Hi everyone

Hi everyone, nice to meet you.

Recently moved to the London and looking to get into the Hobby here. There seems to be dead links in:

Any tips on getting started with the hobby in London specifically, not keen to travel too far just yet, and knowing that I have no social group to play with.

regards and have a nice weekend!

London is rather large ...  roughly which bit?  Do you have your own transport?  How far are you willing to go?

Welcome to the site!

The last thing to worry about is a social network of airsofters...  I regularly go on my tod.  Airsofters are a friendly bunch.

Welcome to the money pit!

Don't worry about not having a social group to play with. You can make good acquaintances, if not new friends, through airsoft. I went to the majority of my games without people I met outside of airsoft.

As Shamal said, having suitable eyepro is an absolute must. You can get very afforable eye protection that's suitable for airsoft, just don't be tempted by the cheapest thing you find on eBay that doesn't come from a known brand such as Bolle. In addition to boots with good ankle support, good gloves are a worthwhile investment - being shot in the knuckles with thin or no gloves can be much more painful (not long lasting though) than you might expect.

Rental might seem expensive to start but think of it as an investment in the hobby. If the worst should happen and you decide airsoft isn't for you, rental will likely be a smaller loss than you would experience buying a two-tone, only to find you find yourself struggling to resell it for even close to what you paid.

55 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

London is rather large ...  roughly which bit?  Do you have your own transport?  How far are you willing to go?

Welcome to the site!

The last thing to worry about is a social network of airsofters...  I regularly go on my tod.  Airsofters are a friendly bunch.

Hey thanks for the welcome! Am located around Wandsworth, I have wheels and could travel but probably only once I'm more vested, but I do see that bunker-51 is nearby, if you are familiar with them do they have some sort of pick up group format? I'll give em a call.

21 minutes ago, Galvatron said:

Welcome to the money pit!

Don't worry about not having a social group to play with. You can make good acquaintances, if not new friends, through airsoft. I went to the majority of my games without people I met outside of airsoft.

As Shamal said, having suitable eyepro is an absolute must. You can get very afforable eye protection that's suitable for airsoft, just don't be tempted by the cheapest thing you find on eBay that doesn't come from a known brand such as Bolle. In addition to boots with good ankle support, good gloves are a worthwhile investment - being shot in the knuckles with thin or no gloves can be much more painful (not long lasting though) than you might expect.

Rental might seem expensive to start but think of it as an investment in the hobby. If the worst should happen and you decide airsoft isn't for you, rental will likely be a smaller loss than you would experience buying a two-tone, only to find you find yourself struggling to resell it for even close to what you paid.

Yes will defintely not skimp on that then. thank you.

4 hours ago, Shamal said:

Hi bud.

Nice to meet you as well.

I bet I know what gun you want to get 😂

Check out 'playairsoft.co.uk' that will tell you about any sites near you.

Be prepared to have your wallet hoovered clean lol.

Find a site near you,make a booking as a rental player(I'm assuming you don't have any kit yet) and go along. You will need some sensible oldish clothes but make sure you are well covered. Good sturdy boots with ankle support are a must as is good quality eye protection with ballistic rating of En166,En172. No eye pro no play.

As a rental you will get a gun,battery and ammo.there will probably be full face masks if you want. It would be a good idea to use them to start with. You will still need your eye pro though.

Talk to people there,you will find them ready and willing to help you out with any questions.(I wouldn't though cause I'm an anti social git!)

If you enjoy it and want to carry on then that's good but be prepared to spend 😂

Good luck👍

Regards 

haha yes my favourite gun....., thanks for the welcome. 

I've played at Bunker 51 a few times on their mid week evening games and have enjoyed it. I've heard some people complain it gets too crowded at weekend games and as it's a small site so I can fully believe it

Wandsworth is travelling distance to the likes of Red Alert..... I regularly drive upwards of an hour for a gameday,  but as I'm outside Laaandan (North Hertfordshire) I am lucky to have quite selection in the driving range.

Remember,  leaving Wandsworth at that time of the morning on a weekend is going to be very different to what you might think it is during your weekday commutes - I travel in to your area regularly by car/van for work.  The loss of Hammersmith bridge has been major, and many years later TFL and Richmond Council are still arguing over who has to fix it.

Edited by Dan Robinson

Catch the train from Clapham Junction to Three Bridges, and there are a few good woodland sites within a very short taxi ride. As a rental player, my instinct says that, of those, you would have a better time at Driver Wood- where the terrain is a bit more of a leveller when you have the rental kit than at Dogtag.

15 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Catch the train from Clapham Junction to Three Bridges, and there are a few good woodland sites within a very short taxi ride. As a rental player, my instinct says that, of those, you would have a better time at Driver Wood- where the terrain is a bit more of a leveller when you have the rental kit than at Dogtag.

Awesome thank you

I'm actually gone be moving to London soon too, East Croydon to be exact and then I will be on the same boat as you trying to find sites to play. Luckily I have gear and rifles :D

Edited by matas17

On 21/04/2024 at 00:43, matas17 said:

I'm actually gone be moving to London soon too, East Croydon to be exact and then I will be on the same boat as you trying to find sites to play. Luckily I have gear and rifles :D

Same applies to you then as my post above! With the additional advice of thinking carefully if you are tempted by 'Tactical Warfare'  - the Croydon airsoft site. Very much suffers from mixed reviews - have a search on the forum to see why....

On 24/04/2024 at 10:43, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Same applies to you then as my post above! With the additional advice of thinking carefully if you are tempted by 'Tactical Warfare'  - the Croydon airsoft site. Very much suffers from mixed reviews - have a search on the forum to see why....

I have looked at the reviews of it on google and most seemed positive but I'll do my research on it and see what comes up.

On 21/04/2024 at 00:43, matas17 said:

there is some around that area, Surrey...  when you move we could all meet and play together

I am in West Drayton