Why when adverts are placed, and a question is asked, the potential seller ignores the question.

novioman

Never understand why if you’re trying to sell items on here and other forums,  questions posed by potential buyers are ignored.  Not only is it bad manners, but for me it flags up concerns about how reliable the person selling is and will be. 🤔

• Supporters

If they're juggling several forums to list could be they dont check here too often.

I've also had the occasional pm on here land with no notification, and only caught them when reading other pm's, so might be that.

Are you talking about PM's or on the listing? I say always PM, but as mentioned above it's usually only when I go to renew the ad that I see there's been a question asked.

4 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Are you talking about PM's or on the listing? I say always PM, but as mentioned above it's usually only when I go to renew the ad that I see there's been a question asked.

I’am talking about the listing itself. When I place adverts I always check them regularly to see if any questions have been asked. I don’t get email notifications either if questions are asked on the listing itself, I didn’t think anyone did, I thought it was only PM’s that you got notification. 

As others have said - I don’t get a notification for questions, and am unlikely to check on my own listings until they need to be renewed. 

I wouldn’t necessarily see it as bad manners or a measure of reliability; if you want a question answered then send a PM?

23 minutes ago, Jacob Wright said:

As others have said - I don’t get a notification for questions, and am unlikely to check on my own listings until they need to be renewed. 

I wouldn’t necessarily see it as bad manners or a measure of reliability; if you want a question answered then send a PM?

For me it’s just common sense to keep a close eye on your adverts, and it does put me off if I ask a question and it’s not answered. Maybe that’s just me though.

19 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Very few people use the comment on advert function. I see it as quite pointless. PM means someone is more serious in my eyes. 

I will ask a more casual question on the listing, it doesn’t mean that I’am that interested in buying definitely, if I’am really interested I will PM. I don’t think it’s pointless personally.

• Supporters

I think the point novioman is making, is that some sellers appear to ignore questions, even when renewing ads.

Thing is, often when questions are asked, the information  requested is usually relevant to everyone here, such as when a seller says collection only & then fails to state their location for said collection. 

Alternatively members, myself included, will ask a public question because of a concern of the validity of the ad, or even the seller themselves,  again this is usually intended just to give all interested parties a heads up to do due diligence before agreeing a purchase.

On 07/09/2024 at 11:14, JinxDuh said:

I never get email notifications if a question is asked on my sales posts. Nine times out of ten, it isn’t until I go to renew the advert that I see the question/questions. Might be the same case? 

This is me as well. If I don’t get email notifications about it, I don’t check it for a week.

On 07/09/2024 at 13:25, Tackle said:

I think the point novioman is making, is that some sellers appear to ignore questions, even when renewing ads.

Thing is, often when questions are asked, the information  requested is usually relevant to everyone here, such as when a seller says collection only & then fails to state their location for said collection. 

Alternatively members, myself included, will ask a public question because of a concern of the validity of the ad, or even the seller themselves,  again this is usually intended just to give all interested parties a heads up to do due diligence before agreeing a purchase.

Personally, I reckon it’s down to level of effort and quality of the goods. The sellers ignoring questions want your money and that’s it… if you’re inclined to ask questions, you’re probably already too much effort for them. The chances are you’d contact them once you received the goods and realised it’s not as good as you expected.

Dealt with a few people over the years who sell dodgy kit and then block you once they’ve got your money and thrown it in the post.