Sources of thrust bearings for spring guides

The_Lord_Poncho

I have a few spring guides which don't have bearings (and neither do the corresponding piston heads have bearings either). I believe the type of bearing that typically is used on spring guides is known as a 'thrust bearing'. Typically these can be had for a few pence, especially from the like of aliexpress. Upon measuring a number of my spring guides, the diameter of their shaft closest to the lugs at their rear measures just over 11mm. Spring outer diameter measures around 15mm, so I'm guessing the bearings i need have an inner diameter of, say, 11.5mm, and an outer of circa 16mm.

I've been looking through countless listings, and failing to find bearings that fit these dimensions - has anyone else had any success?

I know that there are purpose sold options, I'm just trying to save a few quid!

8 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

I know that there are purpose sold options, I'm just trying to save a few quid!

I'm really not sure it's worth it when AK2M4 sell complete spring guides for a very fair price. However, like many airsoft things there's no guarantee that they'll fit all gearbox shells perfectly (especially if QD). 

4 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

I'm really not sure it's worth it when AK2M4 sell complete spring guides for a very fair price. However, like many airsoft things there's no guarantee that they'll fit all gearbox shells perfectly (especially if QD). 

Fair point - but I have three guns that this could benefit. 3x £8 -£24+ postage. Whereas (if i can get the right size of course - big 'if') I can get 5 bearings on their own with postage included for £2.50. That's a good saving!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Upon measuring a number of my spring guides, the diameter of their shaft closest to the lugs at their rear measures just over 11mm. Spring outer diameter measures around 15mm, so I'm guessing the bearings i need have an inner diameter of, say, 11.5mm, and an outer of circa 16mm.

I've been looking through countless listings, and failing to find bearings that fit these dimensions - has anyone else had any success?

Thrust bearings don't come that slim. The bearings on spring guides aren't that size either, bearing guides are made in two/three parts that are threaded together, the inside diameter of the thrust bearings on them is nowhere near 11mm. It's more like 6-7mm which IS a size you'll find. However, you won't be able to fit them to your fixed spring guides. If you have a bearing on the back of your piston head then you don't need one on your spring guide anyway.

Personally I wouldn't trust any bearing that you can buy from AliExpress for a few pence anyway! This is most likely the sort of price you'd be looking at for something half decent https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p504954/F8-16G-Budget-Single-Thrust-Ball-Bearing-with-Grooved-Washers-8x16x5mm/product_info.html

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

Personally I wouldn't trust any bearing that you can buy from AliExpress

For any other use, I would agree, but I think for airsoft spring guide bearings, even the cheapest ones will be more than enough, it is not spinning at any high speed nor needs to be precise nor under any specific high load, as long as it rotates better than a washer, it will have performed its duty

As long as it is greased, of course