Made a stupid mistake!

Yashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello! I recently brought a nun chuck 2000ma airsoft battery

I tested it out, worked perfectly.

Now I put it on charge, wanted to ONLY charge it for around 20 mins then store it.

My adhd kicked in and i completely forgot to take it off charge, (only for an hour extra, I was supposed to put it on charge for 20 mins) THANK GOD my charger shuts when the battery is full. now it's been a few days and I'm storing it at full capacity.

What should I do as I shouldn't store it at full charge? Should I use the gun and drain a battery a tiny bit and then store?

The battery was not un-attended, it's actually right behind me but I stupidly got indulged by sweating on a game of csgo and completely forgot that I have charged my airsoft battery to full.

sorry for my stupidity 😞

20 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Do you have means to measure it's voltage?

Is it lithium 

its a lipo battery yeah its lithium.

and no, I'm ordering something to measure the voltage.

7 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

When are you going to be using it in anger next?  If its only a week or so, then I wouldn't panic - just keep it somewhere safe.

I'm not going for a along while as im getting new stuff! what should i do!

What charger are you using?

If it is one of the cheap ones, you really need to get a decent charger, such as the SKYRC S60  https://ymctestdomain.ymcracing.co.uk/chargers/246-skyrc-s60-ac-charger-60w-6a.html.  It is now discontinued, but still available from some retailers.

This will enable you to take your battery down to storage charge safely and will do a much better job of charging your battery.

Edited by Colin Allen

I have always followed the manufacturers guidance and never the varied opinions of often uninformed airsofters.

Quite a few lipo manufacturers recommend fully balance charging lipos straight after use. Charge to 4.2v per cell with no more than .2 variation between cells.

Storage charge is for long term storage. Long term is generally more than 3 months between use. 

I have fully charged batteries that are still holding 4.18/4.19V per cell after 9 moths plus of storage.

Remember it is cycles that degrade batteries, so lowering to storage charge after every use, is in effect complete a single storage and doing this regularly will reduce the effective life of the battery maybe by as much as half of its expected life.

However I am just another uninformed airsofter in reality, and my opinion is not better than the next mans- so read what they manufacturer says- they probably know best

Leaving a cell fully charged creates chemical stresses that may harm the battery/affect it's performance etc.

Good practice is charge to storage level after use and then fully charge soon before you expect to use it.

You should expect 500 cycles, more if you treat of use the battery well.

The b6 battery chargers are great but they cost about 40GBP.

They have IR measurements too so you can see when cells are dying.

51 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

What charger are you using?

If it is one of the cheap ones, you really need to get a decent charger, such as the SKYRC S60  https://ymctestdomain.ymcracing.co.uk/chargers/246-skyrc-s60-ac-charger-60w-6a.html.  It is now discontinued, but still available from some retailers.

This will enable you to take your battery down to storage charge safely and will do a much better job of charging your battery.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/nuprol-lipo-life-balance-charger?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3uGqBhDdARIsAFeJ5r3v8bzoRKSTRig63u_gh7T2z8e1qA9o1vufQ46PGcTuTL1E5OFpGV8aAsu4EALw_wcB using this

I don't know much about batteries or charger, im new to airsoft.

28 minutes ago, Yashy said:

Unfortunately, that charger is not very good at all.

Go for the one Colin recommended or the b6. The extra is worth it. 

You may need a charging lead in addition.

My b6 doesn't have a deans connection.

Or the overlander, which looks like a b6 :)

Edited by Sewdhull
Overlander added

17 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Go for the one Colin recommended or the b6. The extra is worth it. 

You may need a charging lead in addition.

My b6 doesn't have a deans connection.

Or the overlander, which looks like a b6 :)

20 minutes ago, Nick G said:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2000mah-20c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-split-pack.html

This is my battery.

So is the overlander charger safe to use for my batteries that I have? once again I don't know anything about Batteries, will it be simple as plug in and charge or do i have to change settings on the overlander?

16 minutes ago, Yashy said:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2000mah-20c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-split-pack.html

This is my battery.

So is the overlander charger safe to use for my batteries that I have? once again I don't know anything about Batteries, will it be simple as plug in and charge or do i have to change settings on the overlander?

You will have to change settings but it is not difficult; just follow the instructions.

30 minutes ago, Yashy said:

This is my battery.

You will have to change settings, but you will on any decent charger, Once you've done it it is very easy to get the hang of. 

54 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

See dumb shit like this is why I use GBBRs.

Likewise and why my airsoft LiPo's go months at a time between uses

• Supporters
17 hours ago, 1967PF44 said:

Remember it is cycles that degrade batteries, so lowering to storage charge after every use, is in effect complete a single storage and doing this regularly will reduce the effective life of the battery maybe by as much as half of its expected life.

Is that manufacturer's guidance, or...

17 hours ago, 1967PF44 said:

However I am just another uninformed airsofter in reality, and my opinion is not better than the next mans- so read what they manufacturer says- they probably know best

... dammit! 😠

Airsoft batteries cost about as much as a bottle of BBs, and storage charge is not something that I worry about with any lithium based battery, whether it's phone, laptop, vacuum cleaner, or ebike.  I'm not making an exception for airsoft.

14 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

See dumb shit like this is why I use GBBRs.

Mags stored empty, or full, and with what gas? ;) 

24 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mags stored empty, or full, and with what gas? ;) 

They pretty much get stored as they are at the end of the day Lol. Red or green gas (whichever I've been using) but I dont top them off since I seldom run them empty , and if there are BB's in 'em they stay in 'em . In fairness I have left GBBR mags with a full BB load for extended periods and never then had an issue with the mag feeding all the BBs , although I am fussy about what BBs I put in my GBBRs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.