Manufacturing parts

MacBones
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, due to a shortage on certain items and fairly high cost when in stock of parts I would like to use to upgrade my l96. I thought about approaching an engineering company I supply office equipment too and see if they could make a stainless steel cylinder and maybe other bits.

Then I thought maybe that would be illegal for them to do so, could someone put me right on that please?

Thanks

from what i have read, i dont think making internal parts would have anything to do with the law. if you already have a RIF and your entitled to have one, eg you are UKARA registered then i can see a problem. i think manufacturing a RIF without a defence is naughty but im sure other people will comment with more knowledge. but i cant see if being a problem as im fairly sure people do it all the time.

• Supporters

Hi all, due to a shortage on certain items and fairly high cost when in stock of parts I would like to use to upgrade my l96. I thought about approaching an engineering company I supply office equipment too and see if they could make a stainless steel cylinder and maybe other bits.

Then I thought maybe that would be illegal for them to do so, could someone put me right on that please?

Thanks

If you look at any of the airsoft retailer sites the only time they ask for proof of your defence (usually ask for your UKARA number) is when you buy a gun. If you want a RIF then you must have a defence, otherwise they can only sell you a two-tone (so long as you are over 18).

For parts, there is no requirement for the seller to ask for your defence but you could be prosecuted if found to have converted an IF into a RIF without having a valid defence. This would only apply to external parts

I'd imagine the only things illegal to make would be load bearing parts that could be used in a real firearm.

Cylinder piston etc would be fine to make.

As long as they can't be used to make it into something that fires at a velocity high enough to make it into a firearm (so around the 2 joule mark, as we discussed earlier) then you are fine. There is no restriction on airsoft gun parts at all, unlike some parts for real steel firearms.

As long as they can't be used to make it into something that fires at a velocity high enough to make it into a firearm (so around the 2 joule mark, as we discussed earlier) then you are fine. There is no restriction on airsoft gun parts at all, unlike some parts for real steel firearms.

Well that depends on what airsoft gun you have. My gas rifle takes real steel parts easier than Airsoft ones.

some parts are marked as ITAR and cannot be bought.

I'd imagine the only things illegal to make would be load bearing parts that could be used in a real firearm.

´+1, exception for magazines. they are legal.

well, also, you couldn't say make a wooden stock, then replace it from a two tone original one*. unless you painted it first.

*valid defence this that hurr durr.

since the mentioned l96 is bolt action, I would think it's perfectly legal for it to fire up to 7j? assuming of course OP is 18+.

• Supporters

since the mentioned l96 is bolt action, I would think it's perfectly legal for it to fire up to 7j? assuming of course OP is 18+.

the legal limit for any air weapon (before a firearms certificate is needed) is 12lb/f, which is 16.25J if my calculations is correct ... so a 0.2g bb would have to be travelling some 1300+ fps :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

i really should step away from the calculator at this time of night :lol::lol::lol:

the legal limit for any air weapon (before a firearms certificate is needed) is 12lb/f, which is 16.25J if my calculations is correct ... so a 0.2g bb would have to be travelling some 1300+ fps :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

i really should step away from the calculator at this time of night :lol::lol::lol:

...16j?? legal limit before fac is 7j, unless I am much mistaken.

You wouldn't manage to get a bolt action l96 firing at 7j. You would need He-Man to cock it for you.

Hence, no issue with making it illegal by upgrading it.

• Supporters

...16j?? legal limit before fac is 7j, unless I am much mistaken.

from my understanding the conversion calculation is ft/lb's x 1.3558 = J (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-pound_(energy))

there fore 12x1.3558=16.29J insane isn't it :blink::blink::blink::wacko:

(where above 12ft/lb's a FAC is needed for a rifle, for a pistol its 6ft/lb's or 8.1J)

Tariq. Any "real steel parts" that are pressure bearing are controlled. You wouldn't try and fit a RS barrel, or any part of the action (except maybe the trigger group in some rare instances). Those are the RS bits that are controlled and require an FAC (or RFD) with the correct permissions on it.

I know that, but also the US is getting picky about sending body parts like magpul etc into the UK.

Been looking for a non pts bad lever but no one can get them for me. Also looking for vltor stocks and body.

• 1 month later...

I know that, but also the US is getting picky about sending body parts like magpul etc into the UK.

Been looking for a non pts bad lever but no one can get them for me. Also looking for vltor stocks and body.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magpul-Battery-Assist-Device-B-A-D-Lever-MAG980-BLK-Black-/330924494597?pt=US_Other_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item4d0ca30f05

Archived