LMG Loadout?

Wyvernols
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all.

I'm relatively new to airsoft, still finding a place to Skirmish and I currently possess no airsoft guns, however I have decided that due to my build [quite broad and tall] a LMG role might be a good choice for me, problem is I haven't a clue as to what an LMG-guy is supposed to carry, I've noticed rather than having more than one magazine/box/drum at a time to replace an empty one you usually just fill up the same one but that's about it.

I'd like to know A: what kind of gear an LMGer or any airsoft player should try and wear, B: how LMGers work in a team and C: any decent gun suggestions.

Just to also clarify, i'm new to the forum too so sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

Thanks for any replys!

Take in consideration that running an LMG will limit the sites you can visit. I have no experience with LMG, but most of them only have full auto, which my be an issue if you decide to play at a CQB site (mostly only allow semi).

First buy a good pair of eye protection and good boots with ankle support, this will keep you safe and make the game more enjoyable. Don't go for all the gear crap you don't need, after you have your protection save for a decent gun, mags you can carry them in your pokets.

Not wanting to pop your bubble but to be honest, the equipment available doesn't really allow for distinct 'roles/classes'. Barrel length has little effect, the rate of fire of an lmg vs a standard assault rifle is dependent on batteries/motors/springs; not the shell those parts are hidden inside.

It sounds like you are planning to predominantly play field/forrest? I'd suggest finding something suitably lightweight (I doubt that'd be a LMG!) and as Sico suggests, quality protective gear.

The only real variations, performance wise between guns, is the quality or; standard AEG vs GBB vs bolt rifle.. And of course pistols that will likely remain in a holster.

In saying all that, if you want to play the (more aesthetic) role of a badass, cannon touting Rambo LMG dude.. Go for it! At the end of the day, we are all playing a game. Some people like to go overboard but it is a GAME. Plenty of room for imagination. My current primary rifle is a so called 'designated marksman rifle'. Yes, it's heavily upgraded and may be able to reach out slightly further than the average but for me, I just love to immerse myself in that ROLE!

Many people hate to be called reenactors.. But you get my point ;)

A couple of things to note: When starting out, you will quickly realise how unfit you are and how heavy the guns are when you have to carry them all day. LMG's due to their size will tire you out a lot more.

Get some boots, some face protection and maybe some camo gear. Hire guns for a few times and see what playing is actually like. If you then feel that you want an LMG and can cope with lugging it around, go for it. I would however suggest making the LMG the 2nd gun you get. In my experience of games where there are LMG's, they tend to be prone to malfunctions due to the excessive use they get, so a spare gun is a must.

• Root Admin

Buy a good sling and be in reasonable shape.

Spare magazines aren't 100% necessary if you have a magazine which can be loaded easily whilst still loaded. The A&K, CA etc. M249, for instance, can be reloaded reasonably fast when there's any down time, but you will want to carry a bag of BBs (not a bottle, because bottles rattle a lot).

As others have said, I wouldn't make it your first.

Hey all.

I'm relatively new to airsoft, still finding a place to Skirmish and I currently possess no airsoft guns, however I have decided that due to my build [quite broad and tall] a LMG role might be a good choice for me, problem is I haven't a clue as to what an LMG-guy is supposed to carry, I've noticed rather than having more than one magazine/box/drum at a time to replace an empty one you usually just fill up the same one but that's about it.

I'd like to know A: what kind of gear an LMGer or any airsoft player should try and wear, B: how LMGers work in a team and C: any decent gun suggestions.

Just to also clarify, i'm new to the forum too so sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

Thanks for any replys!

Are you sure you've not just seen so many movies where in a squad, you always see some big burly dude heaving an LMG around with aviator sunglasses, an ammo belt around his waist and a cigar hanging out the side of his mouth shooting off wisecrack jokes like "I got it Sarge, let's make it rain" and "Eat lead motherf***ers!"?

If you do want to run an LMG setup: Fitness. Fitness. Fitness. I was a skirmish on Sunday where I was running around a lot and took a bit more gear than I usually would do on each game (but not NEARLY as heavy as lugging an LMG with a spare box mag and a rig full of pyros), and yesterday was the first day I could walk properly without pain twinging up my legs.

Honestly, might I suggest something - put a backpack on and fill it with some water bottles, wear a jacket with lots of pockets and stuff each one with a box of batteries or something, then go and do your shopping, put your stuff in a couple of bags-for-life, then run all the way home. You might change your mind about playing LMG loadout :P

If you do decide to go with an LMG then there are not too many options.

1: M60 - very heavy and only really useful in static positions or vehicle mounted

2: M249 - lighter than an M60 but can also take M4 mags in an emergency or if you have a box mag malfunction

3: M86 - longer version of the SA80 / L85. Some versions have quickly adjustable spring rates for different FPS figures depending on site limits. Not sure if they will fire semi but should do as similar internals to the SA80.

4: MG 42 - lovely rifle but expensive, heavy and not easy to source.

5: RPK - basically a longer version of the AK47 / 74. Probably a bit lighter than the M249 and can take either drum mags or standard AK 600rnd mags. Can be bought as new or can be made from a doner AK with the right conversion bits.

6: M240 - see M60. Not much difference in weight

There are probably more but those are the most popular.

Personally I wouldnt buy this as a first weapon.

I own both sniper rifles and an M249 and both have limitations in terms of general game use.

The LMG is very heavy and you really wouldnt want to be carrying it around at a mobile skirmish game.

Lovely thing and a lot of fun in the right game, but difficult to use every game.

I have an M249 and however much I love it I certainly wouldn't get it as your first weapon. Much like my VSR, it is a great gun but it's great to have the option to use it when needed, and then just use a regular AEG for the rest of the time.

Archived