where to get good boots?

zombie86
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Am looking for good comfy boots that go over the ankle, i've been looking around but to no avail they must be comfy though! i've tied a few pairs on and its like putting my foot into a hollow plastic tube >.< this is not good I prefare a good padding around my foot also am type 1 diabetic so any rubbing can cause bigger problems including foot ulcers and worse >.< i'd rather they was brown but black are fine no desert tan please :P anyone know any good sellers?

you dont need to spend a fortune on boots, go have a look in windsors world of shoes if there is one near you, my first modern set cost me 15 quid and once i'd broken them in they were very comfy and ankle support like you want. or local army surplus shop, patrolbase has a small corner full of boots

• Supporters

Patrolbase do the best deals I ccan find from a retailer. To make military boots comfy you need insoles and good socks. I'd suggest wearing 2 pairs: 1 thin pair of ordinary M&S ankle socks, not sport socks, and a thick pair of hiking socks over them. I also use 2 pairs of insoles: 1 pair of odour eaters and another pair just for cushioning underneath. I haven't got round to trying them out yet, but Poundland do memory foam insoles and that sounds like a plan to me!

For total confidence in your boots, I'd say you need a military issue pair of assault boots, either German Para or British Infantry style. In Grade 1 Issued condition, surplus boots are just broken in a bit: the sole isn't worn noticeably, the fully fitted tongue is still waterproof, as is the seam around the sole, and the eyes and hooks for the laces aren't bent or scuffed sharp. Short of something glowing hot, you can confidently walk through anything in them and they give the best ankle support over rough grround and when jumping into holes, debris, undergrowth, etc.

I'd also recommend these for easy on and off - they're great if you get an itchy foot! If they're done up properly, you shouldn't get any stones etc. in your boots, but sometimes you just need to fiddle with your socks and having to unlace a boot is enough of a pain in the arse that I wouldn't bother unless something was actually hurting me, but with these zips it's no bother at all: you can do it whilst taking cover during a skirmish!

Edit to add: they're £30 from Patrolbase.

• Supporters

I was going to post a thread up about this, so I'm glad to see someone beat me to it, saves me a bit of time lol.

I want a pair that'll last me a long time, I spent about £110 on some Karrimor boots about two years ago and they're already letting on water, they take about 80 bajillion years to properly dry out as well.

Are leather or not-leather boots better? The Karrimor ones I had were a sort of flexible gortex type material, didn't need wearing in at all, fit like a glove from day one and were the comfiest things ever, if it weren't for their recent failings they'd be my all time favourite set of footwear. I can't believe they're dying on me after such a short amount of time =[

I'm looking for all weather, all terrain, highly durable boots, with good ankle support, but also enough flexibility to not dig into your heels and shins too much when kneeling. What's the best anyone knows of that fits that description? I'm going to set my budget at around £150.

• Supporters

It depends on what you mea by "a lonng time", Ed. German Para boots or British Assault boots can be reasonably expected to last at least a decade of anything a civilian is likely to put them through. I had a pair for about twice that, but I did ruin a few gucci pairs as well during that time. Like you say, modern materials are more comfy, but once they start to go, they fail pretty much completely quite quickly.

With your budget you could comfortably afford brand new Magnum Patrol boots, which are more comfy than full thick leather assault boots, but don't be surprised when they start to let in water. You could always go for goretex boot liners as well, and with thick socks inside those, you should have very comfy feet for a good few years airsofting. I'm not sure if you could fit an insole inside a goretex liner as well, but that could well be excellent.

I'd still recommend surplus German Para boots though. You've seen mine, eh? Can you imagine any terrain that would be a problem for them? I'm never bothered by standing in any of Skirmish's long standing stagnant puddles, eh? Actually, with my goretex kecks and bodge job knee pads on, I'm not bothered about kneeling in them either!

• Supporters

If you're less concerned about something lightweight and more about longevity, you can get a pair of LOWAs for that money, should do you very nicely. Don't recommend the old brit issues one myself, the soles are coming away from the pair I took through recruit and they were only worn for about 6 weeks there and then a couple of times in trade training.

No idea what magnum are like now-a-days but they had a real trouble period a year or two back which put me right off.

Check out Salomon as well for really impressive footwear, they do some really awesome looking hiking boots. SEALs love 'em so they've gotta be pretty decent, my trail running shoes I got from them recently are absolutely excellent.

second to the lowas,altberg are brilliant aswell,magnums are good for a mid price boot,i bout a pair of milcom desert boots and they are so comfy,lightweight and only 40 quid

• Supporters
Don't recommend the old brit issues one myself, the soles are coming away from the pair I took through recruit and they were only worn for about 6 weeks there and then a couple of times in trade training.

Wow, that does surprise me! The same thing happened to my 1st pair of German Paras after I tried to get them resoled - about 20yrs on and the uppers were still going strong, but the soles had finally given up the ghost. The new ones just wouldn't stay stuck. Maybe there's been a national glue crisis!?!

Wow, that does surprise me! The same thing happened to my 1st pair of German Paras after I tried to get them resoled - about 20yrs on and the uppers were still going strong, but the soles had finally given up the ghost. The new ones just wouldn't stay stuck. Maybe there's been a national glue crisis!?!

super glue from the pound shop always do the trick ha ha

• Supporters
super glue from the pound shop always do the trick ha ha

Tried it, mate. It failed. The problem was it just pulled off a layer of whatever rubber/silicon/plastic compound is under the sole before it's moulded on and peeled off anyway.

• Supporters

I think they may have improved since about 2005 when that pair were made, but generally I find one truly crucial aspect/key point on any boot is the join between the sole and the upper. I know that the two parts are pretty much never going to separate on my LOWA Patrols because the rubber comes up around the lower area of the leather the entire way around. Similar story with my recent Tac Research 'Khyber' combat boots.

The old issue design however totally lacks any transition segments and I feel that's where it's partly let down. Though in fairness I took a brand new pair to the Falklands in february which got abused to hell doing bergan tabs with the army every friday (including an 18 miler near the end) and they held up nicely. Plus the leather broke in way quicker than my original Halton pair, much more comfortable in much less time (pretty sure they've gone for a different source on the cow hide now).

• Supporters
Thanks for the fast advise just brought these =D Mil-com patrol boots £10 less than usual price ;)

It's the "water resistant" bit that rings my warning bells.

Before winter it might be a good idea to get some of these too.

• Supporters

Yeah.. you're pretty much not going to get a long lasting boot for £20. They have to shave costs somewhere to make a product at that price.

Not to p**s on your proverbial bonfire, just a heads-up.

• Supporters

All terrain. All year round. 'Kin indestructible!

imag0461i.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

German Para Boots - £30 from Patrolbase

Accept No Substitute!

• Supporters

Links anyone?

Lowa boots, Magnums, link to those German Para boots, Ian?

Lot of good suggestions on here. I just wish I could remember my shoe size... I don't really want to order über expensive boots online, I like to try stuff on before I buy it.

Are any of these brands available in Blacks, or Decathalon or anything like that?

• Supporters

Milletts near to me carry Salomon and Merrell, both being great for looking like a spec ops bad ass (seriously). Though Merrells' quality has supposedly taken a dive recently, can't confirm that myself.

• Supporters

here you go

The ones they've got pictured are the newest iteration of the design, so I expect they are improved in some way over the ones I've got.

If you take a UK size 9.5 or below you can also get them from Amazon with free delivery for not much more: here.

• Supporters
Milletts near to me carry Salomon and Merrell, both being great for looking like a spec ops bad ass (seriously). Though Merrells' quality has supposedly taken a dive recently, can't confirm that myself.

I used to have a pair of Merrell fell running shoes and I think they were close to, if not, the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned. Their nemesis turned out to be salt water!

• Supporters

Cheers Ian, if your boots are as good as you say, then I think I might pick a pair up, might as well for that price!

Unfortunately I'm at least a 10, so no Amazon deal for me =[

Archived