPU style design as they have no lower front pockets.

Bulle fill the quality gap between Viper and Begadi gear- I've only got one of their admin pouches, but it is very good quality for £7.50. My only problem is that the molle connecting straps aren't very rigid compared to the ones on my Begadi pouches. And the slightly khaki shade of OD. Other than that it's brilliant.

• Supporters

My Viper UBACS is progressively dissassembling itself every time I wear it (although it is RATHER snug which is probably more to blame). Found the drop leg dump pouch to be feckin useless.

I have now ruined all other gear for myself by buying a load of WAS kit. Lovely, lovely WAS kit.

• Supporters

I've been deliberately avoiding it for that very reason!

Trojan Tactical? I also have some of that myself :)

I have two double STANAG MultiCam mag pouches by them, my MultiCam holster and an OD sniper pouch.

Of course being mil spec quality stuff it's pretty expensive but worth the money for authenticy and durability.

Can't of wrong with them really.

IMO the best value for money kit is Flyye, Pantac and Warrior. If I can't find issue kit those are the next companies I look at

However the very best value for money stuff I have is easily my genuine SADF kit!

Archived