I lost one of my springs ):

Yashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello! I currently have a Specna Arms Edge 2.0. (SA-H22)

I want to go for a quick cqb session, however the spring thats for cqb is gone walkies somewhere and i cant seem to find it.

I was wondering if anyone could link me a decent spring that is good for indoors?

My current fps is 350 with current spring and of course I cant use that indoors.

25 minutes ago, Yashy said:

My current fps is 350 with current spring and of course I cant use that indoors.

I take it you want to get down to under 1 joule/328fps with a .2? If so you'll need a M95 or M100 spring. A M100 should give about 325 fps* but this is only a ballpark figure so you could get above 330*. To err on the side of caution fitting a M95 would give around the 310* mark. IMO that few extra fps won't make any noticable difference and you know you're going to be under site limits so I'd go for a M95

*with a .2g bb

Edited by Cannonfodder

21 minutes ago, Yashy said:

Hello! I currently have a Specna Arms Edge 2.0. (SA-H22)

I want to go for a quick cqb session, however the spring thats for cqb is gone walkies somewhere and i cant seem to find it.

I was wondering if anyone could link me a decent spring that is good for indoors?

Unfortunately, the answer to your question rather depends on what spring is in there now giving you 350FPS.

If it is an M100, an M90 or M95 should do the trick; however, it is impossible to give an accurate answer.  The XT springs from AK2M4 are very good. https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/springs

45 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

I take it you want to get down to under 1 joule/328fps with a .2? If so you'll need a M95 or M100 spring. A M100 should give about 325 fps* but this is only a ballpark figure so you could get above 330*. To err on the side of caution fitting a M95 would give around the 310* mark. IMO that few extra fps won't make any noticable difference and you know you're going to be under site limits so I'd go for a M95

*with a .2g bb

0.25, my apologies.

Best bet is probably an M90 spring

AK2M4 is currently out of stock on any m90's

I usually use these (select m90)
https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/rocket-airsoft-aeg-spring-m90-m100-m110-m120-m130-m140-38644-p.asp
Shipping is a bit of an oof though (£6.99)

I generally get around the 300-320 mark with these, testing on .25g blaster devils, (dependant on*),
so are generally a good shout, especially if you got anything in your gun boosting fps,
e.g *Hop unit/rubber/barrel

33 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Unfortunately, the answer to your question rather depends on what spring is in there now giving you 350FPS.

If it is an M100, an M90 or M95 should do the trick; however, it is impossible to give an accurate answer.  The XT springs from AK2M4 are very good. https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/springs

I think its a m100 spring, thats giving me the 350 fps. i'm really not sure lol.

If you're uncertain, is it feasible for you to visit a shop that has an in-store tech and shooting range? The tech might have open springs you could test with so you'd know if an M100, M95, M90, etc would be the best option for you.

As otthers said, there isn't a practical linear way of determining the change in performance even when you know the spring as the air seal in the cylinder has an effect too. Sometimes there is trial and error.

1 hour ago, Yashy said:

0.25, my apologies.

Pardon my confusion but is that the weight where you're quoting a current speed of 350fps? I'm not sure that's even legal, let alone permitted on outdoor sites for a full-auto capable airsoft gun.

328fps is still sketchy with 0.25g pellets as that's above ~1.14J. Just to clear any doubt, what's the site's energy limit and/or what's the maximum speed permitted with a pellet of a specified weight?

FYI, it's not a universal rule that indoor/CQB sites don't allow ~1.14J - the site I play at does permit up to that energy limit with up to 0.28g pellets. I know the likes of Bunker 51 have a hard limit of 1J.

8 hours ago, Yashy said:

0.25, my apologies.

350fps with a .25? I hope not as that's above the legal limit (equivalent to 390 with a .2)

As above, what are the site's power limits?

2 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

The .25 is at a lower speed I think.

Still needs a 90 maybe 95 to take the edge off.

Which is why we should always use Joules rather than FPS.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Yashy said:

0.25, my apologies.

Wait, hang on. Are you getting 350fps with 0.25g BBs?

If so, that would be 1.42J, which would make that (technically) a Section 5 firearm, and way above any UK site limit for an auto-capable gun.

Specnas EDGE guns come with two springs, an M90 (which I assume is the lost one) and an M120 (which is consistent with ~1.4J)

If you've been playing with the M120, without your gun locked to semi and using DMR rules and a MED, I'd like to know what site(s) you've been playing at.  And I'd love it if one of the UKAPA reps who frequent here could have a word with them about the wisdom of saying "350fps limit" and assuming that even well intentioned players have any idea what that actually means.

Anyway, tl;dr version, get an M100 spring and a chrono, or an M95 if you want to be more confident that you'll come in under the Joule limit for UK sites.

On 05/01/2024 at 11:40, Rogerborg said:

Wait, hang on. Are you getting 350fps with 0.25g BBs?

If so, that would be 1.42J, which would make that (technically) a Section 5 firearm, and way above any UK site limit for an auto-capable gun.

Specnas EDGE guns come with two springs, an M90 (which I assume is the lost one) and an M120 (which is consistent with ~1.4J)

If you've been playing with the M120, without your gun locked to semi and using DMR rules and a MED, I'd like to know what site(s) you've been playing at.  And I'd love it if one of the UKAPA reps who frequent here could have a word with them about the wisdom of saying "350fps limit" and assuming that even well intentioned players have any idea what that actually means.

Anyway, tl;dr version, get an M100 spring and a chrono, or an M95 if you want to be more confident that you'll come in under the Joule limit for UK sites.

Yes! I've found the packaging, it is an M90 spring and I've found the spring. The 350 at 0.25 is the one I DO not use. I actually found it rolled under my bed and I manage to use it for an cqb game today. (using the quick change system) I still however will need to find a spring if im getting 350 fps at 0.25g.

1 hour ago, Yashy said:

Yes! I've found the packaging, it is an M90 spring and I've found the spring. The 350 at 0.25 is the one I DO not use. I actually found it rolled under my bed and I manage to use it for an cqb game today. (using the quick change system) I still however will need to find a spring if im getting 350 fps at 0.25g.

Which spring did you use today?

16 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Which spring did you use today?

I'm think that he meant he found the lower power spring, fitted and used it

5 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

I'm think that he meant he found the lower power spring, fitted and used it

I also think that is what he meant, but it is not clear.

5 minutes ago, Yashy said:

yeah I used the m90 one, kinda wish I had a bit more fps! Im hitting under 300. at 1J

Higher fps doesn't equal more range. From your barrel cleaning thread I'm guessing you haven't adjusted the hop up.  Basically the hop up applies back spin to the bb allowing it to travel further. Not enough and the bb falls short, too much and it goes a short range then skyward. To adjust the hop up pull  back the charging handleto expose the hop up, turning the dial clockwise will increase the amount of hop up (back spin) and anti clockwise will decrease it. Adjust to wherever gives you the best range. Also changing the weight of bbs can might help

27 minutes ago, Yashy said:

yeah I used the m90 one, kinda wish I had a bit more fps! Im hitting under 300. at 1J

"Under 300. at 1J"

What do you mean?  What weight BB are you using when you get 300fps?

18 hours ago, Yashy said:

0.25, im getting under 300 fps.

How much under?  Around 285-300 on a 0.25 is just about perfect.

With a 0.25g BB, the maximum FPS is 313, as it gives the same energy (Joules) as 350FPS with a 0.20g BB.

If you set up your rifle to be at, or only just below, the limit there is always a risk that you will be overpowered on a site chrono when you go to play; chronos are not consistent.

It is better to set the rifle up to be at about 1J (328FPS on a 0.20g BB or 295FPS on a 0.25g BB) and fit, for example, a 60 degree Maple Leaf Macaron hop rubber with one of AK2M4's red nubs.  You will see a noticeable improvement in range and consistency, especially if you also fit a better quality barrel.

Edited by Colin Allen

6 hours ago, Yashy said:

May I ask what you think you're missing out on by not quite hitting the joule limit? There certainly comes a point where the pellets travel so (relatively) slowly that you're not competitive on the field but in the real world, you're not going to be at an appreciable competitive disadvantage if you're ~0.1J below the limit. Maybe it's just me but I'd take being able to sight an opponent first and have a better trigger response over chasing the joule limit.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.