Shipping rif options

GothicGhost

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I always use Parcel Force, mostly the 48hr service and they’ve always provided insurance up to the value of every gun I’ve sent. The most expensive was around the £800-£900 mark. Not sure if they insure stuff valued over £1000, but I don’t see why not. So far, Parcel Force have always delivered, usually within the 48hrs, sometimes quicker, and I’ve had no issues with items getting damaged or lost. I’ve never used DPD or any other courier to post RIF’s, so can’t comment on how willing they are to carry airsoft guns from private sellers, but I know some of the stores use them as well as UPS.

1 minute ago, Super64 said:

I always use Parcel Force, mostly the 48hr service and they’ve always provided insurance up to the value of every gun I’ve sent. The most expensive was around the £800-£900 mark. Not sure if they insure stuff valued over £1000, but I don’t see why not. So far, Parcel Force have always delivered, usually within the 48hrs, sometimes quicker, and I’ve had no issues with items getting damaged or lost. I’ve never used DPD or any other courier to post RIF’s, so can’t comment on how willing they are to carry airsoft guns from private sellers, but I know some of the stores use them as well as UPS.

That sound good then, so have you ever put a claim in  and got he value back without any problems?

Thanks.

I’ve not had to claim for a lost rif yet, fingers crossed. But, they specifically state they are willing to carry RIF’s as long as they are taken to the post office and the staff are informed of what it is. Also, they should be sent via the 48hr service, although a few times the staff have recommended sending it via 24hr. The biggest hassle is explaining to the counter staff what an airsoft gun is. I usually say it’s similar to paintball. And when they ask the value, I’m always honest and pay the extra for the insurance cover. I have had an issue this week with a rif that was sent out via 24hr service on Monday, but didn’t arrive until today. So I’m potentially going to put a claim in for that.

As far as Parcel Force not paying out on a claim for anything gun shaped, I can’t really comment. It’s definitely something worth looking into more. Is that confirmed or just hearsay?

They will insure RIFs/Package items to their minimum insurance level for PF48 which IIRC is £150, any additional/enhanced insurance is null and void in the shipping of RIFs with them. 

Last time I read through their T&Cs they will only ship "Low Powered Air Weapons" using their PF48 service, so not sure how they'll respond to the use of PF24 etc for shipping.

Below image from their T&Cs.

Screenshot_20231221-225334_Chrome.jpg

Edited by OTH21

The enhanced compensation cover not being available is a little concerning. I’ve been sending RIF’s via Parcel Force for a few years and was aware of the requirements, but not that the enhanced compensation wasn’t available. I wonder if that’s a recent situation or if I’ve just missed it. I always pay extra for the compensation, but if they won’t pay out, I’m clearly wasting my money.

Don’t send 24hr!!!

My local post office lass thought she was doing me a favour and the parcel got scanned and diverted for inspection, took two weeks to arrive with the buyer. 
I never take the enhanced cover, as 64 says, it’s a waste of money (in my opinion)

Only ever send rifs by PF48

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

• Supporters

Literally had a "kinda" conversation about this on a sales thread this week, when I checked Pf48 I could only see a compensation range of £100 to £200, dependent on certain conditions, & could see no option for an enhanced insurance. 

Admittedly I didn't dig that deep but I suspect PF have quietly moved the goalposts, whether its a seasonal thing or more long term I don't know. 

? 🤔

They've not provided extra cover at least the last 3 years, since I first sold a RIF. Doubt they probably ever have. 

Any compensation charged at the counter by staff is probably due to ignorance to their rules or the generic questions they have to ask as to value. 

Personally I've always prepaid online and just dropped it off to be scanned. And had no dramas so far. 

• Supporters
20 hours ago, GothicGhost said:

Thank you all, I will stick with collection only when selling them.

You'll be sharply reducing your potential market.

20 hours ago, GothicGhost said:

Not worth it if it gets lost then no insurance or anything 😭

Mmm. It is hugely frustrating that the story changes depending which which policy of Parcel Farce or Royal Fail you read, or who you speak to.  What I would suggest is that you should describe the item as a "low powered air weapon", not an imitation / replica firearm; and that if you manage to pay at a Royal Fail counter for increased cover the you've formed a contract with them that you should be able to claim against if push really comes to shove.

I think in future 24hr is out of the question. I’ve used it a couple of times, but the vast majority has been 48hr, so I’ll stick with that.

The removal of enhanced compensation is more concerning. Being in the North East, collection only seriously reduces my customer base as most buyers tend to be further south. As far as couriers go, Parcel Force are the most reliable and the only one seemingly willing to transport airsoft guns from private sellers. So I guess I’ll have to stick with them and hope for the best. So far, I’ve had no issues with them, so fingers crossed. I guess if there’s an issue, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

PF48 is the only postal service that accepts RIFs or airguns, I've posted quite a few myself.

DO NOT be tempted to send PF24 no matter what the staff say, it's PF48 only and I believe the max compensation is £100, if you pay extra cover it will not be paid out if the item is lost.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, ibo7 said:

PF48 is the only postal service that accepts RIFs or airguns

Depending which document you read, replicas / imitations are prohibited. Low powered air weapons are the closest to airsoft, but...

19 hours ago, ibo7 said:

it's PF48 only and I believe the max compensation is £100

then there's that.

19 hours ago, ibo7 said:

if you pay extra cover it will not be paid out if the item is lost.

Maaaybe. But if Royal Mail counters have taken the money, you've got an implicit contract with them. Whether a court will enforce it is another question.

The other option is to just use whatever courier you fancy, as "sporting goods", with any level of cover you want, and solidly packaged. If they lose it, well, how can they demonstrate what was in the package?

For all that people believe and claim that businesses have access to special terms that permit sending of RIFs / airguns / airsoft guns, I've yet to see any evidence of it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.