Best MOA for an Red dot sight

Caj109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I've been looking at some vector red dot sights and just curious what the best MOA to go with for these?

Seen a cheaper 5MOA one at the moment but unsure if that's too big of a red dot size.

There's others that are 3 MOA.

I mainly play in woodland.

This will go on an Specna M4

Edited by Caj109

Are you planning on running it with a magnifier? If the answer is yes then a lower MOA would be a good idea. Equally at the kind of range we have with our pews, you'll need a much bigger MOA to totally obscure a target.

Mostly it's preference though as let's face it, we're working with airsoft levels of accuracy and consistency and if the first shot misses there'll always be an element of walking it in.

My red dot purchases have mainly been based on price, how it looks and whether it fits, I'll get it zero'd and functionally that means they are accurate enough for me but I (mostly) play indoors where there's no foliage, wind or rain - so you'd expect fairly decent accuracy/grouping. Outdoors my expectations are much lower and the dot's are useful in making sure I'm in the right ballpark. That said, I don't think I've looked through a 5MOA sight.

12 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Are you planning on running it with a magnifier? If the answer is yes then a lower MOA would be a good idea. Equally at the kind of range we have with our pews, you'll need a much bigger MOA to totally obscure a target.

Mostly it's preference though as let's face it, we're working with airsoft levels of accuracy and consistency and if the first shot misses there'll always be an element of walking it in.

My red dot purchases have mainly been based on price, how it looks and whether it fits, I'll get it zero'd and functionally that means they are accurate enough for me but I (mostly) play indoors where there's no foliage, wind or rain - so you'd expect fairly decent accuracy/grouping. Outdoors my expectations are much lower and the dot's are useful in making sure I'm in the right ballpark. That said, I don't think I've looked through a 5MOA sight.

Thanks for that, no magnifier just the red dot sight I've seen which will go on an M4 Specna.

Suppose like you said it shouldn't have much affect at distance and cover the person loads, good to know. And help pin point the area.

11 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Depends what you want to spend, how they look etc but both dots are smaller than a man's head at 100m, in excess of Airsoft gun range.

Dot quality does matter, they can get glary from optic reflections.

Thanks! Not looking to spend loads so will only be somewhat a cheap red dot sight. Good to know it shouldn't have much affect.

Thanks for the reflection thing, don't know much about them as never bought one before 

Cheers

21 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Outdoors my expectations are much lower and the dot's are useful in making sure I'm in the right ballpark.

Same for me to be fair. In fact, I've only recently embraced using a sight on my (non-DMR) AEGs at all. Until a month or so back, I'd just instinctively shoot with both eyes open, and if needs be correct and follow up with another few shots. Worked absolutely fine, but my head was turned on one memorable occasion when an enemy player and me spotted each other at the same time, at perhaps 30m. I missed with my first shot, whereas his was absolutely golden and nailed me in the face - using his red dot. Since then, I've been rather enjoying one - especially useful in woodland night games as I don't use a tracer and therefore can't walk the shots in.

2 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Same for me to be fair. In fact, I've only recently embraced using a sight on my (non-DMR) AEGs at all. Until a month or so back, I'd just instinctively shoot with both eyes open, and if needs be correct and follow up with another few shots. Worked absolutely fine, but my head was turned on one memorable occasion when an enemy player and me spotted each other at the same time, at perhaps 30m. I missed with my first shot, whereas his was absolutely golden and nailed me in the face - using his red dot. Since then, I've been rather enjoying one - especially useful in woodland night games as I don't use a tracer and therefore can't walk the shots in.

Which kind of red dots do you use? Ones I'm looking at are scope types I suppose not open ones

7 minutes ago, Caj109 said:

Which kind of red dots do you use? Ones I'm looking at are scope types I suppose not open ones

Scope type - in fact this exact one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005368187238.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.208.30621802F13b2w

Very much at the budget end of the spectrum, but works well. Mount is serviceable, but requires the nut on the quick detach arm to be manually tightened each time it is replaced onto a rifle, otherwise its sloppy.

11 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Scope type - in fact this exact one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005368187238.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.208.30621802F13b2w

Very much at the budget end of the spectrum, but works well. Mount is serviceable, but requires the nut on the quick detach arm to be manually tightened each time it is replaced onto a rifle, otherwise its sloppy.

Thanks for that, I'll have a gander! The one I've been looking at is this one

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vector-victoptics-1x35-rd-scope

Cheaper at the moment 

I’ve got that vector one. Been very happy with it (I haven’t used many though!). Solidly made, positive adjustment and holds zero sufficient for my purposes. My only problem is that on my galil it sits a little too high for me, so acquiring the dot can be slow, but that could be fixed by training. It is fine on my M4. I use it in woodland. The 5moa dot has not been a problem.

30 minutes ago, RichardC said:

I’ve got that vector one. Been very happy with it (I haven’t used many though!). Solidly made, positive adjustment and holds zero sufficient for my purposes. My only problem is that on my galil it sits a little too high for me, so acquiring the dot can be slow, but that could be fixed by training. It is fine on my M4. I use it in woodland. The 5moa dot has not been a problem.

Thanks very much for that as I've actually ordered it to give it a go!

Perfect if good for an M4 as what's I run myself and in woodland so a good one to get.

Much appreciated

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Caj109 said:

Hello,

I've been looking at some vector red dot sights and just curious what the best MOA to go with for these?

Seen a cheaper 5MOA one at the moment but unsure if that's too big of a red dot size.

There's others that are 3 MOA.

I mainly play in woodland.

This will go on an Specna M4

You know what MOA is, right?

5 MOA is 5" at 100yards. I very much doubt any standard AEG would do much better than 25 MOA!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.