Aluminum casting 3D printed parts.

BigStew

Got several 3d print parts that aren't strong enough in PLA any one able to recommend some one who can do aluminum casting?

Edited by BigStew

Well, maybe try other materials first before going to the extreme end of things. Try PETG, ABS, Nylon. Also, not all PLA are equal. I've been using esun pla+ for nearly everything for while.

Would help if you let us know what the purpose of the parts are for?

17 hours ago, BigStew said:

Got several 3d print parts that aren't strong enough in PLA any one able to recommend some one who can do aluminum casting?

I know a chap that could get ali parts machined but I’m not sure it would be cheap though. 

1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

I know a chap that could get ali parts machined but I’m not sure it would be cheap though. 

One of the parts is a receiver that will most likely be far too expensive. The real thing is cast 

PLA isn’t the right filament to use IMHO. You could try PLA+ or PETG but the way you slice it is important as well. 

I’ve only recently started 3d printing and I’ve already broken a few AAP prints I am working on.

Try to find out in what direction you will have the main force and try to have your layers in parallel to that.

The picture below shows where the print failed after about 1 hour of skirmish. I’ve printed the body upright as that required the least support (especially in inside) but that wasn’t the right decision it seems. 

IMG_4964.thumb.jpeg.68974951c45e13e616c97f9f961a8259.jpeg

ABS or ASA would be an option for filament but I believe you will need an enclosure for your 3d printer if you want to print those filaments.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ParHunter said:

PLA isn’t the right filament to use IMHO. You could try PLA+ or PETG but the way you slice it is important as well. 

I’ve only recently started 3d printing and I’ve already broken a few AAP prints I am working on.

Try to find out in what direction you will have the main force and try to have your layers in parallel to that.

The picture below shows where the print failed after about 1 hour of skirmish. I’ve printed the body upright as that required the least support (especially in inside) but that wasn’t the right decision it seems. 

IMG_4964.thumb.jpeg.68974951c45e13e616c97f9f961a8259.jpeg

ABS or ASA would be an option for filament but I believe you will need an enclosure for your 3d printer if you want to print those filaments.

The parts are for a Ruger Mini 14. The gun is locked together by the trigger guard locking into the upper receiver. The 3D printed receiver locking tabs are just not strong enough in any plastic.

Edited by BigStew

go to PCBway and go to the 3D printing section. you can choose Aluminum (AlSi10Mg). They check the file for errors and then send you a quote. takes about 1 week to produce and about 2 to 3 weeks to reach the UK. Prices are not too bad to be honest and expect the bigger parts to be more expensive. You can upload and get them to quote with actually buying so you can back out if it's too pricy.

I've used them a few times and they have always been spot on.

• Supporters
18 hours ago, BigStew said:

The parts are for a Ruger Mini 14. The gun is locked together by the trigger guard locking into the upper receiver. The 3D printed receiver locking tabs are just not strong enough in any plastic.

Are you using M14 parts? Could you not just use the trigger guard plate that comes from an M14?

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Are you using M14 parts? Could you not just use the trigger guard plate that comes from an M14?

No I found a gunsmith that has real Mini 14 trigger guard and frame for sale

markup_1000004333.jpg

• Supporters

Sweet! Does the trigger guard not latch into a metal part on that then? Might be better off having something fabbed up in metal.

I mean, as in sheet metal rather than 3d printed.

The system is a scaled down copy of the M14. the trigger guard is pinned to the trigger housing and clamps into two tabs in the underside of the upper receiver. Unless I can get hold of a several tonne press sheet metal is not a practical possibility. I awaiting a rough quote from a foundry local to me. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, BigStew said:

The system is a scaled down copy of the M14. the trigger guard is pinned to the trigger housing and clamps into two tabs in the underside of the upper receiver. Unless I can get hold of a several tonne press sheet metal is not a practical possibility. I awaiting a rough quote from a foundry local to me. 

How scaled down in the trigger guard? I was wondering if you could modify one of these https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/m60/CYMA/p23336/CYMA-Metal-Trigger-Guard-Assembly-for-M14-AEG-Series/product_info.html might be a bit cheaper?

So ready have one dimension are off. Still requires the upper receiver tabs to take loads the 3,D print pla cannot handle. If you try to split the trigger from the upper the tabs shear.