trouble zeroing in

DanBow

Took my G&G to a private field today to try to zero in my clone Eotech. Essentially I have used it straight out of the box. Apart from the spring palaver! So, apart from using it in game, it's never been played with!

So, I set the hop to zero, and fired a few shots and there was a bit of range but in a typical bowed downwards trajectory. Kept on turning it up, a little at a time, until it was nice and level ish with a little upward kick at the end.

Put on the sight and it's shooting high so I adjusted the image up as much as I could but it is still shooting over the image at about 50 yards.

I've just thought, I should have tried adjusting it down too! 

Anyway, apart from adjusting it the other way, any thoughts or is it new sight time?

Edited by DanBow

2 minutes ago, DanBow said:

Took my G&G to a private field today to try to zero in my clone Eotech. Essentially I have used it straight out of the box. Apart from the spring palaver! So, apart from using it in game, it's never been played with!

So, I set the hop to zero, and fired a few shots and there was a bit of range but in a typical bowed downwards trajectory. Kept on turning it up, a little at a time, until it was nice and level ish with a little upward kick at the end.

Sounds about right so far, what's the issue?

1 minute ago, gavinkempsell said:

Sounds about right so far, what's the issue?

Somehow it posted before I had finished typing! I blame my stupid fat fingers!

9 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

shim the sight before you buy a replacement.

That's not a bad idea.

Went back and adjusted my sight the other way last week. At around 40m its pretty spot on. 😁

Not wanting to Hijack this thread but... 

Does anyone have a list of ideal distance to zero sights, Red Dot, 3x, 5x, 8x etc... or is there a calculation you can use to work it out? 

10 hours ago, MorganL said:

Not wanting to Hijack this thread but... 

Does anyone have a list of ideal distance to zero sights, Red Dot, 3x, 5x, 8x etc... or is there a calculation you can use to work it out? 

Imo it depends on the site you play at, there's no point in us telling you to zero at a certain range if engagement ranges don't get that far or your gun won't shoot that far. 

Mine is set for about the 40m mark at the moment.

Also it's worth getting into the habit of checking and rezeroing your sight in the morning before a game as knocks from transporting etc can cause the point of aim to shift, especially with the cheaper optics 

What he said.

Zero in your sights at the range that you expect to shoot.

Then practice shooting targets that are nearer and further away so that you know how to adjust aim

Alternatively practice shooting at a few ranges.

See what appears to be a ‘long’ distance at which you can consistently hit within a fair but wide grouping (eg half the size of a human beings chest) and consider that to be the furthest that you would use your sights.

Next pick out a closer distance at which you would look into the sights (not so close that you can just point and shoot)

Pick a middling distance (not exactly the centre of both of those ranges - you are going to attempt to set your zero at the mid point of the sight between your short and long distances.  To pick what that middle distance is shoot at your long distance and your short distance.  Read the sight markings to check how many dots/dashes there are between them.

Adjust the sights so that they are either the most apart on your sight, or preferably not quite the most apart (which allows you some more visual adjustment when in game) 

Then aim for the centre marking of the sight and position yourself / your target going a little closer / further away until you get your optimum grouping on that centre mark.

That is then your zeroing distance and you have worked out how you expect that you should adjust aim for different distances 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Also it's worth getting into the habit of checking and rezeroing your sight in the morning before a game as knocks from transporting etc can cause the point of aim to shift

This, I always readjust the hop and then zero the sight in the morning.  And I try to zero at the limit of the hopped flight, as any closer shot will be easier to make anyway.