ICS L85A2

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I've been having issues with my L85 on and off at random and can't figure it out, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it just gives up on me and I have to sit there changing from semi to auto 3 or 4 times to get anything from it.

The problem is that I'll be out on the field, come across a target, raise my rifle and pull the trigger... Click.

Now, it's not the same click as when there's no battery connected, it feels like I'm forcing something and it makes a different click sound, the trigger pull is also different, harder and more clunky instead of the usual smooth action.

There is no response from the gearbox or motor, the circuit seems to fail.

Anyone had any similar issues?

Another thing to add is that it tends to happen a lot more when I switch to auto, I'll just get nothing. Semi will be fine, but no auto, just the different click. I found it odd it wasn't the other way around, I've heard of people's cut off levers wearing out/breaking and semi no longer functioning so I thought it might have something to do with that... But since my issue is the opposite, it can't be... Right?

All help is appreciated.

• Supporters

I thought it could be that as well, but they're visible once you open the gun up and they're meeting fine, cleanly and with no gaps at all.

The circuit breaker contacts that cut the battery off from the motor when the gun is opened up seem fine as well.

I feel like it has something to do with the feeling from the trigger, like I'm forcing something to near breaking point every time the trigger fails, it's weird and hard to describe, I doubt anyone will know what I mean unless they've had similar issues.

I've heard of the trigger contacts oxidising though... Is that something you can visibly see? 'Cos the contacts themselves look fine. I don't have anything to clean them with if not either.

• Supporters

Oxidation is rust when talking about metals, Ed. So you'd be able to see that quite easily, especially if there was enough there to prevent them from working properly.

• Supporters

I thought so. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm pretty sure I can rule that out. I have a feeling it's a mechanical issue, which means I ought to be able to fix it myself as I'm good with stuff like that (believe it or not) I just don't know how the mechanical parts work in conjunction with the electronic parts so it's making it hard to diagnose the problem.

I want to know what's blocking the trigger when it fails...

I've not seen the ICS receiver but I presume it must be similar to the G&G / Army one that has a rod linking the trigger to the gearbox at the rear. If so, have you looked at the linkage with the top receiver removed, to see how it all moves together? It could be something in that linkage that is catching or loose, which then doesn't connect with the trigger mechanism on the gearbox.

• Supporters

I just completely stripped it down to the bare bones, I almost literally had it down to individual components. I've never taken anything apart so much. I completely dismantled the trigger mech and removed all the contacts, gave them a soak and scrub in case it was something to do with them, put it all back together, no change.

There was something catching in the trigger mech and I've sorted that out now, it seemed like something had become misaligned, maybe just an inbuilt flaw in the design? I still don't fully understand what it was that was making the piece catch, but dismantling it and putting it back together seemed to sort it out.

I checked the fire selector linkage and that's all fine as well.

However, despite sorting out the mechanical issues, it still doesn't work.

Now it's back to the same trigger pull and click that it should do, just nothing happens. It's like the battery's dead but it's not.

All the circuitry looks completely fine though as I check it all for visible breaks when I stripped it down. It's like it just turned into a lemon for no reason.

Maybe the motor's dead? It was working fine earlier today though. I think there must just be something wrong with the circuit somewhere, I just don't have the eye or the skill to figure it out.

Any thoughts?

• Supporters

yea i have an idea STOP TAKING STUFF APART YOU!!!!

check that all the connecter`s are actually in because i had that and a wire had fallen out of the tamiya so i pushed it back in and Viola it worked altough i think your on dean`s but check the spade connector`s any way

• Supporters

I am using Tamiyas actually, but it's nothing to do with the battery connectors.

The whole circuit looks sound apart from a squished part of wire, but I wouldn't have thought it was completely broken internally. But I guess that's all that's left to be wrong, I've checked everything else.

I'll try rewiring it on Saturday and see if that sorts it.

• Supporters

Just stripped the wire out of impatience using scissors and despite it being squished, it's still fine.

Any other ideas?

Is there much chance it could be short circuiting somewhere? I can't see it happening anywhere, are there any common areas it can happen or anything like that?

I've checked everywhere everything joins up and can't see the circuit failing. I just don't understand why it's dead =[

• Supporters

I fixed it!

The problem seemed to be, that from all the taking apart I've been doing recently to put new barrels in and out and new hop rubbers and altering the spring tension for CQB/Woodland etc, had pushed the receiver contacts out of place, so they didn't mesh properly when the two halves of the gun were pushed up together. Leaving the circuit incomplete.

I just gave them a prod, a wiggle and bent them back a little bit and now, although I still intermittently get circuit failures, at least I know why.

I'll have to keep tweaking it until I get it right.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Sorry it was a bit of a wild goose chase lol.

Since I've got it up and running though, it seems to be whirring with a slightly higher pitch when you pull the trigger. Y'know, the general noise of the gears?

I took the gearbox apart and upon putting it back together, I found a shim/washer/bearing thing on the floor that must've fallen out, so I opened it back up and guessed where it must've been (every gear had one shim except one, so I put the one I found on the gear without a shim) is that likely to cause significant damage?

There's a pretty decent chance it might just be all in my head, but I thought I'd mention it to be sure. It still seems to be functioning completely fine, the noise just seems higher pitched.

Edit: Just realised that the motor was screwed in too far, loosened it up a bit and that's sorted it.

Archived