GBB Pistol as my first Airsoft gun

ariix

Hi

First off, I know that GBBs aren't the best choice as a beginner gun if you want to play airsoft, but I am currently more interested in just playing around with the gun in my garden than participating in actual games. That is why I am going for  GBB - I want the realistic feel more than anything, and don't care much about performance (at least right now, maybe I'll get more interested later).

My main question would be on what exactly I need to buy? What tools, what gas, what oil etc. For your information, I was thinking of buying the TM MK45 - it's kinda pricey but I heard the quality is worth it. Currently planning on buying 110PSI light gas and KINGS ARMS x SWISS ARMS 0.25g BBs.

Thanks for any tips and advices!

Welcome

Yep, GBB pistols are more fun than AEGs and there are no rules about what to buy first.

The TM MK45 is a good choice as its one of the better performers and you'll have a lot of fun plinking indoors or the garden.

You won't really be able to play an airsoft game with one but you can always rent and get an AEG later if you want to dive in.

The gas and BBs is all you need for now and your choices are good there too 👍

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

Yup, that's a solid choice.  Cleaning is just a case of running a cleaning rod with a patch of cloth up the barrel occasionally, and if you want to lube it, any silicone based gloop or spray will be fine. No need to over-think it.

Pistols are viable at CQB sites if you wanted to give that a go, although spare mags are (almost) a necessity. Or you could rent and get a site AEG, then use the pistol for extra fun.

Dive in, it's a fun hobby, with lots of ways to enjoy it.

I've heard really good things about the mk45's abilities so it's undoubtedly a great choice for a skirmisher's sidearm, but I'd argue (possibly against my own instincts) that, if you might only end up garden plinking, a more realistic metal slide pistol would serve you better. 

For reference I've got 3 pistols, a TM D.O.R (hi capa) which is my sidearm of choice, winter and summer.  It's great.

And a cheap Glock, and a cheap M93. 

In terms of 'personality' I'd probably choose the metal slide M93 even though it doesn't shoot in the cold!  Call it a combination of 'heft' and my liking of the 93's aesthetics.  (I remain on the lookout for a TM 93, as I expect it might do everything well)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

As Rostock… above mentioned, be aware that TM pistols have plastic slides due to japanese firearm laws. They are great for actuall games.

But if you’re goin for realistic backyard plinking at short distances you’d be better of with a metal slide. Go for something cheap that appeals to you, like a WE or KJW. Or even a Vorsk. At 10ft it doesnt really matter.

As for lubricants just go with something Ptfe or lithium for metal on metal, silicone grease for plastic parts, dont overdo it. Have a read around, dont spray your entire gun with silicone oil. 

As for bb weight, well for garden plinking it doesnt matter much, .25 will do more then fine unless your garden is huge.

Thanks for all these advices, and yeah, I've looked into it and I might go for a KJW after all, due to what I assume would be a more realistic feel. Maybe the Hi-Capa 5.1 or the KP.09? HEard good things about them.

I agree that metal slides are more realistic and fun so if perfect performance isn't critical then go for a metal one.

I had a KJW KP09 and it performed really well so that's definitely a good choice.  Most of Mine are WE and apart from the Hi-Powers they're great for price/performance.  I even have a few from Vorsk and haven't had any problems with them.

For plinking they all perform roughly the same so just get the one you like the look of.

Important not to lube too much.  Don't spray anything in the nozzle or barrel.

And even though you haven't mentioned it I would advise to stay away from Co2 as they can be a lot of hassle/expense when they go wrong.

Edited by EDcase

9 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

That KJW KP09 is a handsome beastie, that'll go some way to scratching some of my Browning Hi-Power itch some day :)

Funnily enough that's the reason I got one, because the Hi-Power MK3 wasn't available at the time and it looks very similar.

Its a MUCH better pistol than the Hi-Power but I had to have the real thing so I sold the KP09.  (This was before we found out the flaw with the Hi-Power)

Is that the flaw where you must always load a magazine into the pistol with the slide locked back, to prevent the nozzle getting bumped and damaged?  If that's the only thing wrong with it, I might still get one (some day)

Yes, plus the hop is very basic and hard to adjust. (You have to take the inner barrel out where there is a tiny grub screw to adjust)

I just can't understand why no other company has made such an iconic pistol.

Edited by EDcase

10 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Is that the flaw where you must always load a magazine into the pistol with the slide locked back, to prevent the nozzle getting bumped and damaged?  If that's the only thing wrong with it, I might still get one (some day)

It's the valve knocker that fails, especially if you insert a mag without cocking the gun first. Slide doesn't need to be locked back, just cocked. TBH it's so easy to replace that It's not a big issue, A mate and I have been experimenting with a fix involving using a steel pin to replace the post the knocker 'spring' fits on ( thats the bit that snaps) Too early yet to know if it's a perminant fix. 

I run mine regularly and have actually had very few failures of the knocker, it lifts .30's happily and is a hoot to use.

image.thumb.jpeg.f893a56c4780db773e5c7ccd7965c342.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a bit late to this thread. So hopefully you’ve not bought just yet.

if you’re going to run a pistol only as your first gun, I’d recommend something simple, reliable and easy to upgrade/repair.

That narrows it down to the TM Hicapa in my opinion. It’s very reliable, plentiful, easy to use and a wealth of parts to repair if it breaks.

AEA518D1-B2FF-46B7-BF7D-2FC777BB173D.thumb.jpeg.1097a358f92d84d7605024542a657c26.jpeg

the HK45 is a great pistol but isn’t the easiest for repairing if it breaks.

I’d also ask you to consider they Tokyo Marui Gen5 MOS. It’s fantastic out of the box. Theres a few options for spares and repairs, but there will be a flood of new parts in the foreseeable future. It’s less simple to work on. But works so well that you shouldn’t need to upgrade much.

60a28fa9-7b5c-4400-812a-8c975412bdcb.thumb.jpeg.80e6b879e6bf8b5b88313e3edb630987.jpeg