Ear protection and face masks

RostokMcSpoons

Wednesday evening was a thoroughly enjoyable event at Special Ops' "The Fireplace" CQB environment.
Plenty of amusing gameplay, all worthy of a write-up by someone who reports such things better than me... but I'm here to ask about protection.

I was taking refuge in a tight corridor when someone (turned out to be a teammate) lobbed a (12-bore primer) grenade at my feet.  
Damn, it was loud.   I've already got fecked hearing so it was less than ideal to be in such a confined space with no where for the sound to go but at me.

Towards the end of evening, I pretty much returned the favour except my 'nade didn't go off.   He'd have been kneeling next to it in a similar confined space, so a blessing tbh.

Anyway, I wished I'd had my Howard Leight active ear pro on, but the darned things don't fit with my One Tigris mesh mask.   I value my teeth and face too, so I've always chosen the mask over the earpro, but this has convinced me I need both!  

So - any good suggestions for face masks that are compatible with wearing ear defenders?   

(My usual mask is the one with the integrated ear guards, but I've tried the version without and that still has strapping and buckles that get in the way of the ear cups)

One of the snood type masks would be my suggestion.

Think mines delta mile or somthing like that. Comfy, breathable and doesn’t get in the way of your headset. 

I'm a bit more minimalist/cheap so I tend to just wear foam earplugs in cqb. No interference with facemasks at all. Once cash is a bit more plentiful I might invest in some active protection ear plugs if there are any decent ones.

I use the laylax one, just because the silicone thing in it can be chucked in the dishwasher after a game day.

Are you talking about a .209 primer BFG or a 12g blank? I can't imagine the latter would be allowed at indoor site...

Regardless, I use a Delta Mike face pro snood with Comtacs just fine. I'd definitely want both in CQB.

41 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Are you talking about a .209 primer BFG or a 12g blank? I can't imagine the latter would be allowed at indoor site...

Regardless, I use a Delta Mike face pro snood with Comtacs just fine. I'd definitely want both in CQB.

Sorry yes, I do mean the .209, same as I have in my 'nade.  I saw him loading it (and complaining about how a batch of his seem not to work at all).

Yup, I've got foam plugs, and also the Army ones (forget the make).   I have got a snood-style mask somewhere, but that's not really enough protection given the close ranges involved - my torso looks like I rolled around in a bee's nest after Wednesday!  It just seems a shame to have good ear pro and not use it, if there's something halfway between a snood with a mouth guard, and the mesh masks :(

Oh yeah, to those of you with active ear-pro... my only testing with the Howard Leights so far is clapping loudly while I've got them on:  the first clap I hear mostly(?) unimpeded via the pass-through capability - it's only on successive claps that the active side kicks in and really dulls it down.   Are they broken, or is that expected?   It's not like I'm trying to protect my hearing from a second grenade!  Are my claps not loud enough to demonstrate the actual usage?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

15 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

If there's something halfway between a snood with a mouth guard, and the mesh masks :(

It's something I've been thinking about for a while. If you work it out, you could probably make a bit of cash.

I’m not keen on full face masks so have always worn just goggles.  Then a few years ago I got hit in the mouth and it chipped a tooth.  I still don’t like wearing full face so wear a mouth guard.  The only slight problem is the funny looks on teammates faces when I try and speak to them with the mouth guard in 😆

Saying that, if I played indoors I’d wear a full face mask.

Earmor M20 are in-ear hearing protection.

I use them with a Delta Mike.

Another vote for the Earmor m20. It's a pair of in-ear hearing protection and they charge by USB in a little case much like wireless headphones do, so they're super easy. Only downside I found with them is I can't run comms at the same time.