Worth two toning while waiting then spraying after?

Rogerio134
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right so i have another 6 weeks to wait before my UKARA will be official and i can buy an RIF, is it worth buying a two tone gun and then once i have my UKARA then spraying it black or something?

What i want to know is....

A - Is that legal?

B - Will it look crap?

For the record i intend to wait until i am fully registered then buying a proper RIF but a small part of me is very impatient...

• Supporters

In my opinion it's not worth it. Two tones look dreadful and spraying them black doesn't help that.

I think of "Ex two tones" as a sort of stigma - I don't want to know anything about them at all. The paintjob you give it will never match the original finish and additionally you'll end up painting over the trade marks.

6 weeks isn't a very long time, I'd just wait it out. Good things come to those who wait.

sh*tty two tones come to those who can't wait lol.

Painting it black once you have UKARA is legal though, so you could do it without feeling bad.

• Supporters

A - yes, it is legal.

B - most likely yes.

If you're really good with a spray can and know what you're doing with preparation etc. then go ahead and do it this way. But bear in mind that when the paint starts to wear off, the previous two-tone colour will show through (unless you removed all the two-tone paint before hand), also, you'll cover up any painted trades and markings (e.g. numbers on RIS rails), which is what (in my opinion) separates a good looking gun from a cheap-looking gun.

You may as well wait the six weeks. It gives you chance to decide on a gun for definite, it also gives you six more weeks savings to spend on a gun, and it saves you the hassle of painting.

what i did when i got registered was use nitromoors too take it off but trust me it will melt your gun if you leave it on for more than 3 seconds,i did a spray job on my l96 and it turned out great

post-2257-1342544675_thumb.jpg

When I was waiting for my UKARA membership the retailer I used allowed me to purchase an RIF (Black G&P M4 spec ops) and they kept it in their posession until I got my UKARA membership. They allowed me to use it for skirmishes during the period of gaining my UKARA membership too. That was with Wolf armouries. It wasn't long before I was able to get it home and was well worth it.

Have a chat with your retailer/skirmish site and see if it's possible.

Hope this helps.

Suzuki

• Supporters

Fire Support allow you to do that too at their sites.

• Supporters
Fire Support allow you to do that too at their sites.

I had wondered how they managed to stay in business charging the prices they do... Now I know :lol:

I bought my AK Sabine from Action Hobbies before I had my UKARA and they hung onto it. I did so because I was worried they would run out of stock before all the red tape hoops had been jumped through, which they did, so I was well pleased that they let me do that.

Now that I am fully UKARA'd up and it's too late to do anything about it, I'll let you all in on a secret... There was a hiccough in my getting a UKARA reg no. because first I, then Stef from Skirmish made mistakes filling in the form. Anyway, I was getting really impatient, so as soon as Stef sent the form back to AH, I was onto them to ask if they'd added me to the database yet and, if not, why not and when could I expect my beautiful black AK in my arms to caress etc. (ok I didn't say that, but not far off :lol: ). So the employee whom I had that email convo with checked and discovered that the correctly filled in form was with the boss and told me everything would be fine. Next thing I got an email from their chosen couriers to inform me that they had been engaged to deliver a parcel to me by Titan Imports and asking me to check that the address was correct. Guess what I got next?

An email from the aforementioned boss telling me that there was still something moody about the form and also that my chosen site's registration had not been renewed so they couldn't verify that I had played my 3 games etc.! Anyway the gun arrived the next day or the day after, I forget, but I highly doubt that all the "I"s were crossed and "T"s drunk, forms wrestled into resubmission, faxes fac'd, et cetera, et sillier, before I had her in my arms, so I suppose a grave transgression of the law took place - oops! I kept my mouth shut :-|

I'm with the consensus on two-toning a perfectly decent looking gun for the sake of not waiting a few weeks (in which time you can try out other types of gun and get a better idea of what suits you and what sort of role comes naturally to you in a skirmish, so what sort of weapon would be best for that role): you'll almost certainly regret it.

• Supporters

Haha, I like Fire Support, I buy from them when I can, especially small items as they can bring items to game days for you to collect rather than paying delivery, and they're quite local to me.

• Supporters

From what I've heard (from people with no dog in the fight), it's just as well you can get stuff from FS hand delivered because, apparently, they're really bad at sending the items ordered correctly, as in everything ordered in the parcel, no accidental wrong parts in place of those ordered, nothing just forgotten, etc

• Supporters

Fire-Support and Landwarrior are my two most visited shops, I find the pricing to be reasonable, postage fast and I've never had any problems with them whatsoever.

They're very helpful on the phone and they're good at replying to emails as well. Fire-Support even sourced a new charging handle for my MP5 when mine snapped, shipped it over from Hong Kong and then posted it to me, all for £11.

what i did when i got registered was use nitromoors too take it off but trust me it will melt your gun if you leave it on for more than 3 seconds,i did a spray job on my l96 and it turned out great

Dont use nitromoors for god sake it melts plastic if you got it two toned when you get your ukarra dont spray over top it will just strarch off later

what you want to do is remove part/s that are to to be changed to black. Then what you need is a plastic carrier bag ( best try and get one way bigger than part and with no holes in it) then you want to spray the whole part with either mr muscle oven cleaner or fairy power spray place in bag tie up and leave over night you can add more spray whene ever you like to part. When left for aday get a bowl or sink of soapy water and a dish scrubing brush and give it and good scrub this methood will take most of paint off it when dry you can then spray matt/semi gloss black,tan or what ever colour you choose.

I know this works for afact as I've done it to two guns myself now and also alot of plastic model kits never fails it wont melt plastic if wont melt model plastic softest you can get ( poloystyerene wot ever it is) it deffo wont melt abs plastic

Archived