4S batteries

Sewdhull

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Does anyone have any experience using 14.8v (4S) batteries.

I can see there being current draw issues but I can alter the motor duty cycle to mitigate that somewhat.

Perhaps someone has already fiddled around with this?

Maybe with the right motor (higher impedance) it's a thing...

• Supporters

Nope, but I'm interested in what problem this would be solving that isn't already solved by 11.1V. At UK power levels, with sub £30 Chinesium motors, 11.1V spins my toys as fast as the mags can feed.

Are you chasing ultimate trigger response for a 1.8J DMR? (I'd note that the time to target will dwarf the difference in response).

Wankergunning? (Boo, hiss)

Just for the pure lulz of it?

Initially it was fitting 18650 cells in spaces, 3 cells too long and a lopsided nunchuck the alternative.

But if a lopsided nunchuck fits so would a 2+2 nunchuck. If I built a 3 cell pack it might as well be 4.

It seems to me that trigger response is more a feeling than something tangible, given the short time a cycle takes anyway. Faster is better but if it was crucial we'd all be precocking to save 50ms. Esp if your already running at 3S.

Anyhoo, I wondered if there was a motor happy to run at that voltage, perhaps in combination with the right gears. 

I do have a gun I considered dmring but Ive never really felt, other than the additional challenge, it was worth doing. Maybe over winter try it, for lulz.

Or maybe try pwm on my MOSFET. 

I need to play more...

• Supporters

I mean for the sake of science i'm curious how it pans out.

However for practicality the issue in airsoft generally isnt a lack of horsepower, its getting the gearbox to survive it.

Even on 11.1v you get a speediboi motor it'll eat a gearbox on standard gears let alone any high speed shenanigans.

And realistically a 7.4 with brushless and precocking is gonna serve up all the practical response you'd realistically want, after that you gotta sell that soul to the hpa devil.

I use 4s lipos for flight quite often, along with a smattering of 6s but if you're not going their change the motor limit its output I'd guess something is going to get lunched.

Last time I did something similar I ran a 4s wound motor (brushless) 2200kv on a race drone on 6s and the rpm was bananas, I did have a spotter and the comment was, "where the fuck did that go!" 

I run 4S pretty frequently in certain builds. In general, the motors seem to handle it fine. However, you should note that GATE Titans (mine and those of others) have been known to have issues on 4S. Perun, on the other hand, seems to deal with it fine.

I run 4S paired with a 38 TPA motor and 12:1 gears, which allows me to use whatever spring power I'd like (currently using a PDI 170%, which is right for my American fields' assault limits), and so if I want to I can simply up the spring power and start feeding it heavies and have myself a DMR.

But really, in my case, it's just for funsies. I saw a 4S on sale one day, and then saw the 38 TPA on ChiHai Shenzhen one day... and the two sort of came together.

I will say, the two instances I see people using 4S for practical purposes are DMRs and low-speed motor DSGs (which I have done), especially those that use overly strong springs. It's also a way to more cheaply mimic brushless trigger performance while not having to deal with the avoidance of certain ETUs and settings.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.